SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple update 14.8
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple update 14.8 Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
Has anyone found anything in this update that is detrimental?

It seems innocuous enough but you never know what they are slipping into updates these days.

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its got a big security update, probably a good idea, i've done all our I devices

Link

Supposedly ios 15 is coming out soon as well, but 14.8 fixes a large security hole in IOS

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The notice popped up on my phone this morning but it’s gotten to the point where I can’t be sure of back door activities.

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is best to wait a week before installation to make sure the bugs are out.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Did it when it came out. No problems noted.
I always check Forbes.com for their take before I update.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Did both our phones the day it came out. Nothng detrimental so far.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My employer required us to install 14.8 on our company iPhone so I did it there and on personal iPhone too.

The one they're making a bigger deal about is the impending release of 15.0 (today, noon Central time). I don't ever remember them telling us 2 weeks in advance that we need to install ASAP if our device is new enough.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23330 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I’ve had it on my iPhone and iPad for several days now, and no problems.

Posts: 3244 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Ditto...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I did it last week when I got the notice. No problems.
In the 15 or so years I've had Apple stuff, I have yet to have a problem with the updates.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did it last week when I got the notice. No problems.
In the 15 or so years I've had Apple stuff, I have yet to have a problem with the updates.

^^^^^^
Lucky you. Several years back it bricked my phone. Cost me plenty for a new phone plus a day of my time trying to fix it. I like Apple but am wary of the updates.

Posts: 17282 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I just installed iOS 15. It’s fast!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here's an article from Forbes that describes the reason for the hurried security update:

Link

quote:
September 14 update. There’s no doubt this is an important iOS update, which is why Apple is so keen for users to install it. After all, a zero-click exploit means what it says, that the user doesn’t need to click or touch anything for the malware to get on to their device.

Since the update went live, ethical hacker Citizen Lab has published a new report called NSO Group iMessage Zero-Click Exploit Captured in the Wild. In it, it makes clear that the assumption which many have made that the update patches the Pegasus software was correct.

The report says, “While analyzing the phone of a Saudi activist infected with NSO Group’s Pegasus spyware, we discovered a zero-day zero-click exploit against iMessage. The exploit, which we call FORCEDENTRY, targets Apple’s image rendering library, and was effective against Apple iOS, MacOS and WatchOS devices.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Has anyone found anything in this update that is detrimental?

We installed it on all our iDevices last week. No problems to note, so far.

Well, except on two phone calls this morning my AirPods disconnected from the phone during calls. I've had that happen before, though, so I'm not blaming it on iOS 14.8 quite yet.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
It seems innocuous enough but you never know what they are slipping into updates these days.

With all the flack they took for their on-device CSAM-scanning idea, I doubt they'll try sneaking anything in. You can bet your bottom dollar security researchers are keeping a very keen eye on what Apple's pushing out the door.

quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

I wouldn't install iOS 15, right now, on a bet.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
More often the problems come with your apps not being compatible, rather than with it working on your device in general.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn't install iOS 15, right now, on a bet.

Can I still get 14.8?
If I update now, I'll get iOS 15.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I am doing so right now. I have been using ios 15 beta. I just hope that battery time is better than it was on the beta.

quote:

Posts: 3448 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Can I still get 14.8?

Allegedly, Apple is allowing users to either stay with 14.x or to move to 15.

In Settings -> General -> Software Update you should have a choice--unless you take delivery of a new device with iOS 15 already on it or already "upgraded" to IOS 15.

15 wasn't released when we updated, so 14.8 was all that was offered.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I usually don't jump on updates, but when they say critical security that get's my attention. After installing, I saw a significant battery draw. I heretofore would end up after 24 hours with 55-65% battery. it dropped to 35%~. I did a hard restart and it's all back to normal.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Can I still get 14.8?

Allegedly, Apple is allowing users to either stay with 14.x or to move to 15.

In Settings -> General -> Software Update you should have a choice--unless you take delivery of a new device with iOS 15 already on it or already "upgraded" to IOS 15.

15 wasn't released when we updated, so 14.8 was all that was offered.

I always update my work iPhone first as a test and then after a while I update my personal devices. When I just went to update my personal iPhone it gave me the option of installing 14.8 or 15. I chose 14.8.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8671 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post