SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicles losing OnStar Type connectivity
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicles losing OnStar Type connectivity Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Hasn't 4G been around for over ten years at this point. Anyone making anything using nothing more then 3G in the last 5 years or so had to know that it was going away.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Why would you expect that every wireless device you ever bought would be supported forever?

Define "forever"

Some cell phones which were made just a few years ago are not going to work.

I don't expect forever, but I do expect about 7 years as a minimum.

As for the cars... some of the cars that will permanently lose services are as new as the 2019 model year. That's lame.

Honestly for a car I expect 10 years of support for features like this, not 3.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
The same thing is happening with Jeep/Stelantis…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
We've seen the communications industry do this once, at least. Analog bag phones. Shut it all down, but not completely useless. The bags can be repurposed for tools.

Another system shut down? We're dragging it out, but SAE sockets and fasteners aren't used much anymore. The legacy issue is that we still use 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 1" square drive.

Whitworth has been dead in the water since the 60's.

Technology is made obsolete all the time. The fun part is seeing it resurrected and made into cultural icons - like, mechanical watches. Certified "chronometers" which can't keep time accurately day to day where Quartz can achieve the tolerance per month, and high accuracy units per year. I've got half a dozen which keep time annually to less than a minute +/-. That's about .16 of a second daily, Swiss Cert is -4 to +6 seconds a day.

Some technology ascends to the status of being cultural pets - ie no longer needed for their original purpose but appreciated for what they are. Very few use horses for transportation now, most are expensive recreational pets for rural lives. And they cost about as much as a Swiss watch, too.

Keep in mind as we move thru 3G to "infinity"G that the progress will slow down, financed on the backs of the users. There is only so many frequencies, so much bandwidth capability, and the computer phenomenom of increasing power by 2 every 2 years is going to slow down.

For those of us who transitioned thru Lotus 123 to Quattro to Excel, tech goes obsolete all the time. And keep in mind most of the business applications in use in the USA aren't Microsoft, it's Linux based. Open source is outliving Windows. 8 is dead, long live Red Hat.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:

Keep in mind as we move thru 3G to "infinity"G that the progress will slow down, financed on the backs of the users. There is only so many frequencies, so much bandwidth capability,......

And now I heard this morning that planes are being grounded because auctions for 5G spectrum was more interesting that actual electro-magnetic-compatibility and spectrum management.

Complete idiots running the show back in Washington DC.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post