SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is Up With All These Yellow “Student Driver” Stickers On Cars?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Up With All These Yellow “Student Driver” Stickers On Cars? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Is this a thing now? I started seeing these a few years ago, and now I am seeing them everywhere, I see like 4 to 6 a day in my daily outings and commute it seems like.

A large yellow sticker that says “STUDENT DRIVER” or “ Please Be Patient - Student Driver”.

There can’t be this many student drivers on the road, can there?

Or is this somebody’s idea that maybe they’ll get more leeway for driving more slowly or something?

Have any of you noticed this where you live?

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Illegal aliens doin' the work to get their license!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Probably just parents of younger drivers hoping the sticker will help provide a little extra patience from the other drivers out there.

I’ve noticed that I see them a lot more than I used to as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
My theory is that people that drive slower than the posted limit put these on in hopes it keeps those of us that drive the actual speed limit off of their rear bumpers. I’m not a fan in any case.

Posts: 2834 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It is for drivers looking for a way to tell their fellow motorists that they really don't know how to drive.

They have to get these stickers and put them on the car since they don't have Florida plates.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many are too lazy/distracted/stupid to remove the sign when other-than-the-student-driver is using the car?

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None where I live. They eliminated the driving test.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
It is for drivers looking for a way to tell their fellow motorists that they really don't know how to drive.

They have to get these stickers and put them on the car since they don't have Florida plates.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I am seeing them a lot more in the central Florida area near where I live.
As I pass the slow moving car I expect to see a young person driving however lately I am seeing more middle aged people driving.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Few random thoughts that might explain this:

1) Uptick in driver's ed classes and driving practice during the summer, when kids (the majority of student drivers) are out of school.

2) Backlog of student drivers resulting in there being more than usual currently, if they couldn't hold driver's ed classes or do DL testing in your area from 2020-2021/2022.

3) Frequency bias. This is a phenomenon where you're surrounded by something every day and don't notice it, but then something happens that makes you start paying attention to it or it starts being on your mind, and suddenly you start seeing it everywhere. There hasn't been an actual increase in frequency; they were always there all along... you just didn't notice them until now, since you now have a reason to be thinking about them and looking for them.

4) New driving school just opened along your daily commute route.

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I think most drivers are student drivers and they're pretty poor students.

Posts: 3466 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Expires 26 years after birth:

Posts: 12730 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, what's with those stupid "Baby on board" signs anyway? I mean c'mon, WTF is it supposed to mean? "Please don't hit me as hard as you would otherwise!"? IMO they're nothing but a distraction and are more likely to contribute to an accident than to prevent one. Especially after people started getting cute with them. "Mother-in-law in trunk" for example, which was actually pretty funny, but still a distractor. The "Student Driver" ones are just the same, distracting.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27987 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
My 15 year old is learning to drive, a stick, in Colorado. My wife has several of these on her car and my daughters future car. With so many jackholes driving around, and every one suffering from road rage we are hoping this will at least give someone pause if her driving is sending them into a rage. Just look around at all the people passing on double yellows, riding the extreme bumper, flipping everyone else the finger, speeding, weaving in and out of traffic. Maybe we can get them to stay away from her.
Especially with the hills in colorado, every stop sign is a hill, and a new driver is guaranteed to roll back, so the sign will hopefully encourage people to back off and give her room to get going. But even when I drive her car, with a "Student Driver Learning Stick Shift", I still get assholes who wanna park 1 inch of my bumper at an uphill stop. So maybe it is just tilting at windmills.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Folks across the street from us had one on their Colorado when their son was learning to drive. Doesn't bother me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I see them all the time and have for years, but I live just "up the street" essentially from a university with a large number of Asian and Indian students, I suppose many of them driving for the first time. The funny thing is they don't need the signs, you can tell just by how slow and cautiously they're driving. Smile

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I am seeing them a lot more in the central Florida area near where I live.
As I pass the slow moving car I expect to see a young person driving however lately I am seeing more middle aged people driving.

That’s exactly what I am seeing. It’s not a woman who is old enough to have a 15-18 year old child, it’s an older person usually. Sometimes much older like senior citizen older.

I saw a car that had six of these damn stickers; two on rear bumper, two on rear quarter panels and two on doors. WTF?

Posts: 33862 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Is this a thing now? I started seeing these a few years ago, and now I am seeing them everywhere, I see like 4 to 6 a day in my daily outings and commute it seems like.

A large yellow sticker that says “STUDENT DRIVER” or “ Please Be Patient - Student Driver”.

There can’t be this many student drivers on the road, can there?

Or is this somebody’s idea that maybe they’ll get more leeway for driving more slowly or something?

Have any of you noticed this where you live?

ABSOLUTELY!!! And I have wondered about this as well. Back in the day the only time you saw “Student Driver” on a car was a 15 year old learning to drive by a driver training company with a driver trainer in the car. Now in the last two years I see so many cars with stickers all over the car saying to please be patient; student driver. I see the drivers being of all ages and races. All are well over 20 YOA. I have not figured out any rhyme or reason as to why they have these stickers on their car and how are they a student driver at say 40. I “guess” maybe an immigrant learning to drive, but just seems odd seeing so many vehicles with these stickers suddenly. If I ever see one park somewhere I park, I might ask them to satisfy my curiosity. I have Googled this in the past and found no answers.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post