SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck fixed! If you have a Ram 1500, you might want to read.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck fixed! If you have a Ram 1500, you might want to read. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Run from that place as fast as you can. They are giving you a ridiculous price so you either get gouged or get gouged when you trade in a “worthless” vehicle on a new one.

I’m glad you got it fixed up. When looking up crate engine prices I don’t know how that first place could look at you with a straight face.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
quote:
Everything I'm seeing says high idle time on these engines helps kill lifters faster.

In the video on the Hemi tick, he said idle time may be a factor because of its impact on oil life. Any other reason why idle time is a factor in lifter and cam life?

I found this in my searching. These are quotes from Ramforum.

quote:
High idle time at low pressure with oil that has lost the moly/anti-wear properties is where I'd like to place blame. My custom tune increases idle psi to 48-50 using 5W-20 synthetic and there are theories out there that the engine needs W30 which may also be true. Combine the two and you're on to something as people are upgrading to hellcat lifters when it could actually be just the way they designed/routed the passages. All this makes sense, but from a QC standpoint the chances of poor lifters/needle bearings escaping in multiple batches or not properly quarantined is unlikely based on percentages in manufacturing.

quote:
My 2012 Ram 1500 SLT w/ the Hemi went 125K before the lifters/cam went bad. Was told by the dealer's maint dept that it was typical of long idle times similar to what they have seen w/ the law enforcement vehicles they service. $4600 repair bill for that fix. They changed everything out (cam/lifters) w/ aftermarket lifters & the engine ran fine but there was a lot of ticking. Seems that the oem lifters are hard to get so they had used after market lifters. 2 months later, they replaced the after market w/ the oem lifters & the engine is running very quite right now. Seems like a class action suit w/ RAM would be in order for failures of this sort. I travel in sales so I spend considerable time setting on the phone idling. Got a 2014 Laramie loaded just a couple of weeks ago w/ 24K actual miles still had original tires on it. I'm hoping that the problems has been resolved by 2014 but who knows.

So, maybe the low oil pressure at extended idle is rough on it. Why? I couldn't even surmise. I'm out of my depth, just parroting what I'm seeing repeated elsewhere. Some of it condensed from other youtube vidoes I watched on the topic, so I'm not just pulling this from two sources, it seems to be part of the accepted, or at least repeated knowledge.

quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I’m glad you got it fixed up. When looking up crate engine prices I don’t know how that first place could look at you with a straight face.

Thanks, yeah I couldn't believe it then, and it's even more beyond the pale now. Guy had to have been biting his knuckle on the other end of the phone after he said it.

Posts: 17132 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2019 Ram 1500 here (5th gen). 34000 miles. Mobil 1 oil. In the 45 psi range driving around town. Maybe hit 50 on the freeway but only drove a couple miles @ 70 mph. Idle at around 35. But last night it was idling in upper 20's for some reason. Not today tho.

I am going to keep a closer eye on it. Wonder how temp will affect it in winter. Fresh oil vs ready to be changed. Etc

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of this Hemi tick issue until your post. Watched some videos on youtube and it was explained in detail. One of the Dodge techs mentioned that oil changes at recommended intervals with recommended products were critical. still the design and engineering seem to have produced a vulnerability. Seems a higher pressure pump and consistent maintenance resolves it though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
@sreding

Was that at operation temp? At cold startup it would be that high at idle.

I have access to two 2020 Rams w/ 5.7s.

My personal truck shows 33psi at idle after warming up to operating temp.

My work truck is a 2020 Ram an at idle it shows 30psi at operating temp.

Skull leader - I've monitored oil pressure a bit closer since my update. Once the engine is warmed up my idle pressure is 39psi - cruising speeds - 54-55psi, if I hammer on it it jumps to 64psi.

All of these values are using Mobil 1 5w-20 and a wix filter (what I've used since new) with the 10k oil change interval per the automated reminder.

I work from home so I don't have a daily commute so to speak. I either do about a 5 mile trip to the grocery store or I'm going on a long trip (100+ miles) - many of those miles are from towing a mid sized fiberglass boat (3800lbs or so).

On longer trips (when not towing) I do get around 21.x MPG so MDS is definitely kicking in unless I run in tow/haul mode (which I usually don't do even when towing).

I changed the oil on my '14 Ram 1500 Sport this weekend, and then paid attention to the oil pressure. 62 psi on a cold start, it runs 53-54 psi while driving and warmed up - and idles about 33 psi.

I never go much more than 5K miles before oil and filter change, and other than the first few thousand miles on dino oil, have been using 5W-20 Pennzoil Ulra Platinum synthetic. I have a tick that goes away in a few seconds after start-up, so it must be the lifters pumping up with oil .

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post