SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Want to Pay Cash? That’ll Cost You Extra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to Pay Cash? That’ll Cost You Extra Login/Join 
posted
When Noa Khamallah recently tried to pay cash for popcorn and soda at Yankee Stadium, his almighty dollars struck out.

The stadium’s concession stands no longer take cash. An employee directed him to a kiosk that could convert his greenbacks into plastic. Khamallah, 41 years old, fed $200 into the reverse ATM, which subtracted a $3.50 fee and spat out a debit card with a balance of $196.50.

Paying for anything in New York is expensive already, said Khamallah, who lives in the city. “If you add on top of that extra fees for being able to pay for food, that’s not right,” he said.

Paying with cash used to be a way to get a discount. These days it can often cost an extra $1 to $6—the sort of transaction fees once limited to swiping a credit card or using an out-of-network ATM.

Catch up on the headlines, understand the news and make better decisions, free in your inbox daily. Enjoy a free article in every edition.

Reverse ATMs like those at Yankee Stadium are now common at cashless venues and restaurants across the country as a way to cater to those who prefer paying in cash. People who want to pay their parking tickets, tolls, taxes or phone bills in cash, meanwhile, often learn that government agencies and businesses have outsourced that option to companies that usually charge a fee.

All that can amount to a penalty on the people who prefer paying cash. Though it is more common to buy things with cards and mobile devices, cash remains the third-most popular way to pay, accounting for 16% of all payments in 2023, according to the Federal Reserve. That’s down 2 percentage points from the year before, continuing a steady decline that accelerated during the pandemic.

“It’s unbelievable that we actually have to tell retailers, ‘This is U.S. currency and it’s something that should be accepted,’ ” said Jonathan Alexander, executive director of the Consumer Choice in Payment Coalition, a group of businesses and nonprofits lobbying for the continued acceptance of cash.

There aren’t federal laws that require businesses to accept cash. States like Colorado and Rhode Island and cities like New York banned cashless retail establishments after many stores shifted to card-only transactions to reduce the spread of Covid-19, speed up transactions and cut back on theft. In 2023, lawmakers in the House of Representatives and the Senate introduced bills requiring that businesses accept cash for all in-person purchases under $500, unless they provide devices like a reverse ATM that don’t charge fees. The bills haven’t passed.

Less than $25,000
$25,000-$49,999
$50,000-$74,999
$75,000-$99,000
$100,000-$149,000
$150,000 and more
0%
Turning cash into money
Cashless businesses can be a burden for older or lower-income shoppers who are less likely to have access to digital payments. They also pose challenges for younger people who haven’t yet set up credit cards or bank accounts.

In March, Kate Steinhart, 18, was charged a 50-cent fee after putting $20 into a reverse ATM during a hockey game to order chicken nuggets and a bottle of water. Steinhart has a debit card but says she prefers to use cash, which she earns by babysitting.

The same thing happened a year earlier at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey. Steinhart used a reverse ATM to load $20 onto a prepaid card for lunch. Her meal came out to $15, but since she didn’t realize she could use the rest outside the park, she bought a pack of fudge to bring the balance down to $0.

Prudence Weaver said she would prefer her son be able to use cash on trips to the zoo, amusement parks and baseball games, rather than have to pay fees for debit cards.

“To let my 13-year-old go buy a slushy at the amusement park, I’m already out $6,” said Weaver, 41, who lives in Connecticut with her family. “I understand that there is a place for electronic payment, but I don’t think it should be the only option.”

Debit- and credit-card holders who prefer to use cash say paper money is anonymous, helps them keep spending under control and is better for tips. Roughly six out of 10 Americans say that in a typical week at least some of their purchases are paid for using cash, according to Pew Research Center.

Though it is technically possible to use cash to pay your rent and loan payments, or even shop on Amazon, the hassles required may be too much even for committed cash users.

“It really disadvantages people who are underbanked or unbanked or don’t have a credit card,” said Kathy White, executive director of the Colorado Fiscal Institute, a nonprofit that analyzes the state’s economic practices.

Cash’s new cottage industry
Demand for reverse ATMs from companies such as RedyRef surged in recent years as retailers moved away from cash and some states banned cashless establishments, executives said.

“It has been a pretty wild shift,” said Will Pymm, senior vice president at RedyRef, a New Jersey-based company that supplies reverse ATMs to carnivals, restaurants and stadiums. “Probably one of the biggest we’ve seen for a specific product, in such a short amount of time.”

RedyRef said it more than doubled its shipments of reverse ATMs in the first five months of the year compared with the same period in 2023.

Whether or not a customer is charged a fee for using them depends on what state they’re in and the venue, the company said.
Fees for paying your bills in cash
Government agencies, utilities, cable and wireless companies have also outsourced the handling of cash payments.

People who prefer to pay bills, rent, parking tickets or child support in cash can do so at most 7-Eleven, CVS, Walmart and Walgreens stores. Here’s how it works: The company or agency will send a personalized bar code that people can show a cashier at a retail store to make the cash payment. PayNearMe, a company that facilitates such payments, said it processed over $4 billion worth of cash transactions this past year.

“We’ve seen cash use stay pretty steady,” said Anne Hay, PayNearMe’s chief marketing officer.

PayNearMe charges its clients a fee ranging from $1.99 to $3.99 on each cash transaction, Hay said. Businesses can choose to cover that cost or pass it on to the consumer. Many choose the latter, she said.

OneMain Financial, a subprime lender with 1,300 locations, began working with PayNearMe in 2018, when it stopped accepting cash payments.

“We made a strategic decision to provide more options for our customers to pay their monthly statements, with a focus on safety for both our team members and customers,” said the company, which offers personal and auto loans.

Most of its customers choose to pay using automatic bank transfers, debit card, check or Apple Pay. The company said it doesn’t charge a fee for customers paying with cash.

Corrections & Amplifications
New York City has banned cashless retail establishments, and legislation to ban cashless retail businesses in New York state has been introduced in the state Senate but hasn’t passed. An earlier version of this article incorrectly said New York state had banned cashless retail businesses. (Corrected on June 6)

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/personal-f...d1bd6?mod=hp_featst_

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
In This particular instance you can thank employee/volunteer theft.
So many registers and so many people working those stands there is no easy was to keep an eye on the money.

All the parking garages in downtown Cincinnati on game day quit taking cash for the same reason.
Now they pay people to stand there and swipe your card.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Call me a cynic, but I suspect this is more about Govt. wanting to track all payments rather than concerns about theft, fraud, etc.

Posts: 6791 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
How is the Government forcing Yankee stadium to use a cashless method?

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6109 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I used to know a guy who had a restaurant in NYC. He got sick of his staff robbing him blind (dinnerware, food, alcohol, cash, etc), sold it, moved to Texas, and opened a restaurant.

No way I'd take cash in NYC.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our local minor stadium is cashless. I was pretty irritated when it changed. I think FL was trying to pass a law to not allow that. Only benefit is the concession owner doesn’t need to worry about cash theft I guess.

Posts: 4974 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Providence Park is cashless. I prefer it.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6409 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm I've got a wallet full of bills that say "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"
I've never paid for a meal with a credit card. I suppose if they swipe my card at the table.ok
but never leave my sight. I'm sure the commies would like to track every purchase you make.
Cash is King!

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Providence Park is cashless. I prefer it.

You prefer that others can not use cash? Why are you concerned about them? These places would still take cards, so you could still do you regardless of what others choose.

Better yet, the concept of a cashless society leads directly to what China is doing with their social credit scores. Oh, you like guns? Sorry, that's an improper behavior so no Providence Park for you! One year!

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time...

There was a day when Rome quit using coins upon which Cesar's face was inscribed.

Anyone could get into the fiddle concert without cash, and everyone was happy.

The End

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pay with cash a lot. If I have to give someone a card it’s a credit card. My ATM card never leaves my sight. Credit card is their money, ATM card is my money.

Posts: 67 | Registered: April 28, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to my granddaughter's dance recital . The parking garage across the street only takes plastic now . I don't blame that on the Federal government . I blame the low quality work force they have to choose from and also the demographics of the neighborhood . No cash was a smart business decision .

Posts: 4271 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Petco Park (Padres) is cashless and IMO, not accepting cash should be illegal.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
From Sky News Australia. I don't speak or understand Aussie well enough so some of what I hear I don't understand their version of English well enough (lol).

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ironic that it used to be you got a Cash discount when opting to not use a CC because the vendor saved the fee.

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Down here the problem is still businesses want to charge extra to use a card. They seem to get away with it, but I think it’s tacky at best. Credit card processing fees are no different than insurance or utilities- I don’t think they should add on a surcharge. I don’t.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Progressive Field in Cleveland is cashless also. We usually get Club Seats so it really doesn’t matter because it includes all the food/soft drinks/water you can consume. The only thing you’d have to buy is a beer if you’d want. We’ve found it’s actually cheaper to buy the Club Seats and more convenient than running to a concession and using your card 10 different times and much more piece of mind to myself with the card being used so much. The only thing I pay cash for is parking when we go.

Posts: 506 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Ironic that it used to be you got a Cash discount when opting to not use a CC because the vendor saved the fee.

I was just thinking the same thing.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11105 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are those that believe that "progress"
Can only truthfully be achieved if it involves the accumulation of other people's money.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55208 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Around these parts cash still gets you a discount, because the merchant doesn’t have to pass on the credit card fee to the customer.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post