SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KNIPEX locking pliers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KNIPEX locking pliers Login/Join 
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
I haven't had the need to replace any of my collection of various locking grips from the original Vise grips manufacturer or my Craftsman's (with the handy reverse lever action). However the mfg site of the originals is said to be back in action with yet higher quality products, here...

https://www.eaglegripusa.com/p..._cat/locking-pliers/

Smile

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orthogonal:
I haven't had the need to replace any of my collection of various locking grips from the original Vise grips manufacturer or my Craftsman's (with the handy reverse lever action). However the mfg site of the originals is said to be back in action with yet higher quality products, here...

https://www.eaglegripusa.com/p..._cat/locking-pliers/

Smile

That did not last long at all. The first USA-made Eagle Grip pliers started rolling out of the factory in 2021.

NOV 3, 2022 Malco Tools has announced that they are discontinuing their locking handle tool business, and will be selling their remaining inventory. In other words, they are shutting down production for their USA-made Eagle Grip locking pliers.

https://toolguyd.com/malco-eag...pliers-discontinued/

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Tekton pliers are reasonably priced, well made, and made in Taiwan (not China). Taiwanese tool manufacturing is reputationally very good, like the Japanese and cars.

I consider locking pliers to be a last resort. As Aeteocles notes, Tekton makes a reasonably priced, well-made line of them, not top shelf but close to it. When I decided to replace my decades old collection of mangled "Vise Grips", I was able to buy a set of 7 selected sizes and configurations from Tekton for <$100. They feature the "squeeze to release" method of opening, which seems much more intuitive, but I still find myself trying to open them the old Vise Grip way. That is reflective mostly of how infrequently I use them.

I own 3 dozen or more Knipex pliers of various types and sizes, but I could not see spending the money for something I so rarely use. For those interested in a good German brand of locking pliers, check out NWS.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
NOV 3, 2022 Malco Tools has announced that they are discontinuing their locking handle tool business, and will be selling their remaining inventory. In other words, they are shutting down production for their USA-made Eagle Grip locking pliers.

My Eagle Grip locking pliers arrived today, and they look and feel like I should keep them in the gun safe instead of the tool chest. "USA" engraved all over. Very nice, thanks for the link. BTW they are sold on Amazon.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just ordered the 10" and 7" Eagle grip pliers.
That town in NE. was hurt bad when Irwin pulled out, had high hopes this would last longer.

Posts: 418 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post