SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's 10:10 somewhere!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's 10:10 somewhere! Login/Join 
posted
I know this post probably suggests that I have way to much free time but here goes. I have noticed that the great majority of clocks and watches for sale show the time to be within a few minutes of 10:10 regardless of manufacturer. WHY!!!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
It’s so that you can see the logo.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The explanation I've seen is that 10:10 is nice and symmetrical, and is a "happy" configuration as it resembles a human smile.

Secondly, as mentioned, it allows an unobstructed view of the logo.

1:50 also has those benefits, and is sometimes seen, but not as often because is looks left-handed, with the big hand to the left.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Anyone else ever hear that it's because Lincoln was shot/died at 10:10? I've always assumed that to be an old wives' tale.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
The explanation I've seen is that 10:10 is nice and symmetrical, and is a "happy" configuration as it resembles a human smile.

Secondly, as mentioned, it allows an unobstructed view of the logo.

1:50 also has those benefits, and is sometimes seen, but not as often because is looks left-handed, with the big hand to the left.

This is probably the most logical explanation.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
Anyone else ever hear that it's because Lincoln was shot/died at 10:10? I've always assumed that to be an old wives' tale.

I've seen that theory, and some similar...

• President Lincoln was assassinated at 10:10 (he wasn't).
  • President Kennedy was assassinated at 10:10 (he wasn't).
  • Martin Luther King was assassinated at 10:10 (he wasn't).
  • The inventor of the clock died at 10:10 (Who the hello was that? No one person "invented" the clock.)
  • The Hiroshima bomb detonated at 10:10 (it didn't).
  • The Nagasaki bomb detonated at 10:10 (it didn't).
  • The "V" is a symbol for victory in WWII (come on).
  • The "V" is a version of the peace sign. Get it, time-peace? (OK, I made that one up just now. Big Grin)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."
  •  
    Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Age Quod Agis
    Picture of ArtieS
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by kkina:
    quote:
    Originally posted by cheesegrits:

• President Lincoln was assassinated at 10:10 (he wasn't).
  • President Kennedy was assassinated at 10:10 (he wasn't).
  • Martin Luther King was assassinated at 10:10 (he wasn't).
  • The inventor of the clock died at 10:10 (Who the hello was that? No one person "invented" the clock.)
  • The Hiroshima bomb detonated at 10:10 (it didn't).
  • The Nagasaki bomb detonated at 10:10 (it didn't).
  • The "V" is a symbol for victory in WWII (come on).
  • The "V" is a version of the peace sign. Get it, time-peace? (OK, I made that one up just now. Big Grin)

• The truth emerges! Light in the darkness! Hallelujah!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    well, no matter what they show,

It's 5 o'clock somewhere...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    His diet consists of black
    coffee, and sarcasm.
    Picture of egregore
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I have noticed that the great majority of clocks and watches for sale show the time to be within a few minutes of 10:10 regardless of manufacturer.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My other Sig
    is a Steyr.
    Picture of .38supersig
    posted Hide Post
    So if you are driving on the freeway at 9:11 and you see a Porsche blow up.

Don't dare go anywhere at 7:47. Big Grin

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post