SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a app for heart monitor -
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a app for heart monitor - Login/Join 
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted
-App that will hold another open app where I can’t accidentally close it.
Reason is I had a pacemaker installed and the monitor app needs to stay on 24/7 and I’m always finding I turned it off without knowing it.
PS Forgot to mention for iPhone use.

Posts: 4444 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I’m not an expert, but I’m reasonably sure that there’s no such thing as an iPhone app that will “hold another open app where I can’t accidentally close it.”

Not much help, but at least I bumped your thread. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9432 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the bump. Yeah I need a windows bottom bar like place to shrink apps down out of sight/play.

Posts: 4444 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure I’m understanding you. On an iPhone if you swipe up from the bottom it does in effect “minimize” the app. It disappears from view and you can’t accidentally close it while you’re dealing with other stuff. You’d have to intentionally bring the app back up in order to close it.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Will turning on “background app refresh”
Settings<general<background app refresh
Switch on the app you need to keep on.

I have no idea if that will work for what you need.
Leaving apps running in the background does use some additional battery life.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I have a pacemaker as well and I have no clue as to what a Monitor App is and what it does.

Can you enlighten me?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I have used windows most of my life,the iPhones being apple don’t have a dedicated place for active apps to reside other than where all others are, invisible until you pull them up. I before had no apps I left on all the time. So I’m sure when closing other apps I’m closing it also. If I could put it out of the way ( in its own box ?) I would not be closing it as much or ever.

My pacemaker has an app called: Medtronic , My care/link heart. It’s a Bluetooth app that monitors the pacemaker and records and sends your info to a monitor that can contact your Dr. if a problem occurs.

Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
-App that will hold another open app where I can’t accidentally close it.
Reason is I had a pacemaker installed and the monitor app needs to stay on 24/7 and I’m always finding I turned it off without knowing it.
PS Forgot to mention for iPhone use.

I'm confident your app should not be easy to "accidentally" close.

If you put your phone down for a short period, the display will switch to its default screensaver mode. When you pick up the phone, you need to either touch the button or look at it to "wake up" the phone.

Once on the home screen, the app will not display unless you click on the icon to open it. The app is running in the background even though you do not see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WDFLrWbs4

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve the swiping up to the left is definitely different from what I was doing. I have been simply swiping straight up on my main screen for open apps to shut down. They are all displayed for me to shut down. “My problem is” when doing that I am inadvertently shutting down the one app I need to remain open. A “dedicated secure box” to put such in would be one solution . Another which I now realize is probably to simply to pay more attention when shutting down numerous open apps.

posted Hide Post
I use the Medtronic app to transmit the data from my implanted heart loop monitor to the monitoring facility and the doctors.

Its probably not as critical as the pace maker, but if my app is closed, I'm out of cell coverage or I disable blue tooth the app will re connect and start transmitting once its opened back up. With the loop monitor it continues to record and all of the data is transmitted once it reopens and reconnects to the cellular network.

I'd bet that your pacemaker can also store data while the app is closed for some period of time, but I'm not certain.

The Medtronic app is the only one I keep running on my phone at all times, and I have to keep it within 6 feet of my chest, even at night.

Might be worth asking at your next checkup how much data the pacemaker may or may not be able to store while the app is closed.

Edited on the distance to the monitor, it is 6 feet not 3. And the 6 feet is just when I need to record a symptom or event. Other times just within normal bluetooth range is fine. (as far as I know).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigfan Roy,

Posts: 1160 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
SigFanRoy, do you have the LinQ monitor? That is what I have. I have a desktop device on my bedside table that downloads info at some point really early every morning. I wonder if this app would augment this, like if I slept on the couch or in another room. Or if I was traveling….

Posts: 1289 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
SigfanRoy, thanks for the info. I’m supposed to keep my phone with me from 6” to 6’. I am due for a class on it but have not been yet.

posted Hide Post
My pacemaker is a Medtronic and I have a bedside station that downloads daily activity. The pacemaker stores data while I am away from the base station and downloads via Bluetooth the next time I am close to it. Not aware of any apps, but I didn't ask about one.

Posts: 874 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
I guess they figure most carry a iPhone and developed an app . Wasn’t even given a choice of options. My pacemaker was installed in May so they must be in constant development. My app does say I’ve got an average of a 12 yr battery.

Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
I think your needs might be filled by an Apple Watch. While pricey, has the functionality you may want.

Posts: 224 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
I think your needs might be filled by an Apple Watch. While pricey, has the functionality you may want.
I just laid out a bundle for a new apple iPhone 15 pro. So I’m tapped out money wise. And a watch is a little much for me to try and see. My wife owns one . Not for me but thanks. They are both apple products so wonder why that capability is not shared amongst all their products. iPad etc. And I’m not sure even what that capability is.

Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fla. Jim:
quote:
Originally posted by uvahawk:
I just laid out a bundle for a new apple iPhone 15 pro. So I’m tapped out money wise. And a watch is a little much for me to try and see. My wife owns one . Not for me but thanks. They are both apple products so wonder why that capability is not shared amongst all their products. iPad etc. And I’m not sure even what that capability is.

Simply a suggestion. Agree that Apple may want to share Apple Watch capabilities across platforms. WSJ article noted that physicians are warming up to Apple Watch. A senior woman I know purchased one after seeing my and learning some basics about its capabilities.

Posts: 224 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
And it was appreciated. Typing and getting a message across can be difficult sometimes for me.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
An Apple Watch will NOT help you with a cardiac event monitor, loop recorder, or pacemaker.
Suggest you do as noted above: make sure pacemaker app is set to run in background always on.

Posts: 18347 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
The button is set to the on position . I still shut it of by accident when I am shutting down other running in background apps. So thank you for the suggestion.