SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anxiety.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anxiety. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
As I get older phobias seem for me to intensify. Acrophobia and claustrophobia are the two main ones. With recent events in my personal life has anxiety rearing its ugly head. Without going into it I've experienced massive change that has been challenging. Today I bought a new car for myself. Good change that most look forward to. The last time I did that was 27 years ago, but the change plus other huge change in my life I can't even enjoy a new vehicle without a sense of anxiety. It seems to be much more intense in the morning. I'm not sure how to attack this problem. I'm a boomer and we're not supposed to have this problem, but I'm not sure I can improve on my own. Hopefully, when the huge change is in the rear view mirror for awhile this will ease. What if it doesn't?

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
get your T level checked. Really.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
T as in testosterone?

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
My anxiety goes through thr roof when I have bouts of hyper hyper tension.

Which doesn't help matters.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sounds serious. Talk to a healthcare professional, please.

Q

Posts: 27613 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I would like to do that but in the brave new covid world they are making that difficult. I recently changed doctors and the one I choose really doesn't seem to be hands on for anything. I'm almost 60 years old and I haven't seen a personal doctor in two years. I didn't want to have to do this but perhaps it might be useful for evaluation of my situation to go into detail about what's been going on. In the middle of May my mother suffered a stroke that seven weeks later took her life. I am the only sibling living where this happened. So, I am the personal representative for the estate. Dealing with lawyers and realtors and FHA situations and their bullshit demands have me at a breaking point. Dealing with her house has become a huge problem. One aspect is growing up in that house I have problems realizing I'm not going to have access to that house that I grew up in. But, all the crap the bank of the buyers is putting me through to get this deal done is pushing me to the point of I can't wait until I don't have access to that house anymore. Lately I feel I'm the subject matter of the Blue Oyster Cult song Veteran of the Psychic Wars. This is what I hope in the rear view mirror will make things better. I hope.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Check for other 'in network' and roll the dice. Sounds like you need a new doctor.

I'm with Q, see a pro asap.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7409 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I agree with seeking medical help. I am starting to struggle with anxiety, but I can pretty much track when it’s going to hit. I, too started to get more claustrophobic in the last few years- especially on airplanes where in my past, I’ve had no fears whatsoever.

Today I just found out my son’s school is going to full distance learning, so now I won’t even have 2 half day breaks to save my sanity and get anything else done, simply because I’m so worried about what to do with him and how this new world situation is affecting his life. And anywhere I go, he has to come with (no family in town to help with him). Too young to leave in the car, don’t really want to bring him in to places unnecessarily.

Sorry, I digress. You are not alone. Please know that. And talk to a different doc if this one can’t hear you. You might be doing a better job covering up than you think.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I've struggled with it my whole life. There is no quick fix, even meds. The most immediate and helpful without medication or a doctor is positive self-talk.

https://www.calmclinic.com/anx...s/positive-self-talk

If you can get it calmed down a little, exercise is good. Get into a doc ASAP.

People who don't get it won't get it.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might also consider where and how much time you spend on the internet. Many sites have an almost infinite number of people telling you how bad things are. I gave up reading one well-known rifle site because the doom and gloom was nonstop. Remember you are electronically inviting all of those people into your home, most of whom you might never want to interact with in person.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You need to talk with someone who is a professional, minister, councilor or such. Nothing wrong with this... there are folks out there who can help and sometimes just talking is all it takes.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I've suffered with 'The Black Dog' periodically throughout my life. A couple or three years ago I was diagnosed with PTSD.

Taking to a professional is a must.

There's no shame in asking for help.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I agree with those suggesting you see a doc and have a complete medical exam with blood work but don't think they are going to fix your anxiety with a pep talk.

I'm also a boomer (1947) and discovered that as I got into my mid 60's that things started to bother me that I never used to give a second thought about. Confined spaces for one. Being on an airplane, an MRI, or even going to the dentist would put me into a sweat, so to speak. Your doctor can prescribe a number of things that will relax you during these occasional events that you must deal with.

I have talked with family members and friends about this and several of them knew exactly what I was talking about. Please note that I am talking about occasional, isolated instances. If your anxiety permeates your every day life then that is a different animal altogether.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Bubba Watson has anxiety issues also. He opened up to the press recently about his mental ups and downs and how he is determined to address them. I spoke to him briefly last week and he was very engaging.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
I've struggled with it my whole life. There is no quick fix, even meds. The most immediate and helpful without medication or a doctor is positive self-talk.

https://www.calmclinic.com/anx...s/positive-self-talk

If you can get it calmed down a little, exercise is good. Get into a doc ASAP.

People who don't get it won't get it.

This man knows what he is talking about. Not totally there yet but it does get better. Doctors can help with meds but you learning how to deal with things will give you the best relief. Be honest with yourself and move forward. The rewards are great.

Time takes time.

Posts: 85 | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I had a similar but not as intense situation when my mother passed. I had my brother to help me with the estate but it was better when the home we grew up in was finally sold. See a pro ASAP but it will get better.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I get older phobias seem for me to intensify. Acrophobia and claustrophobia are the two main ones. With recent events in my personal life has anxiety rearing its ugly head. Without going into it I've experienced massive change that has been challenging. Today I bought a new car for myself. Good change that most look forward to. The last time I did that was 27 years ago, but the change plus other huge change in my life I can't even enjoy a new vehicle without a sense of anxiety. It seems to be much more intense in the morning. I'm not sure how to attack this problem. I'm a boomer and we're not supposed to have this problem, but I'm not sure I can improve on my own. Hopefully, when the huge change is in the rear view mirror for awhile this will ease. What if it doesn't?

^^^^^^^^^^^
Consult a clinical psychologist for evaluation. Medicare covers their services.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
I’ve also had it for a long time and some ptsd added on top a few years ago gave me a total breakdown into panic attacks. Here’s what you should do:
1. Get checked out to make sure there’s no underlying causes. Especially inflammatory stuff like celiac sensitivity.
2. Start the Headspace phone app right away and do it every day without fail. This helped me so much.
3. Get off media and live as much as possible in the here and now.
4. Light to medium exercise. Never extreme.
5. Healthy diet. Important.
6. Limit booze. Cut it out if you can.
7. Realize there is nothing wrong with you and you’ve simply overstimulated your mind and nervous system to the point that it never calms all the way down. This will help you understand your feelings. Feelings which can convince you that there are a whole bunch of other things wrong with you, Which there isn’t.
8. Make it your JOB to bring calm into your daily life whenever possible. This will allow your system to begin healing.
9. Understand healing will take time. Never be frustrated when it returns. Good days and bad days are normal and OK.
10. Oh yeah and sleep well ( if you can) and take naps.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2262 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Also for what it’s worth. The medications should be treated with caution. Doctors will hand them out freely but I would suggest avoiding them unless you really need it. Talk therapy and the things i mentioned above can be just as effective without all the baggage the meds come with.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2262 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I have had it off and on my whole life but I did not realize what it was.

I can tell when I am really stressed and full of anxiety because I have to use the restroom a lot and the hernia mesh starts to bother me. Plus I get what a call the snakes running through my blood.

It really effects me on new jobs for some reason. Even the most BS ones when I know what I am doing and fully qualified.

I think between the anxiety and low self esteem it makes for a horrendous cocktail.

I have been fighting it lately due to not being able to find a job. Add in the bad weather and being a hypochondriac and I check all the boxes.

It even made me second guess myself into the two MOS choices I was interested in.

The funny thing is that after I convinced myself to attend my MRI appt, I was fine in the tube. The only downside was that they played the worst 70s classic rock channel, and that they had to do it twice because it wasn't reading.

I will second another members statement about reducing internet time. I used to watch the news all the time along with reading various news sites and I realized it was bringing me down. Add in all the cases I was working for the Medical Examiners office and it was 24/7 doom and gloom.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post