SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Three motorcyclist die on the Isle of Man
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three motorcyclist die on the Isle of Man Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Why is it a waste if they die young doing something pretty awesome?
Mind if I ask your age?

Funny- you say they can do what they want, but the people reacting to this STUPID shit in an honest manner are apparently not allowed to have those opinins, and if you have to ask what's wrong with dying in your twenties, man, I don't even know what to say to such a thing. You have got to be freaking kidding. You cannot be serious when asking what's wrong with ending your life one quarter or so of the way through its potential fullness!! Unreal!!

when I was in my 20's I would have been of the mindset of "if you die doing what you love...", now I'm married, want kids, etc. and want to stick around a bit longer.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
After seeing this story played out countless times, two things are apparent:

People will continue to needlessly risk their lives for sport and for thrill, and these people will never acknowledge the utter stupidity of throwing away, say, 50 years of life for the sake of some little thrill, and I do mean never.

The ultimate gift of sustained consciousness, and these people throw it away- throw it away- over some Goddamned sport. Dead at 20-whatever. In my book, you're not brave, not heroic, not skilled in any way, you're not to be admired. You're just God-awful stupid and if you cannot recognize this gift you've been given, then go ahead and throw it away like a cheesburger wrapper.

Meanwhile, the rest of us are still savoring life.
They would probably say the same thing about people going to work staring at a computer for 40 years. Just different strokes for different folks.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I risked my life as a young man it was most often in service to my country. My grandmother would have been ashamed of me wasting my life on foolishness. But hey, Darwin live, ya know?

And no, there are NOT too many people in the world. There are too many STUPID people in the world.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
They would probably say the same thing about people going to work staring at a computer for 40 years. Just different strokes for different folks.
Uh huh. I notice that you're still alive. Why aren't you dead, since it's just as much fun as being alive?

Yes, by all means, let's do compare the necessity of working for living, so that we can have food, shelter and raise families and give them food, shelter, clothing, education, etc, to foolishly throwing one's life away. Please do give us some more of that stuff about "sitting in front of a computer monitor". Hell, we even collect paychecks. Can you imagine?

No sale. When these threads come up, we always have one or two members who try to act like they just can't figure out why anyone would have objections to this stuff, and we get the same stilted logic accompanying those comments of puzzlement.

No sale. You can sit there and try all day to make me and others feel as if we've somehow intruded on some dead guy's rights. Sorry, nope. This is a stupid way to die and doing it at a young age compounds the stupidity greatly, and anyone who doesn't like this stupid shit being called what it is, is in for great disappointment here.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Meanwhile, the rest of us are still savoring life.

Thanks for another fine example of a false dichotomy argument to cite as an example when discussing logic and critical thinking.

Those are not the only two choices we have: to do nothing but stare at a computer or engage in highly dangerous activities that serve as nothing more than a bit of entertainment for those who idolize the participants and for the participants to get a few “Oohs” and “Ahs” out of it. There are countless other worthwhile activities that people engage in—including the useful things we gain from looking at a computer (as you evidently felt you did by taking the time to read this thread).

If these lives were lost in the fight against evil or other worthwhile causes, I’d mourn with the people who knew them. But what they actually did was to risk their lives for something as meaningful as playing Russian roulette.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Oxygen preservation genetics. Some people are just geared to save more O2 for the rest of us, and I 'preciate it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the TT does kill a few riders each year. Road racing is an extremely brutal and unforgiving sport. There is a good documentary on Netflix called "Road" that follows the Dunlop family and has some good info relating to the Isle of Man TT as well as just how brutal the track can be when you crash.

On a positive note Michael Dunlop just won the senior TT on his new Suzuki GSX-R! The one thing I wanted to see at this years TT actually happened! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dying for the sake of a freaking sport is so totally badass.

I guess that's the point. Confused

Losing one's life at a young age in protection of others, such as in the miltary? Pish posh! Die young for something that actually means something- going really, really fast on a motorized bicycle. Now that's something worth dying for!

Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
They knew the risks and to them it was worth it. Just like everyone who rides on the street.
If it's not worth it to you, don't do it. Nobody is suggesting you should.

Posts: 11517 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
They knew the risks and to them it was worth it. Just like everyone who rides on the street.
If it's not worth it to you, don't do it. Nobody is suggesting you should.
There's nothing in your post that everyone here doesn't already know, so what's your point? Why point out what we all know?

Forget the fact that it doesn't address the issue of people saying stuff like "What's wrong with dying young if it's for something awesome?" I mean, really.

I already know about these suicide clubs. There's no reason to point out the obvious.

quote:
Nobody is suggesting you should.
Who said such a thing? Please point out to me where I said my opinions about this nonsense arise from a fear that someone is going to force me to die in a motorcycle race.

It's outrageous, isn't it? That I and others have the gall to balk at a sporting event where at least three of the participants die! How dare we call such a thing insanity. How dare we.

Sports. You know? Sports? Recreation? Hello? McFly?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My perspective is that this life is about more than self-serving excitement. The point of this life is to refine oneself and to learn to be selfless and self-sacrificing. To the extent that we're able to do this yields a much greater reward in the next life which I fully believe in. To have lost one's life so early and so needlessly for self-serving excitement is to have wasted one's potential and sacrificed ones reward.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...my sacred gift of "consciousness" seems to also demand "experience".
And every "experience" involves a trade-off between safety and the inherent dangers of doing anything at all.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of
--Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

I should probably point out that virtually no one in an "adventure sport" thinks they are going to die. Maybe they have "miscalculated the odds", but they are not thinking that they are going to die and it will be "worth it". They are thinking, "I am going to live and the risk will have been worth it. ....because some other moron who doesn't have my skill, or doesn't take proper safety precautions is the one who is going to die."

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Unfortunately the TT does kill a few riders each year. Road racing is an extremely brutal and unforgiving sport. There is a good documentary on Netflix called "Road" that follows the Dunlop family and has some good info relating to the Isle of Man TT as well as just how brutal the track can be when you crash.

On a positive note Michael Dunlop just won the senior TT on his new Suzuki GSX-R! The one thing I wanted to see at this years TT actually happened! Cool

[/url]

Here's a segment from 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeL-7xbctn8

I still find 9-14 turns at Roebling Road Raceway and JenningsGP challenging after many track days.

I'm in awe of how these guys learn the Isle of Man well enough to race at those speeds.

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
On my drive hime today.
He's not dead but was pretty busted up.
Speeding and tried to pass with oncoming traffic.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/G0bAjpZYVyc

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
On my drive hime today.
He's not dead but was pretty busted up.
Speeding and tried to pass with oncoming traffic.

How did that make you feel?

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I stopped to see if I could help.
We had no way to get to him.
A rescue truck was on it's way from Big Canoe.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39871 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Obligatory Dr. John Hinds video. Truly a great watch if you have 45 minutes to dedicate to it.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsZBXlTHPCg&t=38s

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty interesting watching the responses in here compared to the 'free solo' climber who scaled El Capitan without safety gear.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Not sure about this Isle of Man, but different countries and cultures sometimes see risk and death differently.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Comes with the territory. I have no issues with people choosing to compete in this or other recognized sports.

But the chumps on the road, well stupid is as stupid does. And heck, people need organ donors.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post