SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone running BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone running BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A? Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
I hit a deer on the way to work this morning. It pushed the front bumper into the driver side tire. I probably could have made this set last another year but since I'm replacing the one tire I'm going to replace them all.

The truck (2018 Nissan Titan XD 4x4) came with General Grabber. They are supposed to be 45k tires but the truck has 26k and 2 of the tires is almost down to the wear indicator. I also wasn't impressed with their performance in snow (what little we get).

So what do you guys think of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2? I've never had this aggressive of a tire. I don't want a rough or loud ride. We also tow a 25ft Airstream with a dry weight of 7,500lbs. I need a tire that will support that (any light truck tire should be fine).

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the All-Terrain T/A, but I had Touring T/As on my Honda Accord and Long Trail T/As on both my CR/V and TrailBlazer. They all performed well under all conditions.

The Long Trail T/As were not particularly noisy, I thought. And, unlike many, more aggressive off-road-y tires: They performed well in the rain.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want a rough or loud ride.

It's why I run Nitto Terra Graphler on my Titan.
I will be running the Terra Graphler 2 on my next set.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that will only put the BFG T/A's on his truck (Chevy 2500 2wd) and he hauls all kinds of things. He usually gets 40-50K on these. I'd say that is pretty good.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of running them on my 4wd dodge diesel but wonder if running them in summer heat will wear them down more quickly than other tires?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19231 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I had them on my 3/4 dodge, and I now have them on my Tacoma, they have been great tires for me, and I had over 40k on them before I had to replace them, my Tacoma only has 15k on it and they show no wear.

Archerman

Posts: 2488 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
I had several sets of All Terrains on my 2500 HD. I was getting about 40 thousand out of them but I tend to change tires before they get too low. Never had any issues with them but they could-be noisy when they started getting lower tread. I put the Nitto Terra Grabbers on last set. I liked them but traded the truck before I had them long.

When I replaced the factory tires on my 2018 Z-71 I put the Nittos on…

Posts: 1226 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
When I last bought tires it was a three way tie between the BFG's, Cooper ATP's, and the Nittos's.
I chose the Coopers based on past experience and price. Any of the three would have been fine though.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I have Goodrich Trail-Terrain T/A. This was a new design when I got them last October. Not as aggressive a tread pattern, so they're pretty smooth on the street. This is the first set of tires that haven't had the corners chewed off the lugs prematurely since getting the cabin. Ten miles of gravel road each way. I'd definitely get them again, when needed.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I had those exact tires on my '92 YJ Jeep, and absolutely loved them. This tire seemed to do it all. Amazing off-road. Even drove them through 2-foot snow and didn't feel like putting the chains on. But solid street tire as well. Don't remember them being loud, though caveat Wranglers aren't exactly quiet cars in general. No appreciable wear by the time I sold the vehicle.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16385 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you spend 90%+ of your time on dry pavement and you want the quietest AT tire around, Nitto Terra Grapplers or TG G2's are where it's at, imo.

The BFG's are pretty much the standard in A/T tires but they are expensive, can be hard to find, and, imo, very firm. I think they are louder than Nittos but not crazy loud.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10496 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run the heavier duty E rated Ko2 on my Tacoma. 20k miles and tread life is great. Stiffer ride than the c rated same tire. So check it out. May not notice as much on a full size like a titan. 6 ply vs 10 ply sidewalk is the difference

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have K02 on my LX. It's a popular tire. I go off pavement but don't crawl rocks or intentionally seek out mud. Mostly just rough trails, sand, gravel/rocks, snow. Some low water.

Over stock tires (p metric), they are harder to stop, slow to accelerate, lower gas mileage. Acceptable to me to have more confidence off pavement.

Another popular tire for this truck seems to be the Falken Wildpeak.

I'm undecided whether or not the K02s are good and not sure if the Falken are better. But I haven't had issue with them yet (got stuck once on a beach but got out w/o assistance by turning off TRAC/VSC and locking center diff). It'll be awhile before I need to decide between K02 and Falken.

If I planned to stick to pavement and easy off pavement, I might consider the Conti TerrainContact as I've been happy with multiple purchases of their ExtremeContact DWS for cars.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I ran the TA/KO tires on my 1996 Explorer V8 for many years ( I still own the Explorer ).

At the beginning of the tire life I loved them ... but they wore out too fast for me and the love was lost.

Now I need to replace again but am looking for a better option.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://coopertire.com/en-us/f...es/discoverer-at3-4s

I put these on my Frontier 4x4 and have been impressed so far. Excellent in the snow, good in the rain and pretty quiet.
Just a thought.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Had them. Changed to Nitto Terra Grapplers. Nitto much better.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5061 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
I run the heavier duty E rated Ko2 on my Tacoma. 20k miles and tread life is great. Stiffer ride than the c rated same tire. So check it out. May not notice as much on a full size like a titan. 6 ply vs 10 ply sidewalk is the difference

This is what I have on my 3/4 Dodge Diesel. Been great so far.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I have KO2s on my RAM 2500, and they were an excellent choice! Ran them through the snow in the mountains in Oregon and now the South Texas heat, and I tow a 37 foot travel trailer with no signs of wear (E-rated). Totally worth the price IMMHO. 27K miles so far and really no signs of wear, and I rotate them every 5k (thanks to Discount tire). Not noisy at all, and they spit rocks the way an on/off road tire should.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I have KO2’s, LT 285/70 17 Load Range C on my ‘12 Wrangler 2dr Sport. Probably about 14k on them at this time.

I did screw up as I should have rotated them last fall and did so three weeks ago when I had to replace a caliper and brake hose. I could feel some high and low spots but rotated them expecting the worst with noise and vibration until they wore in. This was the first rotation on them.

I was pleasantly surprised as I had to do a banzai run to Northern Michigan a couple days later. No abnormal shake or higher road noise.

While these are stiffer than the P series Goodyear Duratracs I previously had the road noise level is lower traction in snow is better than the Duratracs and while I haven’t done any wheeling in mud or sand of any amount I expect them to perform as well as the Duratracs if not better.

My Jeep is not a serious off roader, mainly highway miles and majority of those are on paved roads.

Judging by the tread remaining I expect to get 50k or better out of these. I got 55k out of the Duratracs.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8134 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just about to the end of my second set of LT rated KO2's on my silverado 1500. They are a harder, heavier tire for sure, I definitely under work them. With rotating every 6k miles I've got almost 120k out of this last set. They are great in the snow. They started getting noisier around 75k. I've also never had a flat tire with either set.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post