SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New dry dog food recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New dry dog food recommendation Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Our adult male JRT/border collie mix seems to have had enough of the Iams in the purple bag. He is eaten it for several years now but lately seems less interested in it. seems fine otherwise. He will eat treats and appropriate table scraps.
So I am thinking of buying a different food for him and am looking for recommendations. He gets a 2/3's of a cup morning and night with some homemade meat and veggies mixed in.
He is about 7 years old. Thanks guys and gals

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We’ve been buying Kirkland Salmon & sweet potato or the same flavor 4 Health from Tractor Supply.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Our almost 2yo Bull Mastiff and elderly GSD both eat a brand called Wellness… it’s a grain inclusive formula. The whole “grain free” hype was a marketing ploy, IMO (and our veterinarian). Anyway, it’s good stuff. I find it locally and from Chewy’s.

https://www.wellnesspetfood.co...e-health-lamb-barley

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fromm. I rotate flavors each bag. No ill effects ever

Family owners and have never had a dog food recall I’m aware of

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
… forgot to mention this site:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Our Newfie/Shepard gets Nutrisource Large Breed in a variety of flavors. In a pinch she got the Iams and I know she much preferred the Nutrisource. The 2 little Teaddy Bears get it as well in small bites. Good solid turds and not 6 a day.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We feed the beasts Fromm and Ivet, mixing it up for variety. We toss Nupro supplement powder on top.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicken Soup for the Soul Chicken, Turkey, & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Dog Food - Adult, all breeds.

65lb. Black Mouth Cur thrives on it going on seven years now.

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Used to do Chicken Soup for the Soul dog food, but stopped maybe two years ago except for a few bags (nothing wrong with it but can't make it over to the store that sells it with my work schedule when they are open). I have been getting Costco's salmon and sweet potato bag. I have labs so they don't care and eat everything anyway. I just cared that it was good for them and both of those ones are highly rated.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Inukshuk is what we use now. Came in high regard by my buddy who is a K9 Handler and trainer.
Pup loves it and here skin issues pretty much disappeared.
https://www.inukshukpro.com/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vet recommended Pedigree; said it has never had a recall. My dogs are constant-feed, and seem to prefer the Pedigree over the Blue Buffalo and other premium brands I've fed them in the past.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Royal Canin dog food. All of my Retrievers and Rottweiler eat it vigorously and my PENN-trained vets (the best in the world IMHO) swear by it.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We use the same brand that dry-fly mentioned, Wellness Complete Health. Our dog likes the deboned chicken and oatmeal version.
https://www.wellnesspetfood.co...oned-chicken-oatmeal

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We switched to Gentle Giant, not cheep. Check out https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ours [Border/Dalmatian mix, we think] gets 4Health from Tractor Supply
https://www.tractorsupply.com/...od-45-lb-bag-1424209

Rated well by the above mentioned reviewer site
https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com...health-dog-food-dry/

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Our Borderdoodle got fussy and we had to change from Kirkland brand. Nutro Ultra, chicken, lamb and salmon is what we went with and it's worked out well for 6+ months. It was recommended by a friend's SO who is very into keeping all their animals healthy.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of a dog getting bored with their food, especially if you are dressing it up. Are you sure there is nothing else going on health wise with your pup?

Our breeder recommended Victor Hi-Pro Plus and that is what he has had all his life with occasional wet food toppers or bone broth

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
We've been feeding our little dog Purina Pro Plan, in various formulas as he grew. Purina has just about any formulation to meet your needs. He has thrived on it. Right now he's on Lamb and Rice, with a few squirts of salmon oil and some additional probiotics added both of which he really loves.

That's just what we've used with good success. The dog food market is over 100 Billion so there are a lot of options.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
We feed all of our Golden Retriever service dog cadets some variety of Fromm kibble. It's a high quality food at a reasonable price. I use Nature's Logic for my dog at home.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Orijen for the dog and cats.

Extremely high quality and you'll pay for it however the pets love it and from their poo, it's compact and firm aka they are extracting maximum nutrition from the food. None of that runny and soft formed stools.

Orijen

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post