SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    best portable compressor for tires
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best portable compressor for tires Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
This does take up some space in a sedan but I have it in my SUV. It pumps air pretty fast, it jump starts your car, it can charge your USB electronics, and you can plug in your 120 v stuff.

I've used it to jump start my car twice and I've filled up my tires when the cold temperatures started. For convenience, you can't beat it.

CAT 1200 Peak AMP Digital Jump Starter

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19641 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Multipurpose

Schumacher SJ1289 Rechargeable AGM Jump Starter and Portable USB/DC Power Station - 1200 Amp - with Air Compressor and LED flex light

https://www.amazon.com/Schumac...a-584981232865&psc=1

Love the Auto-fill, set the pressure and it automatically stops at the set pressure.
If it runs long enough to shut off (due to temp), it'll automatically start back up and keep going until the set pressure is reached.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not the best, but I've had a porter cable pancake I've used for a good 8 years probably and use it once or twice a month and it's never hiccupped. It's oil-less. It's 120V. If you mean a small one to keep in the car, this isn't it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, you should consider which to buy, do you want one that plugs into the cigarette lighter/12volt port or whatever they call it nowadays, or clips onto the underhood car battery.

And consider, do you want a chuck that screws onto the valve stem, or one that clips hands free onto the valve stem, or the old fashioned traditional chuck that you hold onto the valve stem.

If you take the time to peruse, for example the VIAIR compressors, you can get your choice, more or less.

Personally, I chose the one that clips onto the car battery and chuck that screws onto the valve stem. Works great for me. YMMV

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by teombe:
The best one I've used so far is the Milwaukee M18 Inflator

https://www.obsessedgarage.com...lwaukee-m18-inflator

This is kind of a "goldilocks" solution if you're not offroading.

I use this one at work frequently and it works well. I got tired of lugging the compressor around at home so I now just take my vehicles to the tire store when they need air.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Another vote for VIAIR. When my first was stolen I bought a second without hesitation.

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Viair- we have a 450-P. We travel with it and couldn’t be happier. It was worth every penny.

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
VIAIR.

I have the VIAIR 87P for about 5 years now and it has performed with excellence helping me and other people needing help without fail.

It outlasted all of the cheapie plastic ones and is much faster.

VIAIR makes a lot of different models, but here is a LINK to the 87P on Amazon

Buy this in faith, it will do a great job for you.

That's the on I have for my truck. Works great on my truck tires. It will work just fine on your sedan, but you could probably get by on the VIAIR 85P since you're not dealing with heavy duty truck tires. The VIAIR 85P can plug into your cigarette lighter (or whatever they are calling that these days) while the 87P requires opening the hood and connecting to battery terminals. Viair makes good gear.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the help! Makes the choice easier.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I like my Dewalt as it shares batteries with my drill/driver.

Similarly, I'm bought into the Ryobi battery line for my portable tools, and I carry this 18V battery compressor in my vehicle: https://www.ryobitools.com/pro.../details/33287150250

It does a great job on car tires, being much faster than my old cigarette lighter plug compressor, and better yet the Ryobi 18V battery holds a charge through a couple years worth of sitting in a car and being subjected to car temperature swings.

Unfortunately, it does look like that specific model has been superseded by a new one. Hopefully their newer model is just as robust as the older one. Here's the new one: https://www.ryobitools.com/pro.../details/33287178780

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The VIAIR models do look best, but for how much I've needed to add air to a low tire the Harbor Freight model for 1/3 the cost is appealing.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Milwaukee M12 inflator and am quite pleased with it. Battery life had been good enough to fill 4 tires and while it's not superfast I can set the pressure and tend to something else while I'm waiting.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
I also have the Viair 88P an it’s been great. You can probably get a model or two below for a sedan but for under $100 I don’t think you can go wrong and it’s nice to be able to assist a buddy with a truck if needed. The unit is fairly compact and fits comfortably with its cables in a third party canvas bag I picked up for it under the backseat of my GMC Canyon. This one particular has alligator clamps for the battery and screw on tip for the valves. Also the power cord is 9ish feet and the air hose is another 12-15 feet, so it easily reaches all four tires.

You can compare their different models if you prefer 12 volt connection for power or clamp on tip. Buy with confidence.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a car track day guy, and literally EVERYONE in the pits has the Milwaukee M12 (including me)

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge fan of Viair, as well as Milwaukee cordless power tools. I have the Viair 88P and the 300P.

I'm also a fan of Harbor Freight.

For occasional use at home to top off the tires of a passenger sedan, a Harbor Freight knock off of the Viair would be the way I go too. Plenty of capacity for the price in a non-critical at home role is pretty much Harbor Frieght's calling card.

The 88P was purchased when I owned a Subaru that required that the full-sized spare be nearly completely aired down to fit in the spare tire well. The spare tire well was sized to fit a temporary donut spare. In that instance, a quality product like the Viair was insurance that a) it would work when I needed it and b) wouldn't die mid-way through an inflation cycle because of the amount of air needing to be pushed.

I later purchased the 300P for off road use on a different vehicle. Extra duty cycle capacity and fill rate to bring 4 (largish) tires back up to pressure after intentionally deflating them for traction. It doesn't get used much in that role (I don't get out much), but again, it's a critical application that I wouldn't trust to a battery operated inflator or one with a lesser build quality reputation.

Last thought that is neither here nor there. Battery clamps are the way to go, rather than cigarette lighter 12-volt plug. I wouldn't risk this type of current draw on a 10amp cigarette lighter port. Seems like introducing a failure point to avoid the extra 20 seconds of popping the hood and getting a direct-to-battery connection.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Neither of the Harbor Freight inflators fall into this category which is the title of this thread:

best portable compressor for tires

Posts: 10905 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I have a smittybilt. It works on my pickup tires and my spartan chassis RV DP tires. Barely, it hits the safety valve right at 126psi, which works because my steer tires are 125psi.

Amazon Smile Link

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Like some of the posters above, I have a VIAIR I keep in my truck emergency box. I've used it a couple times on the road, best damn piece of mobile air kit that exists. The other china shit is just shit, unless it works, then it's just working chinese shit. The VIAIR brand is quality emergency air kit. But I don't use the VIAIR at home, I save it for the road, and use a regular home DIY compressor instead, enough to fill tires, blow dirt, and run a brad nailer.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Like some of the posters above, I have a VIAIR I keep in my truck emergency box. I've used it a couple times on the road, best damn piece of mobile air kit that exists. The other china shit is just shit, unless it works, then it's just working chinese shit. The VIAIR brand is quality emergency air kit. But I don't use the VIAIR at home, I save it for the road, and use a regular home DIY compressor instead, enough to fill tires, blow dirt, and run a brad nailer.

Pretty sure Viair is made in China also.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post