SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Owner of stolen truck tracks thief using GPS, car thief is shot during confrontation
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owner of stolen truck tracks thief using GPS, car thief is shot during confrontation Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Most insurance policies have an exclusion for "intentional damage" to insured property. Shooting at your own pickup is "probably" intentional.

Hopefully the insurance company would step up in a situation like this and pay for the damage. But with all the corporate political correctness surrounding gun issues these days, who knows.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your insurance company (blood suckers) would not pony up, many states have a "Victims of Crime Compensation Fund" that might help out. Maybe.
I have hidden AirTags in my car, my motorcycle and my Ebike. If someone takes one of them, I am damn sure going after them. Once I find it, the scenario will be further evaluated to determine the right course of action!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

Frown

LOL Big Grin

quote:
Police added it’s never a good idea to try to find a stolen car yourself.

They won't do it. But you shouldn't do it either, ya know?

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Probably illegal alien not knowing a lick of English. Otherwise, he wouldn't have stolen the truck. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
As a general rule, probably good advice, if you have insurance let it go...

And get fucked out of the deductible?

The thief isn't worth the cost of the bullet.

I agree, but I daresay the guy is probably going to end up spending a lot more in legal fees than his deductible would have been before this is all said and done. It's not the way things ought to be, but it's the reality of the screwed up world we live in.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
All of the stickers certainly failed to deter the thief.

I wonder the thoughts of SF on if such a display doesn't simply give would be thieves an indication of who to follow to break into the cab and look for guns when it is unoccupied or, worse, to track to homes to identify for break ins while the owner is at work or out of town?

A couple weeks ago I saw an even more stickered and also "up armored" pickup in Louisville. I don't see that as "winning hearts and minds", but rather as making oneself a target.

Certainly anyone can put what stickers they choose, but I'm not sure in this society it isn't a version of playing stupid games to win stupid prizes. The action(s) of the DA in this case may weigh in based on the stickers, sort of like the " smile for the flash " engravings on gun barrels.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Did some of you miss this part?

"The owner, a 42-year-old Tacoma man, told police the suspect, a 29-year-old man, reportedly pointed a gun at him, so he shot the suspect."

Of course, anyone could claim that so I would assume the authorities found a gun (or reasonable facsimile thereof) which would help the "justifiable shooting" defense.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2079 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
Did some of you miss this part?

"The owner, a 42-year-old Tacoma man, told police the suspect, a 29-year-old man, reportedly pointed a gun at him, so he shot the suspect."

Of course, anyone could claim that so I would assume the authorities found a gun (or reasonable facsimile thereof) which would help the "justifiable shooting" defense.

We've all seen that, we saw the videos of Kyle Rittenhouse under attack, without them he'd be spending his life in jail as the government persecuted him and the press eviscerated him for simply being present and bringing a gun to that "mostly peaceful protest" in WI...

This is Washington State, now an anti gun enclave of the seriously far left politically, so it's government and DA's are of the same no gun ilk.

Don't blame the guy for wanting to get his property back from a thief, who wouldn't, we'll see if the deductible or the legal fees end up costing more, if it's ruled a good shoot or if they go after him to try and make a point about vigilantism...

Hopefully he comes out on top and the thief goes to jail or back to whatever south of the border shit hole he came from...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I hope it works out well for the owner the truck. Ideal would be no charges, no legal fees, truck repaired at no cost to him.

The law in most places discourages folks from taking direct action to stop crime. I’ve long thought that if the law were changed to encourage, exonerate, and shield from liability those who stop crime with whatever means they choose, we’d have a lot less crime. “You mean if he catches me going through my truck and shoots my ass for it I get in trouble and he gets a parade and his ammo replaced for free? That doesn’t like a good deal. Maybe I’ll figure another way to score cash.”

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post