SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Red Robin Got Rid Of Busboys
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Robin Got Rid Of Busboys Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Must be the same reason they got rid of all the people that knew how to cook a burger a long time ago as well.

Big Grin
Same thing that popped into my mind. Why pay $12 for a burger that is never cooked correctly?

I’ve been to several across the country, yet the one in my town absolutely sucks

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If service is tanking then they really should have a bus boy. They can assign other task to the bus boy if necessary. It sucks when your server is frazzled,over worked, and only comes by once or twice because they are so busy.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
So how's that work? Did you just eat amongst a big pile of dirty dishes? Big Grin

Posts: 21383 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have been in the hotel / restaurant business for over 30 years. I owned my own restaurant also and when I did and was opening it, I hired the waitstaff and I gave them the opportunity to decide if they would like to have bussers or would they like to clean and set the tables and not have to "tip out" to the bussers. Normally, a wait person will need to give up 15 to 20% of their tips to a busser or in some cases the bartenders if the restaurant is more of a food operation that bar operation. They unanimously voted for no busser.

Bottom line was they made more money and I made more money as I didn't have to pay for bussers...a win/ win for all involved.

The places that are struggling just don't manage it correctly. I am amazed how I can sit in various restaurants and never once see anyone that looks like a manager etc. The problem you are experiencing is bad management...not so much short staffed. The managers need to be hands on in all restaurants and be the extra hands when needed. That is the difference in better profitability as well as a better guest experience. There is also nothing wrong with scheduling correctly to manage the business levels. Profit margins in restaurants are 15 to 20% in best case scenarios for the Red Robin / Friday's type chains. That is why there are many more restaurants that fold than survive.

You have to know what you are doing and you have to work it hard. The old saying in the restaurant business is a true one..."just because you know how to eat doesn't mean you know how to own one "

Posts: 151 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I agree the minimum wage fiasco is a bit much. I think the eateries are taking advantage of this to pump up their prices. In the post above, the wage probably went a dollar or two an hour for the busboy, but the price of that meal went up $4.00!!! Multiply that the number of food orders for lunch and somebody is doing OK and it ain’t the busboy. Even if they have more than one busboy.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I come to find out that Red Robin eliminated all their busboys as of January 2018, citing mandatory minimum wage requirements in many areas of the country as a reason.

This is surprising, as more and more restaurants have been getting rid of their busboys for at least a few years now. In fact, I can't remember the last time I ate out at a restaurant and saw a busboy.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post