SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Knipex tools, worth the money?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knipex tools, worth the money? Login/Join 
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
Worth every penny.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
The 'K' is pronounced?
No

Yes. It's pronounced.

1) German has no silent letters.

2) Knipex says its pronounced kuh-nip-x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWs7a9jww8

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I should have know there's a YT video. Thanks.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
The 'K' is pronounced?
No
Kno

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knipex says its pronounced kuh-nip-x.

Just like the “k” in knish.

Wink

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I assumed it was like the 'P' in kidney.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I don't know about you, my p speaks for itself.

I think I first read about Knipex pliers here on SF, and nw they're crowding everything else out of my pliers drawer.
Latest was a wire stripper; compared with the usual stamped pieces of trash this is like a P210 vs a Lorcin.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
To me they are worth the money.

I have several of their tools, they are well made and do the jobs they are designed for better than their counterparts.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Too many to count, but I own probably two dozen or more Knipex tools. Some are duplicates, at either end of the garage/house to save a bunch of walking. My favorites are the Cobra water pump pliers and the pliers wrenches, in all of their sizes. Their extra long (straight and angled) needle nose pliers are very useful, too (11" long with the last 4" being the needle nose part).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Yes. It's pronounced.

1) German has no silent letters.

2) Knipex says its pronounced kuh-nip-x.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWs7a9jww8
Well I'll be damned, myself and a whole lot of people I work with have been mispronouncing this for years. Now I'll have to make them all feel as foolish as me. Razz

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
As an aside, I'm very partial to 'kale' as long as the 'k' is silent.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Yes, but using the proper tool for the job is also still a thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Can anyone experienced with both, offer their opinion of Knipex versus Wiha quality/useability?
<snip>

I have this 5” Wiha diagonal cutters:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It’s pretty good, and is full flush cut. Great for cutting cable ties (leaves no sharp edges sticking out). There’s a little finish roughness. It works fine despite that, but it’s not Knipex quality.

I also have this 4-1/2” Knipex semi-flush cut diagonal cutters:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005...JQG9ZS122MKK7KWNT0E3

And its mate, this 4-1/2” Knipex long nose pliers:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003...REC10RZ56B0W4FKHJB24

They’re very much a pair – same size, same solid box joint design, same jewel-like polish, same colorful palm-filling handles. They’re flat out pretty!

Most Knipex tools can scarcely be described as “pretty” – the cobra water pump pliers come to mind:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005...2F8Q0T08EDBVAEK204Y1

I appreciate the aesthetics of their form-follows-function design though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
As an aside, I'm very partial to 'kale' as long as the 'k' is silent.

ROFL. I’m with you on that one!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1680 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
From some one who used these type of tools for a living I learned to buy tools good enough to do the job very well, but not waste money on designer brands. Tools get broken, lost and stolen in the real world. Here is my go to list for tools that will be used miss-used stomped in the mud and used in place of a hammer etc in the real world.

Crescent brand adjustable wrenches
Channel Lox brand adjustable pliers
Rigid brand Pipe wrenches
Kline brand electrical pliers

Stick with these and you will be good to go, and not too hurt when they are lost or stolen.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
From some one who used these type of tools for a living I learned to buy tools good enough to do the job very well, but not waste money on designer brands. Tools get broken, lost and stolen in the real world. Here is my go to list for tools that will be used miss-used stomped in the mud and used in place of a hammer etc in the real world.

Crescent brand adjustable wrenches
<snip>

A reasonable position to take, in general. But compared to crescent wrenches, Knipex pliers wrenches are a MUCH better choice with at least two significant advantages:
* They fit with zero free play.
* They firmly grip the work piece.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8936 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
Count me in the group looking at them now. So if I were to buy, which ones does everyone recommend?

Depends what you are doing with them. There are other brand individual tools that outperform Knipex. Knipex makes super high quality product, no question. If you are going to use them around any kind of high voltage, say, 110v or greater (:-) get the 1000 volt models. The screwdrivers have less utility than the various pliers in my opinion as they are a quick wear item, but they all are good product. If you are going to do any house wiring, these are world class, search for "Knipex 13 96 200 or KNIPEX - 13 88 8 ". It's a "buy once, cry once" situation.

These are also amazing: KNIPEX - 71 01 200 CoBolt Compact Bolt Cutter. They make about 5 versions, they all cut hog wire and up to a 1/4" bolt effortlessly. Model numbers 71 02 200 71 12 200, 71 22 200, 71 32 200, and 71 41 200.

This Project Farm vid will give you a view into various things of importance. Knipex makes the strongest wire cutters in his testing. Knipex was #1, but Irwin and Klein might have outperformed them depending on your criteria. http://www.virallegends.com/us...walt-craftsman-wiha/

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I work with a man who is fanatical about keyboards. He has spent gun money building his own custom ergonomic keyboards. Down to the tactile switches, key texture, custom key coding and Dvorak madness.

I'm sure there's guys here that dabble.

Why would you do that? It's a keyboard for God's sake.

The guy is a software engineer. He lives on it.

It makes sense to invest in the the tools you use often.

Kay-nip-ecks are a joy to use. Im hooked.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post