SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP, Olivia de Havilland, legendary 'Gone With the Wind' star, dead at 104
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP, Olivia de Havilland, legendary 'Gone With the Wind' star, dead at 104 Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Most see her legacy in her role in GWTW, but her real legacy was breaking the Hollywood lock on actors' contracts. See bolded text.

quote:
Foxnews.com:Olivia de Havilland, legendary 'Gone With the Wind' star, dead at 104

Olivia de Havilland, legendary Golden Age Hollywood star, has died at age 104.

The news was confirmed to Fox News by her son-in-law, husband to daughter Gisele Galante.

She was born in 1916 and died on Sunday of natural causes in her Paris home, The Hollywood Reporter reports.

The star was the last surviving star of "Gone With the Wind," which had recently come under scrutiny for its depiction of slavery in the pre-abolition South. De Havilland was nominated for an Oscar for her role in the movie.

The actress won two Oscars in her lifetime -- one for her work in "To Each His Own" and another for "The Heiress."

De Havilland was also the older sister of Oscar-winning actress Joan Fontaine, who died in 2013 at 96.

[OP's emphasis added] While de Havilland was a legend on screen, she was also known for taking down Hollywood's studio system when she sued Warner Bros. in 1943 after her contract with the studio had expired.

Her contract stated that she was tied to the studio when she was not working as well and she was suspended after rejecting a handful of roles, leading to her suing the studio.

The 1945 verdict ruled that de Havilland was free from her contract and that all actors would no longer be tied to specific studios within the industry.

Most recently, de Havilland sued FX and Ryan Murphy Productions over her portrayal in the mini-series "Feud: Bette and Joan," in which, she was played by Catharine Zeta-Jones.

The appeals court ruled against her and the California Supreme Court and U.S. Supreme Court did not feel and intervention was warranted.

Other roles the star was known for included "The Adventures of Robin Hood" and "The Snake Pit." Her most recent role was the 1988 television movie "The Woman He Loved."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31471 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
another entertainment icon

RIP

Posts: 53216 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
One of the Greats, RIP Dear Lady.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one gone...
Sigh.....

The first time I saw her in was when she played the role of Maid Marian in Robin Hood. After that I was in love..

After that I was hooked.

104 is a pretty good run..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Recently watched Captain Blood with her in it.
She was a superstar of her era.
RIP and that was a nice 104 year run!

Posts: 22936 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
To me she was the best of the best. Elegance, grace and class have al but disappeared in Hollywood and the Golden Age was just that. Now that I am in my 60's, I long for the years before my youth. I love watching the old movies and the stars that were once very bright. What a star she was.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 240 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Watch TCM. They regularly show Robin Hood, Captain Blood and many others.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here’s a story written earlier, but adds another facet to Ms. de Havilland’s Hollywood history:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/...om-itself?ref=scroll

(Via Instapundit)

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1529 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
She was an attractive woman - no one can deny that.

RIP

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10711 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Robin Hood was my favorite movie as a kid

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3222 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

Me too. Loved all the Errol Flynn swashbucklers.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
RIP one of the last acting icons.

Posts: 2168 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

Me too. Loved all the Errol Flynn swashbucklers.
Yep, I'm with you both. RIP Maid Marion, you will be missed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post