SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Older Honda pilot questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older Honda pilot questions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:

The CEL is on now and it codes out as likely needing a valve adjustment …

P0172?

I have done valve adjustments on this engine and often find the exhaust valves tight, sometimes even completely closed up.

That code nbr sounds familiar, and I think there was a suffix on it that id’d the specific cylinder(s). I’ll look for my notes.

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For NOT towing, they are great.

Friends have two older Pilots (those years), and another one a 2011. I’ve driven them, and I wouldn’t want to haul 4-5k around the country, especially up hills. The engine might be fine but the trans may not. We hauled a 4,000 pound-ish travel trailer with the 2011 and it had obvious trans smell after 45 miles or so of up and down road (not mountain, just hills).

Older ones are part of the Takata airbag recall. Important if you’re not in cold/cool areas of the country.

Alaska is many places. It’s big. Southeast barely has winter. Southcentral, where most Alaskans live, usually gets to -20 or -30 F a couple times every year. Fairbanks, Fort Wainwright, and Eielson AFB are really cold. Cold starts are brutal on engines and transmissions. Was it in Juneau? Sure. Was it in Fairbanks, never plugged in, and cold started and driven away immediately every winter for 10 years? Nope nope nope.

I was in Kenny Lake near Glenallen some years back and the school closed at 50 below zero because the busses wouldn’t start, even plugged in. Other teams didn’t like playing hockey in Kenny Lake; they had an outdoor rink.

Posts: 520 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post