SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Red Robin Got Rid Of Busboys
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Robin Got Rid Of Busboys Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We ate out this past Saturday at Red Robin and I noticed that something seemed different but didn’t really think much about it, our empty plates did take a long time to get cleared and the waitresses seemed more frazzled than I recalled from before, it had been a bit since we’ve been at one.

I come to find out that Red Robin eliminated all their busboys as of January 2018, citing mandatory minimum wage requirements in many areas of the country as a reason.

These libs who push this crap NEVER think about the repercussions of their actions and never take into account that businesses will always adapt or change as a result of them and not just sit back and take it.

Their food and service has already declined in recent years and this move won’t help, but I can understand why in the cutthroat world of restaurants.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I wonder what price increase would make them margin neutral. And then how much revenue and biz they would lose from the increase.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13112 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
When wages are increased by government mandate, the business has some decisions to make. They can raise prices, cut expenses and/or accept a lower profit margin. Normally, it's some combination of the three and none are good for anyone.

Prof. Walter Williams once wrote...

quote:
The best way to sabotage chances for upward mobility of a youngster from a single-parent household, who resides in a violent slum and has attended poor-quality schools is to make it unprofitable for any employer to hire him. The way to accomplish that is to mandate an employer to pay such a person a wage that exceeds his skill level.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Best way to think about a minimum wage law is that it creates 100% unemployment for everyone whose time is worth less than the minimum it sets.

Posts: 15156 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
^^^^^

Best way to think about a minimum wage law is that it creates 100% unemployment for everyone whose time is worth less than the minimum it sets.

Your argument is in terms of what an employee is worth.

What about what an employee deserves?

Of course what he deserves is not based on skill, experience, education, or contribution. It's purely entitlement.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Thinking about this, I really don't see that many busboys nowadays anyways. The server usually clears the table as they pass by or comes to check on you. Pretty much all there is left to do is to wipe the table down when you leave.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Actions have unintended and far reaching consequences.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I love Red Robin. The one we go to often has the managers bringing the food out, and every table has a pay station/kiosk on it, so the server never has to bring you a check or take your payment.

I thought I heard that AZ's new minimum wage law was going to face a court challenge, because it meant the state would have to pay more money to the companies it contracts stuff out to like landscaping and janitorial work. IIRC, a ballot initiative cannot become law if it means the state's outlays will have to increase, so it then has to be done legislatively. One of my favorite places in Phoenix announced they had to raise their prices and end coupons due to the min. wage hike.

Posts: 3690 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Well that should really help the marginal service and inefficiency at our Red Robin!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12931 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Well, they never did get widespread popularity so.....

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
We ate out this past Saturday at Red Robin and I noticed that something seemed different but didn’t really think much about it, our empty plates did take a long time to get cleared and the waitresses seemed more frazzled than I recalled from before, it had been a bit since we’ve been at one.

I come to find out that Red Robin eliminated all their busboys as of January 2018, citing mandatory minimum wage requirements in many areas of the country as a reason.

These libs who push this crap NEVER think about the repercussions of their actions and never take into account that businesses will always adapt or change as a result of them and not just sit back and take it.

Their food and service has already declined in recent years and this move won’t help, but I can understand why in the cutthroat world of restaurants.

The Libs know full well. This can put more people on welfare so the Lefty Santa's can get more votes. Same as ever. It's evil, but that's who they are. Power at any price. Give the chumps a few hundred a month while they steal millions.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Well that should really help the marginal service and inefficiency at our Red Robin!
Is there a Red Robin in our area? I have never been to one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31442 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Who could ever have predicted this?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2163 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

1 Sanford, FL on Reinhart Rd
1 on 436 - Lee Vista,
2 in Kissississimmimmmmmee/Champions Gate
1 on Daniels in Winter Garden
1 on I-drive

https://www.redrobin.com/find-us.html

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Must be the same reason they got rid of all the people that knew how to cook a burger a long time ago as well.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2282 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
We have one not too far away. I went there once with some friends. The burger was fine, but I'm not really "into" fancy burgers so I never went back. (My burgers are meat, bun, lettuce, and yellow mustard, which just about any place can do well.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I have one in the mall about 3/4 mile from my home.
I went twice.
The first time was marginal in both food prep and service, but I thought maybe they were just having a bad day.

So I give them another chance a few months later... Worse! And the prices had been raised!! Mad

Adios!

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
We ate at our local RR a few months back. The wait was extremely long, we were told it was because they didn’t have anybody to clear tables. When we finally got seated all of the tables around us had dirty dishes on them, it was a dump. I will not be going back

Posts: 2352 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I worked there in college for a month or so before voluntarily leaving. Standard procedure is for the waiters to "pre-bus" all tables so the busboys just had to grab drinks and wipe the table down.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We've had to stop going out to eat here as everything has increased so much due to the minimum wage increases here.

The business even post signs..."due to the minimum wage increase we have had to raise our prices.".

Before the law passed I paid $6.99 for a Gyro and fry combo at a greek place near our house. I took a coworker to lunch and the price is now $10.99 for the same combo. When I said "the price really went up" she said "we had to due to the minimum wage increase.

The bad part is it is still going up and eventually will be at $12/hour. Groceries are more expensive, eating out, etc. We're so screwed.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post