SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird police shooting
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 38
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird police shooting Login/Join 
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

And just where did I say "rush in"? I was just trying to point out that there is a lot more going on in the car and when trying to find the location of the call then people realize. Radio comms, and trying to make heads or tails out of the crap dispatch puts out just to name a few. No one here is defending him. He screwed up and an innocent woman is dead for no other reason that Mr Noor scares easily. As I said his lawyer is going to spin this anyway he can to help his client but buying into the radio was off conspiracy is crap when the much simpler solution is present and more likely.

The rush in was implied by your description of the situation.

I suspect you're making much more of this detail than anyone else, trying so hard to tell us to ignore it. To everyone else, me anyway, it's a detail that stands out and seems a little odd not proof for a conspiracy theory. Either they were approaching this as a fairly routine situation or they weren't - the cameras suggest the former.

Anyway, if other reports, like how she was already talking to the driver when the passenger started shooting have any credibility, the 'she scared me!' defense sounds even weaker. In that case it seems more like he just decided 'this woman needs killing'. We'll have to see.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen anything "official" that Justine Ruszcyk was talking to the driver.

latest BCA update:

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/o...volved-Shooting.aspx

According to the BCA’s preliminary investigation, officers Harrity and Noor responded to a 911 call from a woman now identified as Ruszczyk of a possible assault near her residence just after 11:30 p.m. Saturday. Officer Harrity was driving. Officer Noor was in the passenger seat.

The officers drove south through the alley between Washburn and Xerxes avenues toward West 51st Street in search of a suspect. All squad lights were off.

As they reached West 51st Street, Officer Harrity indicated that he was startled by a loud sound near the squad. Immediately afterward Ruszczyk approached the driver’s side window of the squad. Harrity indicated that Officer Noor discharged his weapon, striking Ruszczyk through the open driver’s side window.

The officers immediately exited the squad and provided medical attention until medical personnel arrived. Ruszczyk was pronounced dead at the scene. Both officers have been placed on standard administrative leave.

The BCA’s investigation into the shooting is active and ongoing

not trying to cast blame on the victim, but it still seems odd she traveled so far from her home to the patrol car. Esp so late at night

Saw in an article that her husband was away on a business trip

Posts: 19576 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I also took a look at some data that I haven't seen reported. Homes in that neighborhood sell for between $300,000 and $700,000. $450,000 is the most common range.

Crime rates in that zip code are lower than the national average for both property and violent crimes.

Median age of residents is 40, 60% are married, and a 3.7% unemployment rate. 87.8% of the residents are white.

Sounds like a horrible place. I can certainly see why the officers involved in this event would be afraid to patrol that area.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I also took a look at some data that I haven't seen reported. Homes in that neighborhood sell for between $300,000 and $700,000. $450,000 is the most common range.

Crime rates in that zip code are lower than the national average for both property and violent crimes.

Median age of residents is 40, 60% are married, and a 3.7% unemployment rate. 87.8% of the residents are white.

Sounds like a horrible place. I can certainly see why the officers involved in this event would be afraid to patrol that area.

Fixed it for ya.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruszczyk

What's this lady's name again?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Ruszczyk

What's this lady's name again?

That's her real name. She had started using her fiancee's name, Damond.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Minneapolis Police Chief is selling the officer down the river in her press conference. She read an opening statement pretty much saying everything the officer did was wrong, and that justice would be served. She went on to say,

"Justine did not have to die."

"We are talking about one individual's actions."

http://www.startribune.com/aft...s-to-city/435651393/

Chief said that everything she's seen so far, and the info given to her by the BCA, has compelled her to take the stance that she did here.

In addition, Police Union is being shockingly quiet, which is not the norm for Bob Kroll in these types of situations.
http://www.startribune.com/min...-shooting/435510903/

Meanwhile, the BLM folks are not happy. Why, you might ask? They're bitter because "sure, you'll break tradition and go after the black, Somali, Muslim cop who shot a pretty blond woman from Australia!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but she hired him, likely under pressure from the female Democrat mayor.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Damond family has hired the lawyer who represented the Philando Castile family.

Lawyer Robert Bennett got a $3 million dollar settlement in the Castile shooting.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Yeah, but she hired him, likely under pressure from the female Democrat mayor.

Reporters here are beginning to dig into his training and hiring. Because the mayor pushed so hard for a Somali officer (he was the first), there is speculation that he may have had a little help completing the training.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Damond family has hired the lawyer who represented the Philando Castile family.

Lawyer Robert Bennett got a $3 million dollar settlement in the Castile shooting.

And he got that without ever going to court. I believe that may have been the policy limit for the city involved. Minneapolis may have a different amount, but I'm sure they are already in discussions with their insurer about the payout.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
four million , thats the rock bottom price

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
- BREAKING -

Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau has resigned, according to the department. Story to come.

Under her leadership this has been a department in distress for years.

She has not "had the back" of her officers and has greatly constrained them from tackling gang violence. Good riddance.

http://m.startribune.com/after...oversight/435864713/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
- BREAKING -

Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau has resigned, according to the department. Story to come.

Under her leadership this has been a department in distress for years.

She has not "had the back" of her officers and has greatly constrained them from tackling gang violence. Good riddance.

Linky

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.startribune.com/aft...oversight/435864713/

Mayor Betsy Hodges issued a statement immediately after Harteau's announcement, saying she asked for the chief's resignation.

"As far as we have come, I've lost confidence in the Chief's ability to lead us further — and from the many conversations I've had with people around our city, especially this week, it is clear that she has lost the confidence of the people of Minneapolis as well," Hodges said. "For us to continue to transform policing — and community trust in policing — we need new leadership at MPD.

"In conversation with the Chief today, she and I agreed that she would step aside to make way for new leadership. I asked Chief Harteau for her resignation, she tendered it, and I have accepted it," Hodges said.

Earlier Friday, members of the Minneapolis City Council turned up the heat on the city's police department in their first meeting since Damond's death.

Several council members said during the meeting and in subsequent interviews that they would like to oust Chief Janeé Harteau or amend the city charter to give the council oversight of the department.

The city's charter gives the mayor "complete" control over the department and its policies, making it distinct from other city departments. Council Vice President Elizabeth Glidden said Damond's shooting rebooted conversations to change that, likely via a public referendum. It would take a majority vote of the council to put it on the ballot, or a unanimous vote to make the change outright.

"With a charter change like that, essentially we would then be able to have the kind of oversight that happens with every other department," Glidden said.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
If leadership is the issue, the mayor should be next.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The new chief will be (check all that apply):

__Gay
__Transgender
__Female
__Black
__Handicapped
__Feminist
__Communist
__Muslim
__Asian

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
So when's Mayor Betsy Hodges going to resign?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
So when's Mayor Betsy Hodges going to resign?

When the dog in the other thread goes to anger management and marries a poodle.

I haven't followed this much but to me this is what happens when you try to enforce "equality" on certain jobs where only standards matter.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Has there been a successful and respected female Police Chief anywhere?

Not to sound too misogynistic, but I don't see them as ideal people for that line of work and it seems they are where they are for purely politically correct reasons.

No different than female Generals IMO and I really wouldn't want one commanding a combat division.

Posts: 20101 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post