SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Breakdancing an Olympic Sport?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breakdancing an Olympic Sport? Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Many of the Olympic sports we have today were not sports in antiquity.

A competitive breakdancer demonstrates no less athleticism than say, a figure skater or a snowboarder.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Are we to pretend that we don't know the reasons why this is happening?

Posts: 107414 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Are we to pretend that we don't know the reasons why this is happening?

Attracting more viewership from youngins?

It's a male dominated "sport". What else am I failing to see?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Take a peek and see if anything jumps out at you here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdancing

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Oh.

I see what you are seeing, but I don't think that's it.

The popularity of breakdancing is being driven by East and Southeast Asia, followed by LATAM.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt whatsoever that that is it, and that it is the only reason.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I posit that the IOC, being an international organization based in Switzerland, is partially insulated from US race politics, and is mostly driven by money. Viewership = money, and new sports like skateboard, BMX, breakdancing, rock climbing are intended to to attract views from typically underrepresented countries.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
They don't live in a bubble. They know, and this is pandering ten ways from Sunday.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Which is the most white nation in the world? Do you think Poland would ever get the gold medal?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29675 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curling is an Olympic sport. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16054 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curling is an Olympic sport

Curling was officially made an Olympic even in 1998, not in hyper-woke 2023.

Anything the IOC does these days is automatically suspect.

It's the law.

posted Hide Post
What the hell. Why not pole dancing while they're at it? It's very athletic and I guarantee it will spike the ratings.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm just waiting for the IOC to get serious and make carjacking an Olympic event.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
What the hell. Why not pole dancing while they're at it? It's very athletic and I guarantee it will spike the ratings.

Not in this gender fluid world!!!!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29675 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:

You joke, but pole sports/dancing is eligible and under consideration for Olympic status. The bigger joke is that esports will likely be in the Olympics within the next 12 years.

The Olympic host city has some say in which sports get added for their Olympic year. For example, baseball, softball, & karate are extremely popular in Japan, so they were full-medal sports at Tokyo 2020 but won't be included at Paris 2024. I read one of the reasons breakdancing got added was because Paris wanted it. There's no guarantee it will still be in the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles, though I'm almost certain baseball & softball will return. Easy choices, as they are historically American sports, and the USA will be gold medal favorites.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:

You joke, but pole sports/dancing is eligible and under consideration for Olympic status. The bigger joke is that esports will likely be in the Olympics within the next 12 years.

The Olympic host city has some say in which sports get added for their Olympic year. For example, baseball, softball, & karate are extremely popular in Japan, so they were full-medal sports at Tokyo 2020 but won't be included at Paris 2024. I read one of the reasons breakdancing got added was because Paris wanted it. There's no guarantee it will still be in the 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles, though I'm almost certain baseball & softball will return. Easy choices, as they are historically American sports, and the USA will be gold medal favorites.

LA? Well of course they'll keep the break dancing. And yes I was joking about pole dancing. But if you are serious then I might just have to tune in for that event. What a circus.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
LA? Well of course they'll keep the break dancing. And yes I was joking about pole dancing. But if you are serious then I might just have to tune in for that event. What a circus.

Circus folks are very athletic, too, you know. Just you wait. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26305 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
And still no LaCross. I guess its too manly. An over looked Native American game by the woke PC crowd.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In at least one Three Stooges short (unfortunately I can't remember which one), Curly did what could be considered break-dancing. Big Grin I'm sure it takes a good deal of skill, but Olympic sport worthy? Roll Eyes

Posts: 27910 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post