SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    best portable compressor for tires
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best portable compressor for tires Login/Join 
posted
Reccomendations for portable compressor for passenger sedan. Thanks

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I like my Dewalt as it shares batteries with my drill/driver.

Posts: 11349 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Viair. I have the 450P. Pricey but good. It's rated at 100% duty cycle up to 100PSI (which means you can run it for a long time without having to stop it to cool).

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
VIAIR.

I have the VIAIR 87P for about 5 years now and it has performed with excellence helping me and other people needing help without fail.

It outlasted all of the cheapie plastic ones and is much faster.

VIAIR makes a lot of different models, but here is a LINK to the 87P on Amazon

Buy this in faith, it will do a great job for you.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought this one from Lowes about 10 years ago and it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-...omotive%2C114&sr=1-2

Tigereye313
Does that Dewalt fill pretty fast or does it take longer as compared to a plug in. I think having no cord would be kind of nice and I have plenty of those batteries so I was wondering.

Posts: 3872 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
They may be a bit dated (~3 years old) but Project Farm has a couple Youtube videos on these. One for 12V corded I think and one battery powered.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
I have the Viair 88P and it has never failed me.

Posts: 756 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’d go with the VIAIR 87P OKCGene mentioned for a passenger car. It’s only good for 60psi though, so if you want to inflate bike tires step up to the 88P which is good for 120psi.

For my truck and fifth wheel, I went with a 400P VIAIR which has run without issue for six years. It’ll run for 20 minutes, but then needs to cool for 40. It’s rated for 2.3CFM over the 1.8CFM for 450P. That means it’ll fill tires faster in the first 20 minutes than the 450P. Taking my rear tires from 60psi to 80psi takes a minute and a half or so per tire. Topping of the 110psi tires on the trailer doesn’t take much time either. In other words, the 33% duty cycle at 100psi has never been a limitation for me.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ARB makes a 12 volt corded unit mounted in a tool box that has all the fittings/hose.

Posts: 744 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Definitely
NOT Banned
Picture of teombe
posted Hide Post
The best one I've used so far is the Milwaukee M18 Inflator

https://www.obsessedgarage.com...lwaukee-m18-inflator

This is kind of a "goldilocks" solution if you're not offroading.

Posts: 2044 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: February 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I like my Dewalt as it shares batteries with my drill/driver.

Just googled that $118 seems a bit steep for it. Amazon carries a $40 one that for my super limited need for one might be a better value.

Interesting, I'll have to look into both of those options.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20742 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I bought this one from Lowes about 10 years ago and it works great.
https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-...omotive%2C114&sr=1-2

Tigereye313
Does that Dewalt fill pretty fast or does it take longer as compared to a plug in. I think having no cord would be kind of nice and I have plenty of those batteries so I was wondering.

It is pretty fast, it takes roughly 30 sec to a minute to add 3-5 lbs. . I use it for our travel trailer and tow vehicle. As long as the pressures are close I can do eight tires with battery to spare. You can run it on the 20v battery, 12v socket, and I got an ac to 12v adapter so I can run it off a wall socket as well.

Posts: 11349 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I have a Schumacher brand that works well. Air, power, light, charger, etc.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12345 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Just googled that $118 seems a bit steep for it. Amazon carries a $40 one that for my super limited need for one might be a better value.

Interesting, I'll have to look into both of those options.

I seem to recall that I got it on sale for a bit less. It is really nice to have the battery option when dealing with the trailer tires.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I had but sold, looking back I never should have, a factory unit from a BMW X5 SUV. That thing was beautifully made and I bet a expensive option. Bought it new at a Flea Market. I used it twice prior to selling to a customer who needed one. If I ever get to a parts yard again, I will scour through the BMWs to find another. Seen the same pump on Ebay.

Posts: 17889 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I use a SuperFlow HV-35 that I keep in the trunk. It's not that fast but super compact.
I would have opted for the larger models if I was expecting to use it frequently.

https://superflowair.com/colle...rs/tire-inflator+new

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a Harbor Freight compressor on sale for $25 that seemed to do well in the Project Farm tests.

Posts: 2357 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Vlair is the best out there. I use mine for my car and bring it on track days.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7051 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
I have the Viair 88P and it has never failed me.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Posts: 118 | Location: RI | Registered: January 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a few years old however it may help. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post