SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll: Are you a tidy person?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll: Are you a tidy person? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
Is there a place for everything, and is everything in its place?

This differs from cleanliness, which is a person's tolerance for dirt and grime.

Question:
Are you a tidy person?

Choices:
Yes, nearly always.
Yes, except when [a wife/child/significant other] gets in the way.
No, I try to be but life gets in the way.
No, it doesn't bother me.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Generally, by society's definition, no.

However, while it may look random, I actually know where everything is and the system makes sense to me, so please don't try to help by "tidying up".

It used to drive my wife crazy, and she's get overwhelming urges to straighten up my seemingly random piles of stuff, which in turn drove me crazy. But we've since compromised, with her agreeing not to try to tidy up my stuff, in exchange for me agreeing to keep the piles of stuff confined to "my" areas (namely the man cave, gear room, and garage).

Posts: 33109 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I am compulsive about keeping items in their proper place. At home, at work, in my vehicles, I am a creature of habit. All of my movies, music CDs in alphabetical order. Chairs around the dining room symmetrical and straight as an arrow, the house tidy and neat. Even when I lay out my shooting bench at the range, it is always the same layout.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17195 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am the graphic opposite of "tidy"--my desk at work, my desk at home, my entire house, are a mess. Most of the time I do know exactly where what I want is located, though, and when others attempt to "tidy up" around me it drives me wild. Fortunately (for me) I never married, so don't have a constant nag trying to "fix" things.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call me tidy but if it weren't for me my wife would have be on the next episode of Hoarders. Frown

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Very type A.

Until I had kids. Now that has to be put on the back burner often.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17622 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It wouldn’t look like it if you came over to our house. It is hard to keep up with a wife and five children... Smile

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 965 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm the messiest sumbich on the planet. I'm convinced that the dog goes outside to shit because all of the clutter inside offends her.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Tidy? Negative.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
I am not and make no excuses. I am most comfortable in a messy environment in the house. I do prefer an orderly garage, however. Despite an unbelievably messy large desk and 3'x6' table beside it, I know where my stuff is (buried).

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It depends - my personal stuff? Guns, clothes, office, etc - yes, pretty tidy.

The rest of the stuff in the house that everyone else uses? No. I've tried but the family ends up using / moving / not putting it back, so I've stopped trying.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
My stuff gets dusty - I'm not a clean freak. But, there's no way I want to waste time looking for things when I need them, so I have a place for everything, and everything's in its place. Sometimes covered in dust. Wink

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10860 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a neat freak for sure. My wife is the same way so that's good.

If I have clutter it just stresses me out and consumes all of my energy so nothing gets done.

I could never be the type of person that has ten projects going at all times that never get done. Once I start I have to finish that project before moving on to the next one.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tide, yes great laundry detergent. Oh wait, am I tidy...uh, no.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A more apt description of me is organized. This keeps things tidy, too. But not overly obsessive about it.
I actually have had women I dated dump me because "you are more neat and organized than I am".
They lived like slobs.
Dating tip: On your first date with any woman, try to get a look into her car. If it looks like a motorized dumpster.... Run!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I am compulsive about keeping items in their proper place. At home, at work, in my vehicles, I am a creature of habit. All of my movies, music CDs in alphabetical order. Chairs around the dining room symmetrical and straight as an arrow, the house tidy and neat. Even when I lay out my shooting bench at the range, it is always the same layout.

Thats beyond tidy. Thats OCD. The chairs were the tip-off Smile

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
As Yooper said...I'm more "organized" than "tidy". I have a place for pretty much everything and am borderline anal about stuff being put where it belongs.

If I buy a new machine or delve into a new hobby, then the tools/accessories/parts for said machine/hobby get a special home. A new toolbox, new shelves, whatever. I want to know that I can go to the red toolbox in on the shelf in the corner of the "hobby room" in the basement, and ALL my modeling tools will be in there, or on pegboard hanging on the wall above it.

None of it is spotless, and the last time my den/computer room got dusted I think Bill Clinton was in the White House. But the shelves are organized...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Interesting. With 60 votes in so far ir is fairly evenly split.

Most successful tradespeople or hobbyists have their tools, parts, and supplies very well organized. You just have to know which heap, stack, box, or duffle you're looking for.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
My house was very tidy until my Wife moved in. She does not share the same view on "tidy". More so than making a mess, she is disorganized and tends to leave piles of items everywhere. We got married in our 40's and old habits are hard to break...

The garage and shop have always been well organized, but a working space tends to get dirty. Garage gets a really good cleaning about once a year. Tools, parts, and projects are always stored in an organized way when not in use.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I visited a friend (he has been a member here for several years, but I think I can count his posts on one thumb), at his house. He has shelves where his canned grocery goods are stored. I glanced at them, something sort of registered, so I went back and looked.

The cans were arranged in alphabetical order! As in asparagus, beets, corn . . . zuchini.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post