SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washing D.C. Clerk won't issue wedding license due to New Mexico being a foreign country??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing D.C. Clerk won't issue wedding license due to New Mexico being a foreign country?? Login/Join 
Picture of Tooky13
posted
LA CRUCES, N.M. – A man said he and his then-fiancee had to prove New Mexico is a state after a District of Columbia clerk denied his driver’s license as proof of identity earlier this month.

The La Cruces Sun-News reports Gavin Clarkson, who lives in Las Cruces, and his fiancee attempted to apply for a marriage license at a D.C. license bureau on Nov. 20.
Clarkson said the clerk, however, wouldn’t accept his New Mexico driver’s license, believing he was a foreign citizen. The clerk allegedly said he would have to provide an international passport to get the license.

“She thought New Mexico was a foreign country,” he told the La Cruces Sun News. “All the couples behind us waiting in line were laughing.”Clarkson wrote about the incident on Facebook:

“You know you are from flyover country when you are applying for a marriage license, give them your New Mexico driver’s license, and they come back and say “my supervisor says we cannot accept international driver’s licenses. Do you have a New Mexico passport?” They went back to a supervisor to check if New Mexico was a state … TWICE!

The new Mrs. Clarkson thinks that the most hilarious part was when the clerk complemented me on my English. (For those that don’t know, Marina immigrated from Argentina in 1994 and became a US citizen fourteen years later).”

Clarkson said personnel eventually accepted his license along with the marriage application.

Leah H. Gurowitz, director of media and public relations for D.C. Courts, issued the following statement on the situation to the La Cruces Sun News:

“We understand that a clerk in our Marriage Bureau made a mistake regarding New Mexico’s 106-year history as a state. We very much regret the error and the slight delay it caused a New Mexico resident in applying for a DC marriage license.”

Link: https://wtkr.com/2018/11/30/co...-asked-for-passport/

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
New Mexico Tourism has a monthly column in their magazine called “One of Our 50 is Missing”! The stories are hilarious, but too often too true. Eek

https://www.newmexico.org/nmma...f-our-50-is-missing/

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2701 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’ve had similar things happen to me.

The funny thing is that NM is ranked at the bottom of the 50 states as far as education goes, yet I’m willing to bet that the majority of New Mexicans know they live in the States.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17280 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
While living in Michigan my mother mailed me a check from New Mexico probably about 1977 or so. I took it to a National Bank of Detroit branch and the teller told me "Foreign bank checks have to be taken downtown (Detroit) to cash them. I had to educate her that it had been a state since 1912 and was located between Arizona,Texas,Colorado and Utah.

https://www.newmexico.org/nmma...f-our-50-is-missing/

I ran into the same issue while living there for nine years when I had to deal with out of state matters. Probably the best was when I moved back to Michigan in 1988. I went to the Secretary of State to change my drivers license and register the cars here. Our drivers licenses were about half the size of Michigan's , she said something about foreign licenses but I am not sure if she thought it was out of the U.S. or just out of state. But she did have to get a supervisor to look it over.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will bet someone a dollar that this DC clerk is a millennial that was not taught the basic things most of us learned while in school. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is something I'd expect out of The Onion.

Posts: 13128 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Texans have been saying New Mexico isn't a state for years Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
This same thing was happening back in 1996 when people from New Mexico tried to buy Olympic tickets. Those agents certainly weren't millennials but they were just as ignorant as many are today.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That's pretty sad, but I believe I can top it...

I live in the Town of Gouldsboro. The "Town" consists of 6 separate "villages":

Gouldsboro
South Gouldsboro
West Gouldsboro
Prospect Harbor
Birch Harbor
Corea

The Operations Buildings of the Winter Harbor Naval Base were located within the boundaries of the Village of Corea. When the base closed, the Corea Site reverted back to the State. Various schemes were devised to re-purpose the site.

My wife contacted the State Representative for our district in with some questions about one of the schemes.

His response? "You'll have to contact the State Department, we don't deal with foreign countries."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15240 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Bless their heart....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a reason New Mexico decided to add "USA" to their license plates in the late 80's.

JD

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
We're not New and we're not Mexico!

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD2177:
There is a reason New Mexico decided to add "USA" to their license plates in the late 80's.

JD

That’s it.
I pointed out the “USA” on a New Mexico plate and explained why to a Norwegian friend who was visiting about that time and he could only shake his head in wonderment.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mother in law is a New Mexico native as her family made its way from the south in the 30s and NM in the 40s then to CA by the 1950s. And she’s as lily white as a sheet of copy paper. Multiple times in her life she’s had people look at forms and such when it says birthplace = NM tell her. You don’t look Mexican. Or you speak such good English for a Mexican. Etc. how can the population in general be so stupid. Wait. Don’t answer that

Posts: 4775 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took13,
I believe this having heard about people not knowing New Mexico is one of our states. Until this last issue NM had "USA" on their license plates for this reason.
Why is this not unusual? A half century ago the federal Dept. of Education removed Colonial and Early American history from the federal mandated curriculum __First grade to high school.
When I went to school these subjects were taught in every grade. (some every day) A neighbor of mine a graduate of Arizona U....thought the American Revolution took place "around 1200". My next door neighbors, both physician assistants had never heard of the Mexican American War.
Now you know why millions of Americans voted as they did in this last midterm election.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This didn't start with millennials. I remember reading a Dear Abby/Ann Landers letter from a NM resident lamenting the situation, about the time the first millennials were being born.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have met members of a subculture in D.C. who believe a lack of education and ignorance are virtues. That is all.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
While my son was living in Sweden, many people I spoke to would start describing all things Swiss. It’s the same basic problem, a similar name that provides an association. None of those people were millennials, but gen X’ers like myself. It’s easy to blame the millennial generation, but this has gone on for a long time.

I’m from Virginia. When I first moved west thirty years ago, I can’t recall how often people would start talking about Charleston and the tolls on the Turnpike. They had no idea that WV was a different state.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's pretty sad, but I believe I can top it...

Our modern Public School system graduate no doubt.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
It's like they've never looked at a map of the U.S. It's the 5th largest state in the union, pretty hard to miss. I could understand if it were Rhode Island or Delaware Big Grin

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post