SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Older Honda pilot questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Honda pilot questions Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So I have currently given up on my quest for a decent Presmog Dodge diesel pickup. Although I am still waiting on some info from a member here.
Missed on a couple that were possibilities. Almost impossible to find with lower miles especially in 4wd. Anyway, thinking of upgrading to a 2004-2008 Honda Pilot. Either 4wd or the FWD version would do. Condition, miles and price will dictate. I would prefer a 4wd. I would like to be between 100k-130k. Would like to be around 8-10k.
I have heard of some transmission issues with the earlier versions. I think by this time that has been fixed. Not sure though. What should I be on the lookout for?
I believe I can tow 4-5k lbs with this rig.

Would like some feedback. Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Honda trans issues were largely 98-04, IIRC.

The 4wd on the Pilot is a slip & grip, unless manually engaged, which I believe can only be done in 1st, 2nd & reverse.

Timing belt, interference engine. Due every 60k, IIRC. Figure about $1k part/labor, if not documented done on time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Timing belt, interference engine. Due every 60k, IIRC. Figure about $1k part/labor, if not documented done on time.

105K cadence for the timing belt.

old rugged cross,

I'm on my 4th Pilot; with my first one purchased in April, 2010. I've had: '04, '06, '12 and now a '16. The only reason I've gotten different ones is I tend to get bored with my vehicle after a few years and I like the newer technology.

In my 10 years of driving them I've only had to do the normal wear out items: brakes, oil, tune up, tires, shocks/struts. I take it to my mechanic at 105K and have him do the timing belt, water pump, ect and that runs about $650.

I'm not sure where you live so I'll say the one thing I would look for is the wheel well rust on the rear wheel wells. Here in Ohio we have lots of salt on the roads in the winter and the wheel wells tend to rust on the portion directly above the tire. Honda finally got it right with the '16 and put a 2" hard rubber strip there instead of steel so they can't rust there anymore. Other then that, I have nothing else that I would say you should watch for. Drive the hell out of it and enjoy!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I had a 2004 Pilot EXL AWD. Drove it for ten years, till it had about 160k miles. Towards the end I put a lot of money into the brake system, but otherwise it was a good vehicle. Driving in deep snow was easy. The gas mileage was about 17/21. The factory stereo system was awful and I went aftermarket soon after buying it.

Went with a Subaru after that and love it.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I need something I can tow 4000lbs give or take. Not just around but on occasion significant distances.
I do not need three row seating but two with a good cargo space. We were thinking about a new 4Runner but things as they are now that is on hold for the forseeable future. Used 4runners are insanely priced for what you get so that is out. A Pilot seems to check off all the boxes for the most part. I need something that has some size to it so crossovers are out. My wife loves the used RX330 Lexus. So this is going to replace my Astro van and is to be used as my man rig, lol.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

105K cadence for the timing belt.

Thanks, been a while since I've been in a Honda & couldn't remember for sure.

If you can DIY it, the parts are only about 4-600 & a few hours labor.

IIRC when we did my TL, we did timing belt, water pump, rad hoses, brake pads on all 4 corners & 1 front wheel bearing & were out about 625 in parts. DIY, so no $ labor costs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I helped a friend look for a Pilot a few years ago. We ended up purchasing a used 2006 Honda Pilot Limited AWD from the original owner for $6K. It had 160K miles and all documented in a thick book. The only problem she had last year was one of the power window motor/regulator went bad. She has performed regular oil changes and maintenance and the timing belt change. She is at approx. 225K+ miles and still going strong. I would recommend them. I hope this helps. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 2005 Pilot that we purchased new in 12/05 that has just reached the 200K mile mark.

We have kept up with all of the regular and major maintenance pursuant to Honda's recommendations, including the timing belt service at 125K IIRC.

I really do not recall any major repairs beyond this. Brakes, tires and batteries of course and maybe some wheel bearings or a tie rod or two. The transmission did require at one point a sensor to be replaced, and the exhaust from the cat-con back was replaced after my wife was hit from behind a year or so ago.

The CEL is on now and it codes out as likely needing a valve adjustment, which is to be expected for high-milage vehicles. My local garage has quoted ~$650 total for the work.

Overall the Pilot has been a great vehicle for our family (of four) and it will become my son’s car after he gets his dl in a few months.

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Those of you who still have their Pilots and/or tow with them should check their owner's manuals for max towing capacity and fill in the OP. 4000 lbs. seems like a lot for anything but occasional short trips.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the Pilot is like the Odyssey of that era, make sure the trim level has the tow capacity. Basically an external cooler or the transmission.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I have 2003 that's at 273K and still running strong! As mentioned above, the 2003-2004 models had a higher than normal issue with the transmission and it was fixed in the 2005 model and up.

Normal driving - 69-70mph, I'm getting about 20.5 mpg in the winter and 22.25-22.5 mpg in the summer.

In city driving: pretty bad gas mileage, probably about 13-14 mpg.

What's been fixed: replaced struts, an engine mount, replaced rotors twice - resurfaced once, brake pads x 2, valve adjustment twice, replaced seatbelt buckle (kept throwing error which because the buckle is connected to SRS caused the airbag to be disabled until you clear the code), shift interlock solenoid, lower control arms, sway bar bushings.

There was a recall for 2003-2008 models because of the airbag, should be fixed for free.

Pros: compared to other crossovers or SUVs, it has a surprising amount of interior room and due to its boxy design: can stack alot of stuff in the back.

Cons: gas mileage, kinda a sluggish beast when it comes to acceleration.

I would buy another Pilot in a heartbeat!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

The CEL is on now and it codes out as likely needing a valve adjustment …

P0172?

I have done valve adjustments on this engine and often find the exhaust valves tight, sometimes even completely closed up.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if you're going to tow alot, you definitely want to get a transmission cooler.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
If the Pilot is like the Odyssey of that era, make sure the trim level has the tow capacity. Basically an external cooler or the transmission.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The folks we carpool our kids to school with have a Pilot from that era. The thing lives in the shop...it's in there once if not twice a month. Our friend told my wife that they have over $4000 into it in the last 6 months alone. It has left her stranded on the side of the road more than once this year. They take good care of it, too, and all of the work and maintenance gets done at reputable shops.

My BIL has one and it has been ok. There have been a few minor issues, but he fixed them himself.

Or pastor had one that he got rid of when the transmission took a dump around 150,000 miles.

From what I've seen of them, I don't think I'd take one if you gave it to me.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 2005 Pilot has 210,000 miles on it and have pretty much done all maintenance per the manual. At around 175,000 we replaced a bunch of suspension parts that were worn. At that time we also replaced a couple transmission sensors causing CELs, and we also replaced the catalytic converter soon afterward. Overall it's been very reliable and our mechanic says he's seen Pilots last 300K to 350K.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We had a 2004 and did have the transmission issue. We sold it and bought a 2011 that is still going strong. It's the 4WD version, mostly used by my wife. I'll probably buy another Pilot at some point.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
what is/was the transmission issue in the 2004 and earlier?

One other question. What about buying one that spent several years in AK? would that be a concern for some reason?

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
We had an 07 EX-L up until a few months ago. It had around 220k on the clock if I remember correctly. It was a fantastic vehicle. We did tow some dirtbikes occasionally, I wouldn't call it a great tow vehicle for heavy items tho. The 3.5 V6 in those year pilots is bulletproof, as is the driveline. Timing belt and waterpumps are the main MX items.

My main gripe with towing is that you cannot downshift manually on hills.

The AWD system has a feature called VTM-4. This can be used under 20 MPH and in 1st or 2nd gear only. It stands for Variable Torque Management and is used when added traction is needed. It isn't a true 4wd system with a low range, but it is plenty adequate for what the majority of use. We loved our Pilot and only got rid of it due to the rust monsters getting hold of the rear quarter panels.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
timing belt at 100k iirc, not 60.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
what is/was the transmission issue in the 2004 and earlier?

One other question. What about buying one that spent several years in AK? would that be a concern for some reason?

On my Pilot the transmission would start to slip when under strain. After selling it, a little research showed that it was a problem and that Honda did not stand behind it.

Personally, I would not buy a vehicle from Alaska, too much winter.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post