SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feedback On The C8 Corvette
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feedback On The C8 Corvette Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
My son is car shopping and considering the new Corvette. Anyone here have any experience with it?

Thanks

Posts: 5626 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No personal Vette experience, but I can't imagine they'd spoil it. But, I do remember issues with the C7 Z06.
Haven't heard any pitchforks on the C8 that I can recall.

My main knock on it is, no 3-pedal option.

I see quite a few driving around here.

For my money, I'd be looking at used Caymans, I think.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sigforumite johnw91498 has two threads on his c8:
  • Taking possession
  • Swapping out the wheels

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Have a friend who took delivery of a String Ray coupe in May 2020. He told us last week that he now has about 10K miles on the car and has had no problems of any kind. He really likes it.

We have seen it and sat in it but not ridden in/driven it. Only negative from our observations is that the cockpit may be a bit cramped for a big person. We are a little squirt, so plenty roomy for us.

The availability may be a bit limited.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Lots of YouTube reviews on them.
    Try Doug Demuro.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    As an ex-Corvette owner I learned you should also get feedback from your insurance agent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    My insurance on an 04 C5 convertible is about half what it was on a 2013 Chrysler 200 Limited hardtop convertible. Amazed me as I was expecting a significant increase but I'm old and have a spotless driving record.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of got2hav1
    posted Hide Post
    I am a long time Corvette guy. I rode in a C8 a couple of months ago. I was impressed. The ride was smooth and quiet. You couldn't hear the engine until you gunned it. Transmission was really nice, as I said, I was really impressed with it. I have had 6 vettes so far and they have all been improved each year. Other than ingress/egress it would be a car you could daily drive.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2775 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    No, not like
    Bill Clinton
    Picture of BigSwede
    posted Hide Post
    Used you will pay more than new MSRP, you can get on our new list at MSRP but it may be 2024 before I can get you one Frown

Posts: 5340 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Victim of Life's
    Circumstances
    Picture of doublesharp
    posted Hide Post
    My car lot buddy has a 2016 Stingray z51 50k miles $48,300 ask. It's a red on red beauty that really gets your attention.

He'd trade with me fair but I like the full rag top and love paying state minimum for tags and 75 cents a day insurance.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Too clever by half
    Picture of jigray3
    posted Hide Post
    I don't fit. At 6'1" my head is hitting the roof. I fit in a Miata much better than the C8.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jigray3:
    I don't fit. At 6'1" my head is hitting the roof. I fit in a Miata much better than the C8.
    You must be all torso or didn’t adjust the seat down. I’m 6’4” and fit good. I’m getting a little too old to crawl out of such low cars though that’s for sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    If it doesn't have 3 pedals it's NOT a Corvette. Also not a fan of a car designed so that you have to pull the engine to swap out the spark plugs. Maintenance on the C8 will cost as much as a Ferrari. Finally it has been designed to be a disposable car so you won't see one on the road 20 years from now because some unobtanium electronic doodad will have it going to the scrapper.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's pronounced just
    the way it's spelled
    posted Hide Post
    I drove one around a track, and it was smooth, very easy to drive. The track didn’t have long enough straightaways to get to top speed, but there was no drama in the cornering, just a lot of fun.

I do remember a friend who is a Corvette fanatic telling me the C7 carbon fiber frames cannot be repaired, so if anything happens to them, the car is totaled. Since I believe they are still using carbon fiber frames in the C8, that would still apply.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of got2hav1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nuclear:
    I drove one around a track, and it was smooth, very easy to drive. The track didn’t have long enough straightaways to get to top speed, but there was no drama in the cornering, just a lot of fun.

I do remember a friend who is a Corvette fanatic telling me the C7 carbon fiber frames cannot be repaired, so if anything happens to them, the car is totaled. Since I believe they are still using carbon fiber frames in the C8, that would still apply.

The frames on both the C7 and the C8 are aluminum not carbon fiber. At least on the versions that are for sale now.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2775 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by got2hav1:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nuclear:

The frames on both the C7 and the C8 are aluminum not carbon fiber. At least on the versions that are for sale now.
    And two totally different cars.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post