SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Government looking to expand social media ‘warning labels’ to text messages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Government looking to expand social media ‘warning labels’ to text messages Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Check out what's buried in this story:
‘Potentially a death sentence’: White House goes off on vaccine fear mongers

quote:
Biden allied groups, including the Democratic National Committee, are also planning to engage fact-checkers more aggressively and work with SMS carriers to dispel misinformation about vaccines that is sent over social media and text messages. The goal is to ensure that people who may have difficulty getting a vaccination because of issues like transportation see those barriers lessened or removed entirely.

“We are steadfastly committed to keeping politics out of the effort to get every American vaccinated so that we can save lives and help our economy further recover,” White House spokesperson Kevin Munoz said. “When we see deliberate efforts to spread misinformation, we view that as an impediment to the country's public health and will not shy away from calling that out.”

So, they are openly admitting to tracking your text messages and are talking about starting to put warning labels on them like they do on Facebook posts that they disagree with.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Next, they will figure out a way to listen and record the home telephone.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do these fuckers realize that "1984" was a warning, and not a "how to" book?!?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
When I want the USG (or anyone else) to quality-check my texts/email/posts/phone conversations, I'll invite them. Oddly, I've not offered invitations.

Absent an invitation, I'm not sure which provisions of the Constitution prohibit this. Would that be
- the First Amendment (freedom of speech) or
- the Fourth (unreasonable search - to get the text content in the first place) or
- the Tenth (nothing in the rest of the Constitution gives the Feds this power....so they don't get to add it randomly.)

Aw, hell, let's go for all three.

Oh, and tar and feather the morons who came up with that. I'll chip in for tar.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

It’s not a warning to these people. It’s a road map.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3973 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
we need our own vaccine against people that come up with these ideas

that is the ONLY way it will stop

Posts: 53204 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Personally, I never regarded text messaging (SMS/MMS) to be at all secure in the first place. I never have, nor would I ever, send anything even remotely sensitive or personal via text message.

I will keep an eye on this. I expect that, if it is true the U.S. government plans to coerce carriers into Facebooking SMS/MMS, it will show up in my network security newsletter.

In the meantime I'm going to push friends and family a bit harder to move toward Signal Private Messenger.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

It’s not a warning to these people. It’s a road map.

And in the end the state wins

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I can see the NSA reading the SMS stream, but I don’t see how a text in the stream can be read/altered/replaced with any sort of rules based on content. It seems it would rely heavily on the carrier. Since SMS started as a way for carriers to make money without additional effort and then migrated to a basic free service, I’d think the carriers would resist something like this due to the impact o their bottom line. Of course the government could reimburse them with taxpayer dollars or they could Jack up the cost to the subscriber.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know I am repeating myself.

The gov has been tracking everything since the 50s.

They just could not access anything useful without using a tremendous amount of resources looking for a certain call.

Now they have the computer power to do it all in real time.

Landlines, cell calls, text messages, we are living in a fish bowl without any privacy.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Top... men....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37984 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I know I am repeating myself.

The gov has been tracking everything since the 50s.

They just could not access anything useful without using a tremendous amount of resources looking for a certain call.

Now they have the computer power to do it all in real time.

Landlines, cell calls, text messages, we are living in a fish bowl without any privacy.
What you're speaking of is a bit different than what's being attempted here. Yes, the government and big tech monitors everything we say and do online. Here they are proposing altering communications they disagree with. That's a very different thing and an escalation big time of what we've seen in the past.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Ugh.

I'm 2 months into my second dose and am having side effects still!

It's the Phizer. I get sudden fever flashes and chills.
Over and over and over. Mad

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39764 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Yes, the government and big tech monitors everything we say and do online. Here they are proposing altering communications they disagree with. That's a very different thing and an escalation big time of what we've seen in the past.

Agreed. The concept of the govt butting into private communications and inserting their own GROSSLY biased opinions is something we've never seen before. I almost hope they do it - it would maybe knock some sense into people and let them see where we are heading.

Of course, the leftists would love it, but it might wake the 'sleeping giant' of the silent/apathetic conservative majority and make them realize where this country is heading.

This reminds me of Star Trek Next Generation, specifically the episode "The Drumhead." In that episode, a zealous lawyer/judge/space karen is sent to investigate a possible conspiracy onboard the Enterprise, and doesn't stop until she finds one under every tree. After she attacks Picard for having been assimilated by the Borg, Picard droops his head in seeming defeat. Then, he calmly utters these words:

"You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie, as wisdom and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged."

Also, this one: “villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged.”

We need to expose this nonsense.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21850 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post