SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck fixed! If you have a Ram 1500, you might want to read.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck fixed! If you have a Ram 1500, you might want to read. Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
So... 2014 Ram Sport 1500, fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. Started doing the Hemi tick/knock. I took it to a local mechanic. They have it apart. He quoted me $4,700 to start "for a lifter job" and now it's the camshaft, too. I was expecting the camshaft, honestly, but not $8,700. That, or a new engine for twelve grand and a four to six week wait. I had a job, it was starting to tear loose my hernia repair, so I don't have that job now. We are paying a mortgage payment and renting a house now as of last week on my wife's salary. We don't have the money in the back to even cover the first quote. Truck got paid off in a home refinance we did before we knew we were moving, but that just means it's rolled into the mortgage.

I talked to a dealership about trading it in. Salesman says "don't put any money into it yet, let's see if we can find you something at a payment you can handle." Mechanic is waiting on the go-ahead, I'm thinking I'm going to tell him to button it up and I'll deal with the cylinder 8 misfire until I can trade it in. Or is that the dumb move? KBB says it's worth $26k. I really like my truck, and I know they do this around 80k, and once you do the camshaft and lifters, you're pretty much good for another 80k, right? The thought of being done with my truck actually makes me really sad, I went through a lot of good and bad times with it and frankly, I'm kind of attached.

I'm looking for work, but I have to have transportation. What the hell do I do? The thought of turning my truck into a used Corolla or some shit is downright depressing.

*Edit - Oh! Now the new engine is $13,700!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
If the engine runs, shove some STP in it and leave it be.

That's obscene.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
If the engine runs, shove some STP in it and leave it be.

Maybe in the very short-term if I'm going to trade it on something. But this is a known issue with the 5.7 V8 - the lifters eventually go bad and lobe out the camshaft. Either way, I'm not getting the honest feel off these mechanics.

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
That's obscene.

Yes.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn Ed, that's CRAZY!

Hope you find a solution that doesn't put you in the poor house.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I did not know this about Hemi engines. Glad my 2015 JGC came with a lifetime power train warranty.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Maybe make a few calls around to independent mechanics and get alternative quotes?

That’s ridiculous pricing; and I’m used to it from the fucking Porsche dealer.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Trade it in and run.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Get it back and dump it, thats nuts. This coming from a guy that puts 225k on his cars before letting them go.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Maybe make a few calls around to independent mechanics and get alternative quotes?

That’s ridiculous pricing; and I’m used to it from the fucking Porsche dealer.

Two others shops quoted me five grand all-in, that's camshaft and lifters. The guy I just got off the phone with quoted me $2,900 and I told him about the $8,700 and laughed and said "what, is that for a whole new engine?" He amended his quote upward after I told him no, of course. "Rocker arms blah blah. Gaskets blah blah." Roll Eyes

Either way, I think I'm going to tell this shop they're about twice past what I can afford for the "cheap fix" and tell them I've got alternate quotes at five grand and considering just trading it in.

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Trade it in and run.

Tempted to. Thing is, it's a truck. To replace it with a similar truck right now starts at thirty grand. Also, once this issue is fixed, these engines are supposed to be good for another 80k miles or so. I'll never put all that on this truck. I've put less than 20 on it in three years. Still, at some point, it becomes a money pit. That point may be now. Gonna take the weekend to think it over, ask around, and get input.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Damn Ed, that's CRAZY!

Hope you find a solution that doesn't put you in the poor house.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I did not know this about Hemi engines. Glad my 2015 JGC came with a lifetime power train warranty.

One thing I found in my researching that seems to be the only accepted preventative is a higher pressure oil pump. Engines later than 2009 will take a Hellcat oil pump as a direct replacement, something this shop refused to do. Roll Eyes

High idle times are also apparently what do these engines in. So, start it and drive it.

Dealership quoted me about seven grand trade-in value, as-is. If in good running condition, about fifteen to sixteen. Fuck me.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Bring it to the more reasonable and most competent shop and fix it. This one sounds like it’s neither.
Don’t get caught up in the trade into a new or newer one. Stuff like that will get you into a bigger financial mess.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this done on my brother truck about 18 months ago. Since they had to replace the drivers side cam shaft we had them do the lifters on both sides while the engine was apart. Total for labor, camshaft, and lifters on both sides was ~$3,400.

They are a small local shop and we have know them for ~20 years, they also do 2-3 of these a month so they are pretty quick. I was a dodge guy for years but the lifter failure appears to be a when not if scenario.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Is doing it yourself an option?
A Comp Cams master kit is $1,600
There are others that are cheaper if you look around.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Know of a 2018 GMC Denali pickup truck very low mileage almost payed off owned by a retire friend which developed a fuel management problem and after researching what it would take in both cost and down time tearing engine down for repairs he drove it to a GMC dealership and traded it off on a new GMC Silverado(?) without telling the dealership about the engine problems. Supposidly they gave him $33,000 on trade-in but do not know the sticker price...and his note only jumped $ 5.00 a month but added several more years of notes....To the OP-- Good luck with your situation.............seems like some people can not win for loosing. ........ drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
Had this done on my brother truck about 18 months ago. Since they had to replace the drivers side cam shaft we had them do the lifters on both sides while the engine was apart. Total for labor, camshaft, and lifters on both sides was ~$3,400.

They are a small local shop and we have know them for ~20 years, they also do 2-3 of these a month so they are pretty quick. I was a dodge guy for years but the lifter failure appears to be a when not if scenario.

Yeah, that's my understanding also, it's going to happen. There's things you can do to hasten it or try to forestall it, but you can't outright prevent it.

I went over to the shop to get my mail key that I'd left in the center console and they had me talk to the mechanic while I was there. It was on the lift and I got under it with him and he showed me the lifters he'd pulled off the passenger side. Sure enough, one lifter was pretty hammered and the others looked good. It didn't look so bad that I'd think the engine is flooded with shavings. Mind you, the camshaft was still in the block, so I didn't see how battered it was. He said not to feel too bad, it had such a bad exhaust leak on the driver's side that he could barely hear the lifter tap on the passenger side. That did help a bit. He made the case for letting them do it as best he could, I told him "I'm sure you guys do great work, I came here because you have stellar reviews. It's just a matter of I can't afford to pay nine grand in repairs, man. It's just not a possibility."

I think between the quotes I've gotten so far, plus what you paid, I should be able to get this done for five or less. I'll try to call around Monday, get a few more quotes, and see if I can find a shop that isn't going to bend me over too hard. Also going to get a quote from Carvana. May be more economical to just get bought out of it, but not for seven grand.

quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Is doing it yourself an option?
A Comp Cams master kit is $1,600
There are others that are cheaper if you look around.

Most I've attempted was tearing the heads off a 454 V8 in my '86 Chevy Scottsdale to have them machined after my father overheated the truck and warped them. Replaced the gaskets and put it all back together, but it didn't run right and I forget what the deal was and we never got it sussed out before I moved out of state and gave it back to him. Something with the firing sequence. That was twenty years ago and I had my father's full garage full of tools to work with. I have just about nothing in the way of tools, but it is something I need to at least try to price out this weekend and see if it's something I can do myself. It would be the big-boy thing to do.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Well then you're in luck, the heads are coming off.
Curious what the book time is on that, I'd think it would be in the 20 hour range.
From my perspective that doesn't look so bad.
Looks to be a common problem from the amount of videos out there on cam failures.

Doesn't look to bad.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'll watch that tomorrow. Passenger side head is already off, lifters are pulled. That much is already done for me. We're at $600 labor if they go no further.

When I did the Scottsdale, all I had was a Hayne's manual, my old man said "Buy a Hayne's, and good luck. Figure it out, you're smart enough." We have Youtube everything now! SO much better.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Cut your loss'. I am with Nismo. get whatever you can for it.
Get a reliable replacement for the short term. Get in a better place and then get what you want when you can afford it. I would get something like a Toyota or Honda. They will be better to sell later. Make this an affordable temporary situation. Not one that will suck you dry.
Guys that show up for work driving a Carolla might be the smartest guys on the job.

Best of luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Ugh, that can be good and bad.

Good that some of the work has been done.
You just have to put stuff back together that you didn't take off, which turns into what's this and where does it go?

Videos are helpful, you just have to sift through a few to get a good idea what you're getting into.

It could be in something god awful like a van or something, looks like plenty of room once the front is cleared out.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Cut your loss'. I am with Nismo. get whatever you can for it.
Get a reliable replacement for the short term. Get in a better place and then get what you want when you can afford it. I would get something like a Toyota or Honda. They will be better to sell later. Make this an affordable temporary situation. Not one that will suck you dry.
Guys that show up for work driving a Carolla might be the smartest guys on the job.

Best of luck.

With one head off it's at $600
To slap it back together with just new gaskets is probably another $1,200 to drive it out with a wiped cam lobe and bad lifter.

Or tow it home, replace just what is needed and button it up.
Just the cam and lifters for that set and gaskets.
No fixing it while I'm there items.
If trading it in is in the immediate future let the next guy do the full meal deal.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
My Z71 developed a lifter problem last fall. AFM by product and I was getting high compression in one cylinder. I also needed motor and transmission mounted so I was looking at $5-7k at minimum. Also a 2014 with 180k miles.

I traded it in and got I think 8200 towards a few year old Yukon.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post