SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    LEO's and Attorneys - Why is this legal?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LEO's and Attorneys - Why is this legal? Login/Join 
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
Can they perhaps use this as a "big stick" to force her to get some help in exchange for reducing the charges to a misdemeanor?
I think that was what Artie was alluding to, so that's probably where this is headed.

What I failed to post above is we began resorting to criminal charges so there would be court-ordered treatment put in place. It's the only thing that worked for some people. We had one woman we took into protective custody two dozen times over a year. We had to call out the team several of those times as she obtained firearms and barricaded herself-once in a car in a busy parking lot. We started filing criminal charges on her and it never happened again. We had a lot of success in cases like hers after that by filing criminal charges. I'm convinced she would have hurt someone or forced us to kill her if we hadn't changed tactics.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Bigdeal, as you note, she was arrested on a felony charge. That does not mean that she will be convicted on a felony charge. The arresting officers had enough, given her statements to hit the primary elements of FL Stat. 836.10, which I will quote below. That doesn't mean that she will be convicted or those offenses, but she hits the highpoints, so the arrest is valid under the statute. Note that she was let go on $5k bond. That probably means that the powers that be regard this as more of an idiot move than a true threat.

quote:
836.10 Written threats to kill, do bodily injury, or conduct a mass shooting or an act of terrorism; punishment; exemption from liability.—
(1) Any person who writes or composes and also sends or procures the sending of any letter, inscribed communication, or electronic communication, whether such letter or communication be signed or anonymous, to any person, containing a threat to kill or to do bodily injury to the person to whom such letter or communication is sent, or a threat to kill or do bodily injury to any member of the family of the person to whom such letter or communication is sent, or any person who makes, posts, or transmits a threat in a writing or other record, including an electronic record, to conduct a mass shooting or an act of terrorism, in any manner that would allow another person to view the threat, commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

She broke the law where she lived. The cops arrested her for it. I don’t want cops deciding which laws they should enforce and which laws they shouldn’t. We already had a pResident doing that and didn’t like it very much. The cops did their job. If the law sucks and is an overreach, the FL citizens need to pound on their legislators to fix that. As it stands, the District Attorney (another elected person) gets to decide how to proceed. He can charge with a felony and if he can convict her, make it so she can’t legally own a firearm. Or, if on examination, he decides that is too harsh, he can take other, lesser, measures. Still, the decision is made by someone directly responsible to the citizens who can be directly fired by the citizens. I think that is a whole lot better than expecting a beat cop (who typically has a lot less time to make the decision, and at least if the DA is doing his research, less information to make the decision) who is not directly hired and fired by the citizens to make the call.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post