SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prohibition ended 85 years ago today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prohibition ended 85 years ago today Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Trivia question: which US State's vote ended prohibition?

I saw the question and thought it was Utah. I then did the Google and confirmed I was right.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read an interesting tidbit today

New Orleans was exempted from
Prohibition by the local anti-prohibition legislature

https://www.independent.co.uk/...s-guns-a8666671.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Speaking of...

Can anyone name the biggest opium dealer in the world of the 1700s and 1800s?

Jolly old England, of course, who over many decades sold millions upon millions of pounds of opium to China, largely against the express wishes and formal declarations of the Chinese government at the time, going to war with China twice (Opium Wars) to protect England's ability to sell the Opium they essentially stole from India via Colonialism to China. The English Crown and its military apparatus might be the world's first drug cartel, or certainly the world's first giant enterprise version. Our own government even helped them near the end, sending our Navy and amphibious forces to win a battle for them (Battle of the Pearl River Forts), and FDR's great grandfather was in the business back then.

Way to go, guys. Livin' by example. What better way to promote freedom and healthy living than to literally steal and export gagglefucks of metric tons of Opium to another country.

(eyeroll)

All things "drugs" in this and other countries have been absurdly broken since day one.

Whatever we all do moving forward, let's at least be honest about it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doctors would regularly prescribe alcohol for various "maladies" and I'm sure it was a big racket!

Today many doctors are making a fortune prescribing opiates. The more things change the more they remain the same.
Sure, many people would be better off if they didn't drink. Making it illegal doesn't change them or their desire to drink. The same is true with pot. Making it illegal just created more problems.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Brown Foreman was one of the 10 distillers who had a license to produce Medicinal Whiskey during Prohibition. Today they make a bourbon under the Old Forester label as part of their Whiskey Row series called 1920 Prohibition Style. The mashbill is supposedly modeled after their original 1920 offering, and, IMHO, is some outstanding bourbon. If they were making bourbon this good in 1920, no wonder Prohibition failed. Probably made more than a few folks go doctor shopping as well.

So, strictly as an exercise in historical research, mind you, I highly recommend you buy a bottle, experiment, and report your findings. All in the name of science, of course.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
While I do not agree with legalization of all drugs, I absolutely agree with federal legalization of marijuana. There is a lot of proof of how marijuana helps people including those with cancer like my mom.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
While I do not agree with legalization of all drugs, I absolutely agree with federal legalization of marijuana. There is a lot of proof of how marijuana helps people including those with cancer like my mom.

I don't disagree, and want to see quality of life improved for folks like your Mom, but the reality of legalization does not arrive without serious complications and unintended consequences.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Vices aren't, and never will be, crimes. It doesn't matter what kinds of prohibitions we try to impose, if people want to do something, they will. The percentage of the popualation using illegal drugs is exactly the same as it was before the creation of the DEA & Nixon's declaration of a "war" on drugs. Prohibition is a demonstably failed ideology. All we're doing now is throwing money into a pit & burning it to the tune of 61 billion dollars annually.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Apropos, just watching The Untouchables yesterday Smile. Did learn one new thing (my goal for each day) unrelated to the movie. Capone used to stay at RyeMabee in Monteagle, Tennessee on his way to his Miami estate from Chicago.

RyeMabee

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Still celebrating the end of Prohibition. Remember like it was yesterday. Big Grin

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
A little more detailed analysis later from the Cato Institute, compared to the brief "the way I wish the world was" analysis by the Harvard experts:

Prohibition Failure

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

I don't disagree, and want to see quality of life improved for folks like your Mom, but the reality of legalization does not arrive without serious complications and unintended consequences.

Like dangerous freedom?
The folks who push gun control say similar things.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post