Find
Notify
Tools

Burned my arm Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Took a spill near one of my wood stoves. In breaking my fall I used my arm to brace myself on the wood stove. Ouch. Yes it was hot, very hot. It was a quick brace but even so I knew it got me pretty good. Like a really good sunburn. A few days later the burn area is a redish brown and now some of the skin is peeling but no blisters. It feels like it may take a couple weeks to heal up. Probably an area of about 30 sq. inches. Be careful!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19247 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Make sure you have treated the area to ward off infection.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Been there, so sorry for to hear you had a tumble. Burns are the worst! Best of luck and no infections,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Honey on gauze is commonly used for exactly this scenario in hospitals (they actually make ready made honey impregnated gauze).

Honey is some 80+% sugar, which makes for an inhospitable environment for bacteria. This is also why honey never goes bad.

OP, I hope it heals up quickly. Been there.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3355 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If you can get to a doctor they can get you a script for a tub of Silvadene cream. Slather it on thick. Really helps the healing.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I got second a degree burn on my arm changing the oil filter on my daughters car when the engine was hot. I touched the exhaust against my arm when reaching for the filter. I cleaned it well and kept it clean, got a great immune system it it ended up still getting infected. Watch it closely, large burns are bad.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Hope that heals up quickly for you. I got one reaching over a mortocycle and touched a hot exhaust pipe. Wasn’t very big, but it took a while to heal up and I still have a slightly darker streak across that forearm.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
Honey is some 80+% sugar, which makes for an inhospitable environment for bacteria. This is also why honey never goes bad.

False on two fronts. Honey may be used as a field dressing because it contains microbes that are non-pathogenic to (post infantile) humans and they compete with / fight other bacteria (including potentially pathogenic strains). Sugar is a wonderful substrate (i.e. energy source) for bacteria but the moisture content is typically too low in crystallized form - not the case over/in a wound.
Honey can go bad primarily due to its sugar content and in the right TTT conditions will crystallize. Similarly it will be rancid if exposed to a sufficient number of bacteria; one can introduce sufficient bacteria by leaving honey in an open environment but crystallization usually occurs first as a result of dehydration.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30 sq. Inches of burn! I’d most likely get to a doc for an evaluation. Infections are no joke. They can travel around the body with an injury like that. Sepsis is a real concern. I’m no doc, but I’ve seen plenty of severe injuries. Don’t tempt fate.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that sounds horrible

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54708 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Honey on gauze is commonly used for exactly this scenario in hospitals (they actually make ready made honey impregnated gauze).

OP, I hope it heals up quickly. Been there.
Honey naturally contains a small percentage of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) which is why it never spoils. There is a type of honey created in New Zealand that has a much higher level of H2O2 and it is actually used as a salve for cuts, etc. (as well as eaten). It's called Manuka honey.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Sorry to read you were burned. That's a big area. I hope you heal quickly and get better soon.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
If you can get to a doctor they can get you a script for a tub of Silvadene cream. Slather it on thick. Really helps the healing.

This is the only real answer

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
If its really that large, you need to see a physician. That's a significant burn and big burns do more than hurt, they alter your physiology.

Good luck.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you are going to go down the honey pathway, please realize the honey referenced is local raw honey NOT the store brand plastic squeeze bear. Any honey that has been processed to be sold commercially has little to no value for much more than a natural sweetner.

Honey doesn't spoil because of a low (17%-18%) water content.

There are many benefits that can be derived from bees. Please seek out whatever healthcare solution works for you and that is based on your own research. "Some guy on the internet said...." could be a recipe for disaster.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neosporin - it does have a anti-bacterial agent AND it has a mild painkiller as well. Get it and use it a LOT.

Keeping the wound moist with this stuff helps speed healing (yeah, I didn’t believe it either) and by not developing a dry scab it can flex a bit when you move. This reduces pain from breaking scabs.

Yes, there is some experience spoken here.

Posts: 2134 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I think you should get it checked out by a doc and follow their advice. Any sign of infection or fever should send your ass off to the ER immediately.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Back in my early 20s I spilled a whole freshly cooked pan of ramen noodles on my bare chest (sounds weird lol). The burn was very severe and painful. The young lady next door popped her head in when she heard me shout. She came back with some Melalueca oil and rubbed it on my chest. To my surprise the burns were gone by the next morning.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29734 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I was on a pontoon boat years ago in the "party cove". A shirtless, inebriated man cooking hamburgers got knocked off his feet from a passing boat wake and fell chest first into the closed grill lid. Burned the shit out of his stomach, about 1ft/sq of crinkled skin. It was pretty brutal, wasn't hungry for lunch after the smell.

Burns aren't cool at all.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
30 sq. Inches of burn! I’d most likely get to a doc for an evaluation. Infections are no joke. They can travel around the body with an injury like that. Sepsis is a real concern. I’m no doc, but I’ve seen plenty of severe injuries. Don’t tempt fate.

That is significant - I was treated for sepsis once and I never knew I had it. I was told it could have become serious. In my case the injury was scabbing over and I took that as a sign it was healing normally. But my bloodstream was contaminated. Don't get sick and die over a minor second degree burn.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post