SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What kind of mushrooms are these?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of mushrooms are these? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
If they’re nonpoisonous and tasty they’d make a good meal.

I collected wild mushrooms when I lived in MN, but I don’t know the varieties that I see here in San Diego. I’d sure like to know the name of these – they’re the only kind that I see here that are big enough for a meal. I don’t think that they’re amanitas…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with the ID but if you're going to be in California for a while, this might be a good investment:
http://mushroaming.com/Field_G...hrooms_of_California

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A picture from the side would help.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
without more views of gills, stem, etc....it would be a difficult i.d.

they appear like they are on the downhill - fully opened and now declining.

if you can i.d. them, and they are good'ns, pluck the next troop you find growing and cook'm up!

we have been feasting on "lobster mushrooms" an easy variety to i.d....a very tasty mild flavor mushroom.

with eggs...they turn 'em PINK!

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
They appear to be a bunch of fun guys.

Posts: 3239 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Looks like Chlorophyllum molybdites. We get them in our yard here in Texas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...rophyllum_molybdites

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the reply, but I don’t think that’s it. In your link, the top of the mushroom looks somewhat similar to mine, but the gills are gray whereas the gills of mine are white, as seen in this earlier photo of the same kind of mushroom:

I’m beginning to suspect that mine is a variety of the Parasol Mushroom:

www.urbanmushrooms.com/index.php?id=5

The stem of my mushroom is shorter though. Some links say that some parasols are delicious.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
There are thousands of species of mushrooms in the US. Many of them are significantly toxic. There is enough variation in appearance within species that identifying whether a specific mushroom is toxic or not can be challenging.

Chowing down on a mushroom that looks like some pictures on the internet of a mushroom someone said is OK to eat might work out fine, but it's also a great way to make yourself miserably sick.

There are even a few (with colorful names like "death cap" and "destroying angel") that are toxic enough that eating one mushroom can be enough to kill you.

Basically what I'm saying is... if you don't know enough about mushrooms that you don't have to ask what it is (unless you are asking an experienced mushroom hunter who is there with you, looking at the mushrooms in person) you are probably better off getting your mushrooms from the grocery store.

I'm not particularly knowledgable. I know a few mushroom species that are distinctive and don't have any toxic lookalikes that I will pick and I stay the hell away from everything else.

If you want to learn to ID mushrooms, the bible is "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora. It's over 1000 pages long, lists over 2000 species of mushrooms, and most of the book is a scientific identification key (basically, a giant text flow chart to distinguish between species). It's still a good idea to have an experienced mushroomer help you for a while and make sure you clearly understand all the terms and techniques.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maladat,

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the reply, but I don’t think that’s it. In your link, the top of the mushroom looks somewhat similar to mine, but the gills are gray whereas the gills of mine are white, as seen in this earlier photo of the same kind of mushroom:

The stem of my mushroom is shorter though. Some links say that some parasols are delicious.

Same mushroom as I posted above but showing the underside with white gills. Looks the same as yours but I’m no expert.

http://foragedfoodie.blogspot....n-poisonous.html?m=1

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
^^^^^^^^

Same mushroom as I posted above but showing the underside with white gills. Looks the same as yours but I’m no expert.

http://foragedfoodie.blogspot....n-poisonous.html?m=1

Without a doubt, that's it. I thank you VERY much, drabfour. SigForum comes through, yet again.

Serious about crackers

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They aren't magic. Frown

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Seems I recall a couple of news items, some years ago, where noted mushroom experts died by eating poisonous mushrooms.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post