SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggest ipad substitute
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggest ipad substitute Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Any decent Samsung Galaxy Tablet is as good as or better than an iPad (and considerably cheaper).

I have a 2 year old Galaxy Tab A 10.1" that works like a dream. I also have a 5 year old Galaaxy Note that still holds it's own against new ones.

I have nothing against iPads (I use one a couple times a month when I visit elderly relatives to order stuff online for them), I just think they are overpriced.

The bloatware can be annoying on the Androids, but it can be configured to not really be an issue.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Watch for an Amazon sale on the latest gen standard iPad when it goes for $250. Nothing else comes close.

Reformed Android user...

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
Any decent Samsung Galaxy Tablet is as good as or better than an iPad

I’ve had both and the iPad wins easily

The iPad is the highest quality at any price.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3974 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
As my father told me a long time ago:

"You get what you pay for."

Stick with the iPad. And don't look back.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2841 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
I don’t like the price of replacing an ipad. I’m not a big fan of apple business practices. The machine itself seems to work very well and Is intuitive for a non-expert. I have nothing to compare it to, thus the question.

OK

In spite of requests for explanation of why the Apple device won't work you seem to circle back to a distrust for the company, not their capable and reliable hardware targeted especially to users like me and you who don't want to have to break some code.

Perhaps, like me, you can set aside the Apple-hate and make the choice that is best for you and your family

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Why does it need to be “replaced”? Won’t run current iOS, battery not holding charge, physical damage?

Which model/generation is it?

What is your budget?

Kind of thin on info to be able to give suggestions

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10945 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Georgeair has cut to the heart of the matter. I have a bias against apple. Apparrently they do have the best product. My current device is over 4 yrs old. It is slowing and occasionally faltering. I remember apple slowing my previous device during an update. Can’t help but wonder if they are doing it again. I have a trust issue. Consensus seems to be for Ipad.

I assume “bloatware” refers to unwated apps or annoying crap on galaxsy. Not my cup of tea.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Georgeair has cut to the heart of the matter. I have a bias against apple. Apparrently they do have the best product. My current device is over 4 yrs old. It is slowing and occasionally faltering. I remember apple slowing my previous device during an update. Can’t help but wonder if they are doing it again. I have a trust issue. Consensus seems to be for Ipad.

I assume “bloatware” refers to unwated apps or annoying crap on galaxsy. Not my cup of tea.

Thanks to all for comments.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Give it a complete factory reset and see how it does before spending money. Have to load apps again, but maybe worth it?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
My first generation iPad Air works. It’s running slow. Folks at work who have the same device said they have the same issue. My 11 year computer runs slower, as does my phone. I get the trust part about Apple, or Microsoft or Dell or.....you get the idea. Stuff ages and still works to some extent. Its the nature of electronics. It happens in audio gear, tv and computers. Years ago when dvds came out we sold DIVX. VCR machines were available and there was talk already about just having to download movies.
I hate to shell out another $500 for the iPad Air or I may wait for the next generation IPad Pro. It just depends on how much pain I can take.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxxpower:
Any decent Samsung Galaxy Tablet is as good as or better than an iPad (and considerably cheaper).

We've had both. Our iPads are far superior to the Samsung tablets we had.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have had good luck with my Samsung Galaxy 10. Probably had it 5 years or more. Mostly use it to cruise the net. Have had battery replaced. That's about it.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Had good luck with the cheapest tablet at Walmart for an eight year old child. That was two years ago and still works great. It was an RCA Android for less than a hundred. Plays and downloads games, internet works good . But no phone service so only Wi-Fi.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post