SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hair Clippers - What do we like?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hair Clippers - What do we like? Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Oster A5 Turbo 2 Speed that are great for both people and dogs.

Get a set of blades orbtwo

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Peanut looks like a winner for me - decent product at reasonable price. Thanks. I just need something to trim sideburns between barber visits.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper #8110 $45 Prime 4.5 stars

Closest cutting clippers I have ever found. No interchangeable head stuff. This is for skin tight cuts only. The only thing closer is a head shave with a razor after using this. So if you want to "style" your haircuts with different attachments, get something else. If you want bald, then get these. I've been using it on a weekly basis for three years now. Just be aware that the cutting edge is pretty sharp and any small scabs, bug bites, or protruding zits/moles are going to get snagged and cut out!

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Pr...words=balding+shaver

What I hate about the high end Osters, is that if you cut your own hair, the handles are the most un-ergonomic hard to hold heavy things ever designed. They might be great for giving cuts to other people, but not to yourself..

Posts: 4351 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Wahl Cordless Designer which does an "ok" job. Doesn't get close enough for my taste (I don't use a guard), and unless you apply decent pressure it sometimes "skips" spots on your head, so I always have to use a hand mirror to make sure I didn't miss anything. I like the looks of that 5-Star Balding, just wished it was available in a cordless model.

Posts: 1636 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The Peanut works pretty well! Gave myself a little trim already and it works great. I do wish that it had a Li battery capability (I don't buy Ni-Cd anymore - I never have good experiences) so that I could use it in shower (like the Panasonic offered).

But it cuts smoothly and well so far. Going to try a more extensive trim this weekend. I need to learn how to cut my hair. Perhaps just settle for a single level cut (pick a attachment size and use it all over). Currently, the barber cuts the sides short (1.5?) keeps the balding top longer (not sure what size). If I cut my own hair, it'l probably have to be simple - one size fits all -- so maybe 1.5 or 2 everywhere.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I use a Wahl that is probably around 15 yrs old with the #2 comb about every 10-14 days. Works great.

Jim

Mine's close to that. I have the 2,3,4 comb routine every few weeks. A couple drops of gun oil to keep it lubed Smile

Posts: 3529 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Zoned out and forgot about this.

Ordered an Oster 76 and a set of combs and it showed up today.

I'm about to trim my face fuzz with it, and I'm about due for a hair cut too, so I'll post a range report soon.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of Wahl clippers about 20 years ago and they still work great. If they ever break I will buy another set as I find 20 years to be satisfactory and then some.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I also use a Wahl for beard trimming and I bet that thing is well over 15 years old. If it ever dies, I will buy another one.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Co...ywords=hair+clippers

They're awesome. Literally zero complaints. Especially for the price, I don't think you can go wrong.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Update. The Peanut, for me, worked well for trimming. But when I used #2 to actually cut my hair, the motor was under powered and would stall, painfully pulling my hair.

It works fine on my now 1/2" hair. But I wouldn't recom it for hair longer than an inch or so.

The good thing is that the small size is convenient for self cutting.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
These.

They're awesome. Literally zero complaints. Especially for the price, I don't think you can go wrong.

That's the one I bought to replace my old Wahl. Apparently I got a lemon cuz mine was crap right from the get-go.

New Oster is heavy but did a great job on my beard. The Aldi magnetic combs I got with it are much nicer than the snap-on type.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
My Wahl clippers are about 10 years old and still working great.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3814 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to buy a new one myself as my 12 year clippers died on me. They were not powerful but man they were great. I finally bought another with the "buy once,cry once" attitude. I bought the Wahl model MC2 from wally world and really like them. The motor is stronger and gives a close shave. The extra guards are metal lined to make sure they don't pop off when you are cutting your hair.It was $50.00 but worth it.

Posts: 6912 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Remington HC4250 from Amazon. It's fantastic.
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ucau0rdIA28" width="420"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

I've got an about 15 year old Wahl that I really can't complain about. But it is heavy and noisy.

That Remington looks very interesting, because I do the 1/8th inch buzz cut all over anyway!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Anybody use / have experience with the Wahl Lithium Ion trimmer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Considering / looking for something that has a stronger motor than the Peanut (something that won't stall on my hair) and is also cordless.

Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
These.

That's the one I bought to replace my old Wahl. Apparently I got a lemon cuz mine was crap right from the get-go.

New Oster is heavy but did a great job on my beard. The Aldi magnetic combs I got with it are much nicer than the snap-on type.

Nice.

I wanted an Oster 76 but wound up with its little brother the Fast Feed. I've been trimming my hair and beard with it every week or two for 6-7 years now, and never a problem. I also trim both kids' hair with it.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I use the Classic Oster 76.

That’s my choice. Its quality is no doubt higher than I need for a buzz cut every 10 days or so, but I’ve never second-guessed my decision.

I use the same set. Have had mine for about 8 years and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

Posts: 3521 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a pro-level model and be done. I have a Wahl Super Taper II that I bought over 15 years ago and it works like a champ every time. Just used it last week.

Wahl Super Taper II on Amazon

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Wahl KM-1 (now KM-2), bought a lifetime ago. It is quiet, powerful, will do pets or your head. Very high power and quality made, and quiet.

Posts: 10794 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post