SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally, An Attempt to Reign In The EPA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally, An Attempt to Reign In The EPA Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfr...23/11/03/id/1140895/

House Republicans on Thursday passed a bill with massive cuts to the Environmental Protection Agency's budget, though the legislation has virtually no chance of becoming law with a Democrat-majority Senate, reported Axios.

HR 4821, approved on a 213-203 vote, slashes the EPA's budget by 39%, or $3.9 billion, the lowest the agency has had in three decades, and requires the Biden administration to pursue drilling off the coast of Alaska.

It also provides a $1.6 billion increase in discretionary funding for the Wildland Fire Management accounts at the Department of the Interior and the Forest Service.

The Senate's version of the bill would give the EPA $9.9 billion, slightly below its current annual budget.

"Cutting funding is never easy or pretty, but with the national debt in excess of $33 trillion and inflation at an unacceptable level, we had to make tough choices to rein in federal spending," Rep. Mike Simpson, R-Idaho, who chairs the subcommittee that wrote the bill, said on the floor Thursday, according to the Hill.

The White House this week in a statement said President Joe Biden would veto the bill.

"Funding at such low levels would not only roll back key gains made by this administration to protect the health and well-being of American families, it would prevent any meaningful progress in this area for years to come, endangering communities now and for generations to come," the Biden administration said.

"These damaging cuts would drastically diminish the agency's ability to protect the air we breathe, the water we drink, the public lands we cherish, and the natural resources we count on, risking the health of millions of Americans."

%%%%

I know this is a test, along with the single item spending bill for Israel, but its an interesting turn of events and more in line with a common sense approach to legislating.

Posts: 53242 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It might fail, but it's better to have tried and failed than not to try at all, which is what the Republicans have been doing up to now.

Posts: 28021 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Not sure passing things into clearly defined bits that clearly won't get passed by the Senate and signed by the Resident is being productive.

Can't they stick this kind of thing into the next 'must pass' legislation?

This kind of ineffectual stuff is more accurately labeled as 'trying to be being seen as attempting' to reign in the EPA.

Posts: 15039 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Bundling legislations together MUST end.
This is how you end up with massive omnibus bills that nobody has read and tosses loads of cash around with no accountability.

One issue - one bill.
The end.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1545 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm happy they're trying. It's what we pay them for.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38729 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Bundling legislations together MUST end.
This is how you end up with massive omnibus bills that nobody has read and tosses loads of cash around with no accountability.

One issue - one bill.
The end.

Exactly right! If everything has to be a “you must pass it to see what’s in it” bill, then government spending will never get checked.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The only one-issue legislation that gets through is declaring February 31st "National Weed-eater Day" stuff.

The other side does it, we would be idiotic not to do it as well. Think of it as stuffing breakfast cereal into a box full of insect parts.

Posts: 15039 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
One of my requests is to bring back the traditional fuel can. You remember, it has a pour spout on one end, air venting on the other.

Once I see that, I’ll know the EPA has been ‘reigned in’.

OBTW, my fuel cans are older or ‘modified’, I’m just trying to help the next guy.

Posts: 6194 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
It seems to an agency of grifters not getting much done ("not" cleaning up after the biggest polluter the US Government).

During a Senate Energy Committee hearing Wednesday, Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) spoke about the EPA's failure to properly dispose of nuclear waste in St. Louis for decades.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
One of the complaints I've heard down through the years is environmentalist groups are given standing in courts much too easily. That might change soon.

Posts: 7555 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Razz

Q

Posts: 26522 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Razz

You reigning on the parade? Smile