SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big and Tall gentleman please step in. Looking for a.suit.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big and Tall gentleman please step in. Looking for a.suit. Login/Join 
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted
Sig friends, Just throwing this out there. I am invited to a Wedding and I need a suit. I have been looking high and low with no results. The rub is that I can't afford custom. Went to all the known outlets with hno luck. I am 6'3" 330 lbs. How I got up high that is a story for another day. Even salvation army and Goodwill were empty. So I thought with all of the Sig forum friends. Anything else you guy's can think of I would appreciate. Thanks in advance, John

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I was able to walk into my local JC Penney and ask an associate in men’s for help. She brushed me around the large clearance section and assembled several options that fit within 15 minutes.

It was exceedingly cheap and perfectly suited to a one time use, which it essentially was.

Posts: 6382 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
What’s your timeframe and when you say you can’t afford custom... what price point are you looking at?

I just had my first suit made by Indochino (semi-custom) and was out the door with a second pair of pants for under $500.

I would definitely recommend a trip to their showroom to let them measure you rather than doing it yourself. I think they have one in King of Prussia.

It will also take a few weeks, so if you’re in a hurry, it’s not an option.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
Ijust bought a new suit from Joseph A Banks. They are having a 60% off sale right now. I'm 6'3" and 175. THey advertise big and tall. I only meet the tall part after losing nearly 90 pounds in the past 2 years. I bought the "Traveler Tech" suit. I am very happy with it. Total was $352.00

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In a similar situation I went to Pennys and bought a navy blue blazer, a nice pair of khakis, and a white Oxford cloth shirt. I’m not quite as girthy as you but the same height and am not slender by any stretch of the term. My wife approved of my outfit and I have attended several weddings and funerals in it. Think I have less than $200 in it, all told. I have to stay away from open flame due to the polyester content Wink but other than that it’s been satisfactory.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Joseph a Banks.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I went to mens wearhouse and got a suit on clearance. It was $99 and then had it tailored locally. I just looked it up and it is only $69 right now. I am a 56 tall. The tailor is who recommended it to me and sized me up so I knew exactly the size I needed.
I bought a grey one as well.
Link

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am both big and tall! Weddings and funerals dictate that a coat and tie be worn. I, too, had your problem. What I did was purchase a black sport coat. This I paired with a crisp white shirt that I get starched. A pair of dress pants completes the look. You can get a big blazer online from any police uniform supplier for cheap. Dress pants in our size can be found online,also. When I wear this combo, I have received compliments on my appearance.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I am 6'5" and 265. I wore a suit every day for many years and always had good luck finding my size at Men's Wearhouse. If they don't have your size hanging in the store they will get it in within a couple days. They carry extra long shirts and ties as well.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second Men's Wearhouse.

Posts: 1183 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DXL (formerly Casual Male) big & tall.
Navy blazer, putty or khaki color slacks, white shirt, and black shoes. Sometimes they have a nice vest also.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
6'6" 230 here. Men's Warehouse is my go to for dress pants, shirts and sport coats.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I met a guy back in school, he owned a chain called Big and Fat. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DXL or Men's Warehouse should have you covered.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You may have to drive to the hood, but K&G has always come through in a pinch

Posts: 5351 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I have gotten many suits from mens warehouse and dxl/casual male around your size and larger for 25 years.

I also found tuxedo rental shops that rented out suits that they would tailor to my fit and it was about 100 bucks.

It doesn't sound like a good deal, but it really is considering if I bought a suit for 2 or 3 times that much, it wouldn't have been tailored and I would only use it once.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4792 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an alternative, look at "the black tux" online...the rent top quality suits as well as tux's and are supposed to be amazing to deal with plus they do big and tall

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
6'2" over 300 myself, for my daughters wedding two weeks ago went to Mens Warehouse, we found a suit that basically fit, then for $75 they tailored it to fit my build.

Did a good job and the rubberized waist liner means you won't loose your pants on the dance floor. (All noassatol guys know this problem)

Any big and tall should be able to get you close, find one that has an in shop tailor

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Thank you all !!! Turns out it's a park wedding rain or shine so they recommend dressing comfortably. Dockers, shirt and tie acceptable. I read the email invite today. Some of the conventional invitations were misplaced. So on short notice they sent electronic one's. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post