SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just pulled the trigger on Tesla Solar
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just pulled the trigger on Tesla Solar Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
In June (I think), Tesla announced that they were dropping the price on their solar panels + install. The promise was that they would be the cheapest way to get solar panels on your roof, and they offered a price match guarantee--if you can get an proposal from any other solar installer, they will match you on a price per KWh basis.

My wife and I recently moved into a bigger/older house, and the power bill was a little out of hand with the AC usage (apparently, new babies need to be kept cool. Who knew?). Figured that since I'm working from home now with the COVID-19 nonsense, I might as well take advantage of this time to schedule contractors and whatnot so I can be here to supervise. So, off I go to looking for solar.

HOLY CRAP! Telsa undercut my other proposals by like 30-40%. Their pricing is flat rate, and pretty transparent. It comes out to be pretty close to $12k, installed, for an 8kwh system (after the 26% tax credit).

Nearest competitor? Almost $20k! (Again, after tax credits). Another competitor, $23k. What a joke. How do these other guys stay in business?

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. But, at my current energy usage, these panels should pay themselves off after 5.5 years, then it's free power after that. Panels have a 25 year warranty, and if I sell the house, the panels should add a little bit of resale value.

Anyway, Tesla has a referral program. If I can make 10 referrals, I can get a free Powerwall backup battery. That would go a long way towards my emergency preparedness, sooooo if anyone needs a referral, let me know!

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have a power wall with Tesla.

Get 2 batteries if you want to run you entire house.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I have a power wall with Tesla.

Get 2 batteries if you want to run you entire house.

I didn't really look into the Powerwall yet, out of my budget.

But you need two for 220v? or is there some other reason for two?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
It's because with only one battery, they usually only run specific appliances. Not the whole house. Usually no AC.

With 2 batteries you can run everything for a long time. One battery, not so much.

I am having my second battery installed soon. We are in the que.

The batteries are expensive.

With the rolling black outs during fire season we want to be covered with power.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I wish those prices and Tesla installation were available on the east coast.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
HOLY CRAP! Telsa undercut my other proposals by like 30-40%.

How big of a system, how many panels... Online quote for our house was $32K, no battery panels, another $20K for that, the only discount is the Fed Tax credit for a net cost of $25K.

Where do you see the deal...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Is it the panels, or the roof tiles / shingles that look just like regular? I'm really curious about those.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
These are the standard type panels or that Tesla roof thing?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Standard Panels low/flush mounted to the roof. NOT the Solar Roof Tiles.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
HOLY CRAP! Telsa undercut my other proposals by like 30-40%.

How big of a system, how many panels... Online quote for our house was $32K, no battery panels, another $20K for that, the only discount is the Fed Tax credit for a net cost of $25K.

Where do you see the deal...

Exactly. My quote was for a 8.16 kwh system (24 panels, producing approx. 13,440 kwh annually based on my roof angle and sun), all installed for approx. $12k (Sales tax on the panels/equipment and any upgrades to the electrical panel extra, no sales tax on labor in California).

Go to Tesla.com/Solar and you can price out your system online and lock in a price with a $100 deposit. Your prices might be different based on geographic location, but I don't even see how anyone else can compete with those prices.

Use my referral code if you are so inclined: https://ts.la/joseph20709

posted Hide Post
I saw that they discounted and looked into but they don't service my area yet.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just so we're clear, I went and sat down with (virtual) consults with Sunrun and Sunpower (the two leaders in my area) and got actual proposals after a system design (but before the site inspection). So, these are real numbers I'm comparing against.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Did you include the opportunity cost of the lost gains on investing the $12k in your calculation of the breakeven point?

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Looking at Teslas estimate a 16.32kw system isn't large enough to create the power to completely offset our average bill. We'd still owe $100 a month to the energy company, plus the solar bill, net savings $40 a month.

No where near worth doing, if you do go on Teslas page to get an estimate, it's best if you go to your energy company and download the data file on your previous useage, I was right about the Dollar amount on average, but you need to see how much you really use on average per month kw, then compare to what the system
will generate to see if you'll still be paying the energy company.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Did you include the opportunity cost of the lost gains on investing the $12k in your calculation of the breakeven point?

=)

$12k at 6% over 5.5 years is $4533.45.

The current year tax credit for 2020 is 26%. I'm receiving a tax credit of $4290.

So, it's roughly a wash.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Looking at Teslas estimate a 16.32kw system isn't large enough to create the power to completely offset our average bill. We'd still owe $100 a month to the energy company, plus the solar bill, net savings $40 a month.

No where near worth doing, if you do go on Teslas page to get an estimate, it's best if you go to your energy company and download the data file on your previous useage, I was right about the Dollar amount on average, but you need to see how much you really use on average per month kw, then compare to what the system
will generate to see if you'll still be paying the energy company.

Sounds like you are leasing or financing the panels. How many months of payments are you calculating?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It doesn't say what the term is, I just clicked to see what they offered since there isn't a price deal like described in the OP.

However it doesn't matter, Tesla doesn't make a system large enough to power our home using their online build page. Forgot I did this a year ago, the max system grid is 16Kw we need 20KW +, remember we're in FL where it's not only hot, but humid!

Do not see the advantage of just moving my money to Tesla for $40 a month savings. Nor giving them $32K for a 6.6 year payback for a system that won't zero out the e-Bill.

In FL we don't get all the left wing state pay backs for solar use, like MA, CA, etc.... the only perk is Fed Tax Credit.... no participation in the solar credit sales market etc...

Wish we did but then we'd be paying 12% state income taxes and $8K a month in property taxes too... so at least theres that...

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sounds like your power bill is through the roof! It's too bad, but hopefully panel prices will continue to drop over the next few years and you can get in on a 20kwh system that's cheaper than your power bill.

It looks like Tesla's financing is 6% for 240 months. I agree that it's not worth taking on a loan for 20 years for just $40 a month net savings.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
BTW wasn't saying it wasn't a good deal or you did wrong, you didn't at your payback rate, that's what I'd like to do as well, it's just that FL doesnt' have the perks to make the deal as sweet.

posted Hide Post
My son had new roofing put on before the panels. Apparently it's a real bitch to put new shingles on AFTER the panels are installed. Made sense to me.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post