SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a volleyball net for my daughter to practice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a volleyball net for my daughter to practice Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
My daughter, 14 years old, played volleyball for her middle school last year and a couple of seasons with the YMCA. She has really taken a liking to it and plans to try out for her high school fall team in about a month.

I want to put a net in the backyard for her to practice, but I have some constraints that maybe someone could help me workaround.

Here is a picture from the second floor looking down at the space.

In the pic, to the left of the grass are some pavers and then the pool. I have not measured the concrete pad, but it is about 20 feet wide and 30 feet long. On two sides of this court are a vinyl privacy fence. And in the middle of the third side is the basketball hoop. And on the 4th side, a tad bit of overflow room to work with in the mulch.

My goal would be to set up a volleyball net crossing the 20 foot wide side, so that she would then have a little more room to practice volleys or serving. The net could even be uncentered, pushed further towards the mulch. This way she could stand against the fence, near the tree (pictured) and practice her serves.

Due to the privacy fence I cannot use a normal set up where the poll has to two ropes running off at an angle to brace the net.

I was quite excited when I saw this net on Amazon.

It's similar to what she used for softball and hitting practice (BowNet), but all of the ones like this I have seen only go up to around 5 feet high. And since a regulation volleyball net is 7'4" high, that is probably what she needs to practice on.

I want the net to be moveable, so that we can position it based on the skill she is practicing. I want it to be somewhat easy to assemble and disassemble. What's my best solution?

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not sure you have enough room for a net and practice using the actual competition court distances required.

You don't want her practicing serving a shorter distance or it's going to mess up game service.

It needs to be 30 ft wide, she'd need to learn the correct width to be able to adjust the serve for the defensive positions set.

You may know this, womens nets are not as high up as mens nets so you'd need to be sure you setup the net at the proper height for her age group

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Not sure you have enough room for a net and practice using the actual competition court distances required.

Yes, I am aware. But if she is against the fence and the net is at the other end of the concrete, it will be very close to the actual serving distance. At least close enough that it is better than nothing.

And for the 30 ft width, again, it does not matter. I just want her to be able to practice some ball control, setting, etc. She can do basic drills even if the net is only 15ft wide.

She is at the very beginning of this journey, so any basic skills she can work on at home will benefit her.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Then I'd get a regulation net setup online, be sure to mark the service lines so she gets a feel for not crossing on service.

Looks like you could attach a pole to the fence with some U bolts, it's not like it's going to have a full on regulation game with people hammering on the net.

Can you put the net out 30 Ft so at least she has the distance down on service for clearing the net.

Maybe a couple of in ground posts that you could slip the net posts into, you could put in two sets, one up by the court at 20 ft for practice of sets and shots, the other to move the net out 30 feet for service practice. Providing there's not a big window there LOL

You can get an instant mix post setting foam at Home Depot vs concrete makes the job easier.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Si...gn-7116170/300934597

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Maybe a couple of in ground posts that you could slip the net posts into, you could put in two sets, one up by the court at 20 ft for practice of sets and shots, the other to move the net out 30 feet for service practice. Providing there's not a big window there LOL

Hmmm, good idea, I did not think to set up two sets of posts and then just move the net as needed. That might be the solution.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
To be clear I"m thinking two in-ground posts or receivers, you move the same net between these or out when not used, or storms etc.

Piece of hollow pipe, set in ground, use the instant mix setting foam, then you could slide the posts into the receiver and attach one set of cables to the other end since one end is secured tight to the fence post. Should allow you to tighten up the net.

Maybe, not an injun-ear but slept in a car in a Holiday Inn Express Parking lot once...