SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2021 IRA Contributions - Investing Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 IRA Contributions - Investing Question Login/Join 
posted
I am looking for a little clarification on max 2021 contributions.

I will turn 50 this year so I can take advantage of the catch up.

It appears that max contributions for me this year will be $26,000. I have a standard 401k through work and I opened a Roth with Vanguard in 2020. It looks like the max I can put into the Roth for 2021 is $7,000.

Does that mean the max I can contribute to my 401k is $19,000? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
No, they are separate. You can contribute the max to each one. $7000 to your IRA and $26,000 to your 401(k).

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
A Roth is funded with post tax dollars. Should not effect your 401K limits. There is an adjusted income cap that prevents you from contributing to a Roth if you make over $140,000 as a single filer or $208,000 filing jointly.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
What did Vanguard say ?

0:01

Posts: 4212 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if your hell bent on making a Roth contribution on top of the 26k and you make more than the limit. You can contribute to a traditional non deductible IRA, then convert it to a Roth. Pay the tax but it’s a way to get money into a Roth.

Posts: 4775 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I do both as well. They are separate limits, you can take both to the allowable max

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post