SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Have A Good Iced Tea Recipe?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Have A Good Iced Tea Recipe? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My wife makes Ice Tea as a staple in our house.
Made with Black Current and a dab of honey - usually seeped indoors but sometimes with the Sun.
Love Black Current as an Iced Tea - nothing better - Cafe Express here (probably elsewhere too) makes the BEST commercial Iced Tea going! Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Some sweetened condensed milk/dulce de leche might be a good sweetener.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Revisiting this thread as I have started making cold brew iced tea with the new maker I have and it’s coming out pretty well, right now I’m just using Lipton cold brew tea bags, but would like to try a few brands.

I hear that Luzianne is good?

Any other brands that the forum could suggest as far as a black tea?

I know the Brits love their PG Tips, I thought I’d try that too.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
Bring 4 cups water to a simmer, remove from heat. Add 2 family size Luzianne Ice Tea bags. Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove tea bags. Pour into a 2 qt jug. Add 2 cups cold water. Add ice to bring it to the 2 qt mark. Let it rest about 20 minutes.
Occasionally I will add a little fresh squeezed lemon juice.

That's pretty much how I do it too.
We do add some fresh mint from the garden.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I agree with all those who said "sun tea."

We use Luzianne big ice tea bags. No sugar but sometimes with a slice of fresh lemon. Fantastic heat beater!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I make it every day or every other day.

I use a 2qt pitcher. 6 PG Tips tea bags. 3/4 full with filtered water from the fridge. 1/4 top off with 195F hot water from the Zojirushi airpot (slightly accelerate the cold brew). When the pitcher reaches room temp, into the fridge overnight.

The next day - smooth, tasty tea w/o bitterness.

Never seen/ heard of Luzianne. I'll look for it.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Water is good for you (duh) but it’s boring.

I just got an Infusion Pitcher. It has a hollow center tube, couple inches in diameter, with perforations to allow water to mix easily. Cost was $20 bucks.

To that I add fruit for flavoring. I’ve tried all kinds of fruit, currently I’m really liking watermelon, strawberry or lime. You can do whatever you want; banana, blueberry, whatever. I like to slice and slightly mash the fruit to create a better flavor saturation.

Having said that, to answer your Tea question, I really like to do this to tea. You really need to learn (it’s simple) to make great tea to start with. Add good tea to this fruit conction.

It’s good for you, it’s tasty, and you’ll benefit from the extra Vitamins and Minerals etc.

I grabbed a video at random to illustrate this and give you some ideas:

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I like sun tea. 15 or so Lipton bags, 5 constant comment and 5 earl grey in a BIG jar. unsweetened.

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
A Luzianne family size teabag in a mug of water. Nuke for 167 seconds. Dunk the bag 5 times. Pour into a pitcher of water.

Fabulous!

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of great recipes already here. I just want to add if you are using boiling water and black tea, a pinch of salt in the pot helps smooth out the flavor.

Just a pinch, you don't want to go overboard.

My go to is Lipton, but Salada, & Red Rose are nice alternatives.

My favorite is mixed with lemonade to make an Arnold Palmer.

Posts: 264 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m trying the Luzianne tea today, this is the cold brewer I have which makes a gallon:

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I personally do like a little tea in my sugar water Big Grin

I drink up to a gallon a day of this... strong and sweet...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lip...gs-20-Count/10307864

Green tea has slightly more antioxidants than black tea but slightly less caffeine.

To brew it I just fill a gallon pitcher half full of hot water from our hot water dispenser, throw in 9 tea bags for a few minutes, then remove the bags and add the sugar, 2 cups... same ratio as in Dr Pepper. The sugar quickly dissolves in the hot water and then I fill the pitcher to the top with ice. A little stir and the ice melts quickly. In the fridge it goes. Doesn't take very long at all to make. I usually have one gallon to drink from and one ready in reserve.
Sometimes we have a third gallon in the fridge of regular black sweet tea because the wife prefers it over my green tea.

Ain't no such thing as UN-sweet tea... Un-sweet tea is just sweet tea you didn't finish making yet Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I can drink sweet tea when I'm in the south, but sweet tea in this part of the country is an abomination.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I drink a gallon a day in the summer time. In the morning I'll add 6 bags of Lipton decaf (yes, decaf. If I drank that much regular tea I'd be bouncing off the walls) to a gallon jar of water and set it out on the porch whilst I'm at work. When I come home a few hours later, I take it in, add 1/2 cup of sugar or 3/4 cup of honey, a few squirts of lemon juice, and into the fridge it goes.

I might have to try one of those infusion pitchers though. Peach would be great to add to the tea.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
we make up different combinations for "a gallon" at a time of sun tea, if the sun ever comes back out this season....

various recipes I don't recall right now, but some contained fennel, and/or anise star, but we have migrated to Celestial Seasonings bags depending on whim.

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
Sun tea all summer. fill the pitcher with tap water (from the well), hang 5 regular tea bags and one chai tea bag on the side a n let the sun work its' magic.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
OK. I'll be THAT guy.

quote:
A Good Iced Tea Recipe

That is a complete oxymoron as I can't understand how any person can stand to drink that stuff.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I use Lipton too but most of the main brands are fine.

One of the best was the old generic black and white box. I doubt you can find that anymore. Store brands may be the same now.

Red Rose Tea will have a unique trinket in the box or used to. It was decent tea too.

Like I mentioned before, I go with Milo now. It would be a good test target for you. Not a fan of the fake sweetened Milo though.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
OK. I'll be THAT guy.

quote:
A Good Iced Tea Recipe

That is a complete oxymoron as I can't understand how any person can stand to drink that stuff.

Well, you’re the minority here.

My wife also can’t stand it, more for me then I say!

posted Hide Post
Boil 4 small tea bags of Luzianne tea in water. Add 1 cup of sugar or truvia. Mix, add water to make 1 gallon. This is how I make mine but with the Truvia. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post