SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shipping alcohol via USPS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping alcohol via USPS Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
I want to send a single bottle of hard liquor and some cigars to a friend as a thank you, and I know that it used to be illegal to ship alcohol via USPS (and if you do a search, most articles still state it is, although they're dated)

However, under restricted items on the USPS' website, alcohol is no longer listed.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

Does anyone know if the rule changed?

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, it's still a big no.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
If you search under restricted matter, intoxicating liquid (defined as being in excess of .5 percent alcohol) is prohibited.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_006.htm

I honestly believe it has more to do with taxes than anything else. You can ship it FedEx or UPS as they are licensed for interstate transport.

Check the recipient's state to verify limits on amounts if applicable.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Looks like UPS it is. Luckily it's an in-state shipment.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not use USPS. FedEx or UPS packaged well and not declared are you best options.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I could swear that it used to be possible and I had previously done it in on trips to wine country.

This summer, I made a trip to Central Coast California wine country and was shocked I couldn't ship it (to be fair, every winery had offered but I was trying to ship it all at once instead of getting multiple shipments). UPS' store did bubble wrap each bottle, and double box it for me to bring it as checked luggage. The assholes at TSA (airport in wine country) opened the double box, and opened every fucking bubble wrap. I was simultaneously pissed and surprised that their re-wrapping didn't cause breakage.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23305 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I could swear that it used to be possible and I had previously done it in on trips to wine country.

This summer, I made a trip to Central Coast California wine country and was shocked I couldn't ship it (to be fair, every winery had offered but I was trying to ship it all at once instead of getting multiple shipments). UPS' store did bubble wrap each bottle, and double box it for me to bring it as checked luggage. The assholes at TSA (airport in wine country) opened the double box, and opened every fucking bubble wrap. I was simultaneously pissed and surprised that their re-wrapping didn't cause breakage.

UPS and FedEx have cracked down and are actually enforcing their own policies if alerted to actual contents. Many liquor stores that previously shipped have quit shipping at all or greatly limited where they'll ship. There's a wine exemption that many used to ship hard liquor,kind of don't ask don't tell. The great state of New York City is largely to blame for the recent issues as they raised a stink in the name of safety but really tax revenue.

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I have, on more than one occasion, shipped homebrew beer with the description of, "yeast samples in suspension".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bubble wrapping bottles and packing peanuts to protect the bottle(s) works great. Adding some dry macaroni in a couple empty 16 oz water bottles as part of your "packaging" masks the sound of liquid sloshing in a bottle when shaken for "inspection".

Or so I've heard...

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
I was able to do it once because I was sending the BOTTLE. The bottle had worth because of its age. The fact that there was some kind of liquid in it was inconsequential. Razz

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10710 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post