SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Three motorcyclist die on the Isle of Man
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three motorcyclist die on the Isle of Man Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I just watched a couple of videos, including some crashes.

Hell to the no.

We had a 130mph car chase a few days ago. One the week before. Again, hell to the no.

I'll die in a gun fight, or fighting hand to hand...but I'll be damned if I voluntarily put myself in a position to die in a wreck going 100+ mph on anything. Fuck that noise.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
it's their life, I can't tell anyone how to live it. None of us can. Why is it a waste if they die young doing something pretty awesome? No I don't idolize or even care much about this event but you know what, there are too many people on the planet already so why get upset about risk takers going out how they wanted to?

You have got to be shitting me? Too many people on the planet? Hello? Uh, your one of them...
Where did you learn to count?

Me, I love life,
I love living,
Only word that describes this mentality and these reactions is; "fool"

You get the "gift" of life and your narcissism owns you?

From the wisdom of Josey Wales; "Dying ain't much of a living, boy"
Well, that's what I think

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.
He's never been a straight shooter.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Look at the list of entrants to this race. See anything missing?

Where's Rossi and the rest of the top GP class? Where's the former and current WSB champs?
Not there. Why is that?

Comparing this race to professional motorcycle racing is like comparing being in an actual firefight to a shooting competition.

Racing on an approved circuit with run-off areas, sand traps, a smooth and even surface (sort of), and safety barriers, is nothing like this. Where have you seen professionals breaking triple digits right beside a stone wall? Where is a race track with cobblestone sections?

My point is this: All professional racing is a risk, and death is a possible outcome. But those risks are calculated and to the greatest extent possible, negated by the safety of the track placement and design. This place has a long history of sending men home in bags, and it continues to do so. It is not an approved racing circuit. It is two-lane blacktop, and city streets, blocked off for the race. These surfaces were engineered and designed to hold maybe 60mph traffic. That is why you don't see the names of the very highly skilled, trained, and paid riders of WSB or MotoGP on the entry list.

Consider this: Can you ride at triple digits at an official racing facility, like Road America or Laguna Seca, and expect to come out unhurt?

Of course you can. Professionals and amateurs do it on the regular.

Can you do those same speeds on your local blacktops and city streets - even with no other traffic - and expect the same result?

Not if you're even a little smart.

The main issue I have is this - we become them. Because I used to race, and still ride and love motorcycles, I'm one of "those" guys.

"Organ donors" "squids" "coffin liner" whatever you want to call them/us.

The problem is that's the same logic as watching some moron using an AR and tannerite to nearly kill himself with household appliances and saying you are one of "those" guys. Or the idiot OC-ing an AK strapped into your local Burrito Palace - you're one of "those" guys.

Maybe not. Maybe you're a responsible gun owner, and the world at large doesn't even know you own an AK. Maybe nobody knows you're packing every day because you keep it concealed. But you get lumped in - just like motorcycle guys.

I've never raced on public roads. I rarely even break the speed limit. I did race, but that was in AMA sanctioned motocross events at tracks made for that kind of action. There is an ocean of difference - deep and wide - between what the majority of motorcyclists, and amateur and professional racers do, to what these guys are doing. Don't lump me in with these mutants.

I'm not saying they don't have talent or skill, but it's the same talent and skill as the guy juggling grenades or swallowing swords. It's a very finite and definable method of doing a thing, for a little while, and getting away with it. It's not a sustainable thing.

"He died doing what he loved."

Not really. He probably died terrified, trying to diaphragm suck air into collapsed lungs while he bled out, and his whole family watched on TV. All for a trophy, and fleeting fame.

Still sound like fun? Is the truth as heroic as the placard on the grave stone?

Posts: 10806 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Up until the mid 70s, the IOM TT was a sanctioned event on the Grand Prix circuit for decades, but for the reasons mentioned above, the pro racers balked at racing there and it dropped off the calendar as a top level pro race. Just like the Nurburgring, speed and technology passed it by and now it has become an anachronism primarily populated by thrill seekers.

Posts: 2532 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
The ones that die may be the lucky ones.

The ones that end up with life altering injuries and can't take care of themselves is another matter. I bet most of them end up on public aid and/or a huge burden to their families. But I guess that is cool because he is in a wheel chair with a piss bag because he was doing something he really loved.

I knew one of these types. He was a huge thrill seeker. Did Motocross locally and had a reputation as a crazy man in that sport. He also worked for me and one day I got the call "Bob won't be back to work, ever." Broke his back during a race and is in a wheel chair for the rest of his life after being at a rehab place for six months. Lost touch with him over the years but I know it was a really difficult situation for his family.

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There was a damn good video on YouTube I believe that followed a promising amateur rider as he raced the Isle of Man TT for the first time. It actually did a good job capturing the stress, anxiety, and strain the event puts on not only the riders but their family.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
For some of these people, this race is like climbing Everest or flying to the moon. The race is just an expression of their willingness to set a goal and strive for it, nevermind the cost in time, money, or life expectancy.
It's the culmination of years and years of training. It is literally "their life's work".
Whether it's hitting 70 home runs or running a world record mile or memorizing the entire Webster's dictionary, people do all kinds of things we can't understand.
People are wierd.
However, seeing anyone strive for something, anything, and attain it always chokes me up.

Humans are at their best when they are reaching for things that seem beyond their reach. Sometimes it gets them hurt.

I like the fact that, very often, my job allows me to make sure they get another bite at the apple.

YMMV,

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well said Bruce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
http://tinyurl.com/yc4ao6w7

"2017 Isle Of Man TT Wrap-Up Report"

"But a new generation of riders has emerged, and the podium for the Senior TT saw three under-30 riders holding up trophies: Michael Dunlop, who lived up to his boast that it doesn’t matter what bike he’s on, he’ll win, Peter Hickman and Dean Harrison. Hickman won the Joey Dunlop TT Championship after five podiums in every class, establishing himself firmly as a future legend. Sidecar grids were full, and the Birchall Brothers won both slidey races, setting a new lap record in the bargain. The TT is regenerating itself with new talent, 110 years into its glorious history."

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post