SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HS sprinter records remarkable 9.98-second 100-meter dash
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HS sprinter records remarkable 9.98-second 100-meter dash Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“A high school sprinter has posted the fastest 100-meter dash time of any American under the age of 20.

Matthew Boling, an 18-year-old senior at Strake Jesuit College Prep in Houston, ran the event in just 9.98 seconds at Texas's Region III-6A track and field meet. The time was not only a personal best, but a new high school record for all conditions.

Unfortunately for Boling, it won't count as the official record because he had a 4.2 mph tailwind at his back, according to Yahoo.

The official 100-meter high school dash record belongs to Trentavis Friday, who recorded a 10-second flat mark in North Carolina in 2014.
……
Boling's 9.98 mark was no fluke.

He was previously clocked at 10.22 seconds earlier in March and in the 200-meter dash, he's posted an impressive time of 20.58 seconds.

For comparison, Jamaica's Usain Bolt is the current world record holder in both the 100- and 200-meter dash, with times of 9.58 seconds and 19.19 seconds, respectively. (Bolt recorded his 100-meter dash record despite a slight 0.9mph headwind)…”

https://mol.im/a/6977759

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Perhaps Boling will improve his technique and get stronger and faster. It would be exciting to see.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Wow....

'Some people call me the bogeyman,' Boling told KHOU-TV. 'I heard some people calling me the horseman. I've heard different stuff.'

White Lightning

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Hell, he had .2 lost at the start. He'll blow away some records.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Kid has some "go."

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Matthew Boling, the Texas high school sprinter and viral sensation dubbed 'white lightning,' has broken a nearly 30-year-old national record in the 100-meter dash.

The 18-year-old senior at Houston Strake Jesuit ran a wind-legal time of 10.13 seconds at the Texas state high school track and field championships on Saturday.

Saturday's performance broke the National Federation of High Schools record of 10.15, which was set in 1990 by another Texan, Henry Neal of Austin Greenville High School.

This is the first season that Boling has competed in the event.

Last month in the Texas 6A Region III boys meet, Boling went viral by running the race in a wind-aided 9.98 seconds, which was a national record under all conditions.
On Saturday, though, Boling didn't need the wind to make history…”

https://mol.im/a/7020421

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8976 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
He isn't too bad anchoring the 4x400 either, check out the gap he closes in this race Eek

https://youtu.be/g0NPo8ZyF_o

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The kid was running 20MPH. How is a 4MPH "tailwind" going to help him?

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
He’s pretty fly for a white guy.

https://youtu.be/_AKrjSHoFsI

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Running into a self-generated wind of 16mph instead of 20. We are talking tenths to hundredth's of a second.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

This is why I’m not a physicist

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/move.html

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's on track to be the World's Fastest White Guy!

Posts: 2486 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Monday, Mar 15, 2021

“But no finish at the meet was as scintillating as Boling’s 200 final. Famous for his quarter-track comeback in the 4x400-meter state championship in high school, Boling led all the way in the 200-meter NCAA finals. But this time his win was a major upset and it took everything Boling had to hold off LSU’s Terrance Laird at the end.

Boling’s time of 20.19 seconds shattered the UGA school record and bested Laird by 1-100th of a second. It was the proverbial photo finish…”

www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.c...JA/%3foutputType=amp

Video:

https://youtu.be/oT52S0K-GUo

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
track is fun to watch

my kids have always been mid-distance / distance runners

but i get a kick out of watching the sprints / hurdles too

watching the explosiveness makes me think there should be WAY more pulled muscles... ahhh the benefits of youth Big Grin

growing up i went to a 'black high school'. i didn't run track but on the football team i was known as 'fast for a white boy'. lol

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
They should require two runs in opposite directions within an hour and average them like they do the cars on the salt flats. Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The black guys got to be pissed.

Having sat through many HS track meets, it's amazing the variety of talent per discipline.

P229

Posts: 3833 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
His 200 time is as impressive as his 100 time.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been following that kid for two years now and he is quite amazing. I have watched him receive the baton in last place in the relay and smoke the entire field. It’s really shocking when you see how m run against some of the fastest wide receivers and defensive backs in college. Yes they are not focused entirely on running but you know those positions are all guys who can fly and he just walks away from all of them.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sorry that I have to report that Matthew didn’t do well in the 100m Olympic trials:

“Former Georgia All-American Garrett Scantling had the breakthrough every decathlete dreams of, earning his first trip to the Olympics on Sunday.

Scantling was one of three current or former Georgia track stars to secure a place on Team USA for the Tokyo Olympics at the U.S. Olympic Track & Field Trials at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore., on Sunday.

Georgia sprinter Matthew Boling was not among those athletes, however, finishing 14th in the 100-meter semifinal (10.22).

Boling, a sophomore from Houston, will be back in action in the 200 meters on Friday…”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...RU/%3foutputType=amp

Serious about crackers

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:He's on track to be the World's Fastest White Guy!

Say, howsabout him just being an American who is the World's fastest guy??

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post