SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    VIDEO: COPA releases footage of officer-involved shooting in Englewood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VIDEO: COPA releases footage of officer-involved shooting in Englewood Login/Join 
posted
Caught in the crossifire. One officer shoots another.

CHICAGO — The Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) released bodycam footage on Wednesday of an officer-involved shooting in Englewood last month.

According to COPA, Chicago police officers responded near 300 West 56th Place after police received a complaint for a trespassing incident on July 24.

University Park workers go unpaid
CPD officers reportedly monitored the area through a Police Observation Device (POD) and observed a group of individuals in a cul-de-sac. Several CPD officers arrived in the area in four unmarked police vehicles.

Upon their arrival, officers exited their vehicles to engage the group of individuals on foot as well as an individual driving a black sedan.

While on foot, multiple officers attempted to engage the driver of the black sedan, as the vehicle attempted to leave the area, striking a police vehicle, and ultimately fleeing the scene.

During this altercation, two officers discharged their firearms at the moving sedan. A CPD officer was hit in the crossfire and later taken to the University of Chicago Hospital with a gunshot wound to his hand.

Video of the Body cam here: https://wgntv.com/news/chicago...ooting-in-englewood/

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I will not watch any video of a police officer being shot, either by a criminal or by another police officer.

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate to say this, but I was there shortly after the incident.
I work in the District next door to 007- Englewood. (008th Dist)

I know the Sgt of this Tactical Team.

The media reports are (shockingly) wrong Eek about the initial stop, but not about the end result and the Officer getting shot in his hand by his partner.
Major area for drugs and gang violence on that little block and the next street. The guy they tried to stop is a higher ranking gang member / drug dealer.

Not a real fun call on the scene in the beginning (and thankful it was wrong!):
"Uuhhh, we're looking for a finger"
"Who's?"
"The Cops!"
"No, black guy or white guy! At least we know what to look for."

Thankfully it didn't get shot off.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I will not watch any video of a police officer being shot, either by a criminal or by another police officer.

I am the same way. My oldest son is a deputy sheriff in Los Angeles and I worry about him every day.

There is a video out there of an officer shooting his partner in the leg while trying to shoot a dog. Could not watch it.

Be careful out there.

PC

Posts: 1342 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I always hated responding to calls with an injured officer. Sure we poked them & played jokes on them, but we also hung out with them and partied with them. Of course you spend a lot of time working the same incidents.

They were brothers and we treated them as if we'd treat one of ours if injured. Often with more care just out of mutual respect.

I won't watch the video either but I hope the officer recovers and the appropriate lessons are learned and passed on from this incident.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37997 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post