SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Court rules Geico to pay $5.2 million to woman who caught STD in car
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court rules Geico to pay $5.2 million to woman who caught STD in car Login/Join 
posted
https://www.washingtonexaminer...ourt-geico-woman-std

The Missouri Court of Appeals upheld a woman's $5.2 million settlement from Geico over a sexually transmitted disease she contracted in a car.

The ruling came Tuesday after a Jackson County Circuit Court arbitration agreement came out in her favor. Geico subsequently appealed the first ruling and has plans to take this latest ruling to federal court.

The woman, identified only as M.O. in court documents, contracted HPV, the human papillomavirus, from an insured Geico member in his car. She alleged he knew he had the virus but had unprotected sex with her in his car anyway. As a result, the woman notified Geico she would be seeking damages from the company in February 2021.

An arbitrator found the insured man liable for not disclosing his viral status, and the settlement amount was allotted in the Jackson County Circuit Court. Geico was ordered to pay the damages.

The three-judge panel in the Missouri Court of Appeals ruled that the insurance company could not "relitigate those issues" and upheld the lower court's decision to deny the insurer's motions.

Geico claims its right to due process is violated by the judgment.

Posts: 12745 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26513 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
W…what?

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In arbitration, generally both parties are required to abide by its terms, even if unfavorable or, in this case, outright stupid. It might be that the jury is only narrowly ruling on whether or not Geico is so obligated, and was given specific instruction by the judge. It may be legal, but it still isn't right.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Here we go. Hire cars will double in price for rental fees. I really wish we could start getting some good news for once.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I clicked the link and there was an advertisement for Badcock & more. I know, juvenile, but my 93 yo grandfather used to chuckle every time we went past one of their stores.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
In arbitration, generally both parties are required to abide by its terms, even if unfavorable or, in this case, outright stupid. It might be that the jury is only narrowly ruling on whether or not Geico is so obligated, and was given specific instruction by the judge. It may be legal, but it still isn't right.

Is there a jury and judge in arbitration?

Posts: 11025 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I read the article as Geico appealing a previous arbitration.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
"By the hour" rates at fleabag motels just went through the roof.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3468 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
So this whore got infected by banging a guy she knew to have hpv, and the insurance company gets left with the bill because they trusted the arbitration process to apply common sense and fairness?

The idiocracy continues to gather momentum. We slip further into it by the day.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
It doesn't say in the article that she knew the guy had HPV. It says the guy knew and had unprotected sex anyway.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
It doesn't say in the article that she knew the guy had HPV. It says the guy knew and had unprotected sex anyway.

And that he didn’t tell her about it.

None of which is all that impressive and I suspect happens quite a lot. The impressive part is that some arbitrator decided that because this happened in the guy’s car that the guy’s auto insurance should pay for it. Also impressive is the $5.2 million. I think I might only have $500,000 for personal injury on my auto policies. I’d like to hear the arbitrator’s reasoning.

Posts: 11025 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
So had it been in the guy's house would the same apply to the homeowners insurance? Insane, and sets a dangerous precedent.

Posts: 11365 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
So had it been in the guy's house would the same apply to the homeowners insurance? Insane, and sets a dangerous precedent.

Right. Since when does auto coverage, or homeowners insurance, cover willful, intentional acts?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

Darned Tootin. This may put every motel 6 in the country out of business.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
How the hell can a car insurance company be responsible for somebody contracting an STD due to having sex in the car? That's just fracking insane.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Next conclusive step - when a young girl gets pregnant in the backseat of a car and the insurance company has to pay child support.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14042 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
If I get the reasoning right, the arbitrator is thinking that the insurance company is libel for personal injury caused by the insured while in the insured vehicle. So whether he ran into another car and caused injury or gave someone a disease, it could fall under the personal injury part of the policy. Novel approach for sure.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Can we now sue Tommy's Gun Pack for alienation of marital affection?

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15911 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
If the trend continues. maybe we'll see a product liability suit against the parents of prolific violent recidivists?

I could almost see a state AG doing that as a publicity stunt.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
If I get the reasoning right, the arbitrator is thinking that the insurance company is libel for personal injury caused by the insured while in the insured vehicle. So whether he ran into another car and caused injury or gave someone a disease, it could fall under the personal injury part of the policy. Novel approach for sure.

Insurance policies typically do not provide coverage for an insured's intentional, harmful acts. Coverage is excluded where the insured's acts were intended.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post