SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to erase hard drive data from a dead laptop?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to erase hard drive data from a dead laptop? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
I have a Dell laptop that was running slow several years ago before I put it away. I tried to start it up recently but it wouldn't turn on. I called Dell Support and described the problem:

The light on the power adapter lights when I plug it into the power outlet but when I plug it into the laptop, it dies and the laptop doesn't charge. He says the motherboard needs to be changed for $250. For just $500, I can get a new laptop that someone else posted in their thread here.

So I want to get rid of the laptop but I want to make sure the data in the hard drive is erased or cleaned out. How can I do this?

Thanks for the help.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remove the hard drive and physically destroy it.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
If you drive a nail through it, you'll typically shatter the platters to very small shards. You can then hear the shards when you shake it like a rattle. That's the sweet sounds of InfoSec.

Sometimes they're metal. Best you can do is bend those platters. or BIG magnets will do the trick.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One mag 45 Acp, lots of fun.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I usually drill big holes and then hammer it bent.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
If there is anything you want off the hard drive you can buy adapters to access the drive externally from the dead laptop. And if the drive itself is good salvage it as a second drive for a desktop or convert it to an external drive. Depending where in the Bay Area you are Frye's Electronics or even an office supply big box store should have them in stock.

If this route is not worth the time or effort then the physical destruction route works.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
You mean like with a cloth or something? Razz

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
If you drive a nail through it, you'll typically shatter the platters to very small shards.

There are better tools for this task. I have a .22 tool, a .223 tool, and a .308 tool specifically made to fix stuff like dead hard drives, stubborn Keurig coffee makers and other recalcitrant items that refuse to work properly. Discovering what tool is the right tool for the job is part of the fun.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
I usually pull the drive, disassemble it, and physically destroy the platters.

It's not hard, just a few Phillips or Torx screws.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
I usually pull the drive, disassemble it, and physically destroy the platters.

It's not hard, just a few Phillips or Torx screws.

Plus, that way you get some very intense, small magnets! Smile

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
1. Google how to get to HDD for that model, it's usually pretty easy
2. Drill a couple holes in drive with a good bit
3. Toss in trash

I'd pull the RAM too, you could possibly resell or reuse that.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
You mean like with a cloth or something? Razz
Yes, that's what he meant. The OP meant for you to interject politics into this thread because he knew I'd be along shortly to see it, and everyone knows how thrilled am I that you've infected it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Most laptops, the HDD is fairly easy to remove. With an adapter you can likely hook it to a desktop and transfer the data to another HDD if you want to keep it. With it connected, once you've removed the data you can reformat it. If you want to ensure it's permanently gone, just go get a big magnet and sit it on there for a bit. Move it about a little and the data will be corrupted beyond recovery.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Use it as a wheel chock and drive over it.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I used a program called DBAN before. It would boot from a disk and overwrite a drive as many times as you wanted. Even with three passes it would take forever so I just physically destroy them now.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Use it as a wheel chock and drive over it.

Gotta try harder.

If you left the housing on most HDDs you can run them over and the platters will still be intact.

The drive might even still be useable.

Posts: 5142 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Probably it's really just either a bad battery (Lithium Ion cells can be rendered unusable by discharging too far for too long) or the power adaptor.

If you don't want to re-use the hard drive it'll be sufficient to just give it a few really good whacks, hard enough to seriously deform it, with a hammer.

If you do want to save it you can hook it up to another machine with a USB<->drive adaptor kit, delete everything, and run a program called "eraser" on it (MS-Windows) or "sfill" (Linux). These run multiple passes of pseudo-random-pattern overwrites on all unused space, making recovery by even the best of technology (as might be employed by a certain three-letter-acronym government agency) exceedingly unlikely.

N.B.: Reformatting does not guarantee the data on it is rendered truly unreadable.

N.B.: The overwrite processes described above do not work for SSDs! For SSDs you have to use the ATA Secure Erase function, if the manufacturer provided one.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Toss it in the microwave...

Hehe

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Toss it in the microwave...

Hehe

Actually, put it on an outdoor gas grill for awhile. Guaran-damn-tee you no one is going to get ANY data of out EVER!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Never thought of that. Would it def damage metal platters?

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post