SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicles losing OnStar Type connectivity
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicles losing OnStar Type connectivity Login/Join 
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted
I got an email from Consumer Reports, the initial three paragraphs being:

As wireless carriers prepare to shut down their 3G networks over the coming months, millions of cars may lose the ability to automatically contact first responders after a crash. Some vehicles just need a software or hardware upgrade, but others—including vehicles from Chrysler, Dodge, Hyundai, Jeep, Lexus, Nissan, Ram, and Toyota—will lose their connections permanently.

Automatic crash notification, which alerts first responders after a crash via a built-in cellular connection, often relies on aging 3G cellular networks to connect drivers with emergency services and share a vehicle’s location. Even though automakers have been aware that these networks are shutting down permanently between February and July, many manufacturers still relied on it until as recently as the 2021 model year.

“Shutting down the 3G network to prioritize newer technologies is positive in the long run. But it is disappointing that some automakers have failed to offer a solution to owners of 3G-connected vehicles, leaving them unable to take advantage of proven and valuable safety features, as well as other beneficial connectivity functions,” says Alex Knizek, an automotive engineer at CR.

Our Subaru Forester has Starlink, a couple of buttons on the roof console which will summon Roadside Assistance and also provide automatic collision notification if the airbags fire.

The CR email said Subaru would perform a free hardware upgrade but it had to be done by the middle of February if we didn't want to pay for it. I called the dealer and they verified the info, and we set up a service appointment to have the upgrade done. Subaru was NOT PROACTIVE in notifying us about this. We had to take the initiative to schedule the upgrade.

If your vehicle(s) have some version of this, you should check with your dealer(s) to see if some upgrade or mod is possible. The CR email said that some vehicle manufacturers have no solution.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Yup. As mentioned in a previous thread, many older cell phones will become paperweights too.

Yes, some vehicle manufactures have no solution.

My uncle's old 1964 blue Chevy pickup seems more appealing every day. Closest it's got to technology is an AM (only) radio. How is it that AM radio has been around for 100 years, but cell carriers change to a new standard about every 10 years? Progress, I guess.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Why would you expect that every wireless device you ever bought would be supported forever?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Why would you expect that every wireless device you ever bought would be supported forever?

Define "forever"

Some cell phones which were made just a few years ago are not going to work.

I don't expect forever, but I do expect about 7 years as a minimum.

As for the cars... some of the cars that will permanently lose services are as new as the 2019 model year. That's lame.

Honestly for a car I expect 10 years of support for features like this, not 3.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

many older cell phones will become paperweights too.
iPhone 6 and earlier models are affected.

My "working phone" is newer; I still keep the 6 to use as sort of a miniature iPad on WiFi. That capability does not depend on 3G, so it will remain functional.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I received notice that my 2014 BMW will no longer be connected to the mothership. Dang, now I need to track my miles to know when I need an oil change.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Remember when you could order a surplus Willy's Jeep in a crate, delivered for $50?

I should have bought 10!

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3923 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail,

iPhone5 and later support LTE so the shutdown of 3G shouldn't affect them. Verizon phones did use 3G CDMA but there should be a way to select voice over LTE so they can still work.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Subaru notified me over 6 months ago. I took mine in and the dealer wasn't even trained on how to do the upgrade yet, they were getting training that week. That was about a week after subaru announced the upgrade was needed

Posts: 4106 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
GM did the same thing with the original OnStar system about 2005 or 2006. While there were some vehicles that could be upgraded there were some that were not able to be.

I recall some very irate GM owners, both the ones that could be upgraded at an additional charge and the ones that were left out in the cold. When they would start unloading on me at the retail parts counter or over the phone my response was “there is a telephone number in your owners manual for your vehicle’s customer service department. Please contact them for further assistance as the information I have given you is all that I have and there is nothing more that I can tell you.”

Let the factory deal with it was my mantra. I didn’t design it, I didn’t implement it nor did I control it’s demise.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Audi is a 2019, and losing the Connect feature due to shutdown of 3G. I agree with others here, a 2019 cellular service feature should not be obsolete to the point of total shutdown less than 3 years later. No longer sold with new products, sure, but continue support for "x" years. Even Microsoft supports products for several years after shutting it down.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

V-Tail,

iPhone5 and later support LTE so the shutdown of 3G shouldn't affect them. Verizon phones did use 3G CDMA but there should be a way to select voice over LTE so they can still work.
Ah, I did not know that.

I really do not make much use of the phone for calls because I am hearing impaired. I use it primarily to communicate via text (iMessage with other iPhone users and SMS or MMS with other types), and email.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
We all have cell phones, if your car has Onstar and you don't subscribe, it's really no big deal. There are millions of us who won't miss it a bit.

If Onstar can't find my car to shut it down after it's stolen, that might be a good thing - that fleet is aging, do I want a car with over 180k back in my yard?

I speculate the Onstar users still subscribing to the system aren't driving 10+ year old cars. Most will migrate with no issues.

My oil change reminder goes off internally without an Onstar reminder.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
BMW sent out notices awhile back that I think Feb'22 was when those with 3G will lose it.

My '18 and '19 BMWs are 4G so I'm good for awhile. Probably done with BMWs since I can't stand the new grill. Happy with my daughter's '20 Subaru so I might go back to Subaru (I had a '15 Legacy 3.6R)

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
OP, thanks for the heads-up info. I checked, and it appears that my 2018 Hyundai Sonata Limited is GTG.

“As first reported by CarsDirect, Hyundai will no longer support its Blue Link telematics system in older models after 2021, per a letter sent to dealerships. Model-year 2012-2016 Hyundais are affected by this, with the company planning to disable these vehicles' Blue Link systems on January 1, 2022.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...odels-blue-link/amp/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Define "forever"

As for the cars... some of the cars that will permanently lose services are as new as the 2019 model year. That's lame.

3G came out in 2001 so I'd say you've had your 10 years.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
quote:

Define "forever"

3G came out in 2001 so I'd say you've had your 10 years.

And 4G for data started being rolled out in the US in 2010 and 4G voice started in 2014.

3G shutdown has been talked about and planned for years. Verizon originally planned to shut down its 3G service in 2020.

The article says some cars as late as 2021 model year rely on 3G. That is ABSURD. The 3G network was supposed to already be shutting down when those cars were sold.

For cars made in the last 5 or 6 years, this is 100% on the automakers being perfectly happy to knowingly shaft the consumer to save a few bucks.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got off the phone with Yooper Dodge Service Dept. My Challenger (2021) is GTG.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both my cars will be turned off. BMW and Porsche. I just hope the darn messages to bring it in will stop too. They get very demanding when you don't get the reset.

This was part of the technology packages when I purchased the car. I paid for it and you the manufacturer should have devised a way to upgrade.

But the worst was getting my Dad to swap out his flip phone. I should have done a video of him trying to call or answer on an iPhone.
Found a CAT Android flip phone for him. Still getting what button do I push questions when I call him.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I hope both my Corvette and Toyota are on the list to lose connectivity. I hate the idea of them being able to disable my car particularly if done by a hacker. I know I can be tracked by my cell phone but something that can shut my vehicle down is a totally different issue.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post