SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The US Army's New Combat Fitness Test
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The US Army's New Combat Fitness Test Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
But how do pregnant women fare in the PT tests, particularly when wearing their newly issued maternity uniforms?

At Ft Lewis, there was a pregnant PT program. One of my sergeants ran it. She came to the orderly room about 1800, discussed some business, then delivered her baby by 2300. When I asked, yes she was in labor but didn’t want to make an issue of it.
As for the program, participants had fewer complications and a quicker recovery then those that didn’t.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I'm old school.
Can't fathom why 2 mile run, push-ups, and sit-ups can't determine one's fitness level.
My guess is the young generation are bigger and stronger naturally (due to the growth hormones they have been fed all their life), so some strength(not fitness), tests are added to make the test more favorable for today's young generation.

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And when I graduated Ft. Benning, maxxing the pt test meant 2 miles in 13.05 (easy for anyone young), 69(correct!!!!) pushups in 2 minutes(probably 80 plus after they screwed with the count, and 68 sit-ups in 2 minutes.
If you are capable of that you are ready for anything physical coming your way!

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Nothing says, "thank you for your service" like creating new standards to get rid of the old guys prior to having to pay them retirement.

I got caught in that game. At least I got my medical expenses covered...but it's a poor excuse for not getting a retirement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I saw some new information on this clusterfuck from the Sergeant Major of the Army; it's VERY clear they are in way too deep at this point to just come out and say "we really screwed this up and will be blowing it up to start over, until then the old PT test will have to do."

You see they have ACFT 3.0 now! It's really gonna work now, by golly! We added an optional plank to replace the leg tuck! That'll fix it! Big Grin

ACFT 3.0: Exploring a more inclusive scoring assessment, planks stay

LMAO, I'm hearing horror stories of National Guard units trying to get this test done and having everyone going 16 hour drill days. West Point was supposed to get all 1,000 of their people tested on one Saturday...it took them FOUR. Stories of how Soldiers are seeing the end of two year enlistments with NO PT TEST OF RECORD EVER DONE.

Now Congress got involved because of how many female Soldiers are failing this thing which is how you get into schools and special assignments, so in effect the Army's dumb gender-neutral experiment has totally backfired and now females are being shut out of schools and other opportunities.

ACFT FUBAR: Bad Data Driving a Bigger Wedge Between Active Duty and Reserves

I'd love to hear from some AD Army and some Reserves/NG people here on what is going on at your level with this boondoggle.

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agree it's the dumpster fire with no end in sight

epic fail on so many levels. a bureaucratic travesty.

and the guys / gals who dreamt it up are likely long gone from the Army enjoying their retirement Big Grin

i am on record as saying keep the old test and add an individual 10-15K road march w/ combat equipment requirement for time. Done.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just sent in my re-enlistment paperwork for another two years and I am done.

Most of it will be IRR time where I can pick my tours to get points.

Right now it is a cluster at my Counter Intel (Instructor) unit. This whole unit runs on paperwork and metrics and does not focus on bit on combat readiness.

Most people has not taken a PT test in 1 year or more and we are supposed to take the new ACFT in July. Most will fail, and most of us do not care.

I along with every one else in the Army received an email from the SGT Major regarding promotions and the ACFT.

As of now if you are an E4 promote-able you can take the test so you can put your packet in. If you fail there are no negative consequences.

Also, if you are deployed you do not have to take the test BUT BUT BUT we will give you a passing score on the test.

Now... if you are pregnant or are on post pregnant profile you are not required to take the test and will still be considered for promotion. They are doing this by giving them a 180 on the pT test. That is the lowest score you can receive if you took the test.

Soooo... We discussed the situation, and stated what a Crock of crap. So we all penciled whipped a 180 on our score cards and and put in for active duty tours.

Yet again, all the special people get the prizes without having to lift a darn finger.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Two minute push-ups and sit-ups with a two mile run worked for how many decades?

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Funny, exactly what I predicted on page 1.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Two minute push-ups and sit-ups with a two mile run worked for how many decades?

1980-2020

And all you needed was a clipboard, paper, pen and stopwatch

Now each unit needs tens of thousands of dollars of equipment and a place to store it all and people to maintain and set up/tear down.

What an absolute train wreck, but the most impressive part is no one involved with this travesty will admit to failure Eek

Posts: 33810 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I'd love to hear from some AD Army and some Reserves/NG people here on what is going on at your level with this boondoggle.

At my level.....

Currently we are using the last "official" APFT we took (from roughly April 2019) for all purposes (boards, FTNGD-OS packets, etc). During drill we are doing "familiarization" ACFTs, which are obviously not to standard. Here in WV, each unit does NOT have a set of equipment. The state has four (I think) sets, located throughout the state. We have to schedule and go to it in order to test. The set closest to us is about a half hour away, though I have heard some of the more rural units can be up to four hours travel time.

So far, we have not gone through it at "full speed"...usually there is some standing around and talking about what changes there are to events since ACFT v2.1.9 or whatever. Like when the plank part came out. We're being told the ACFT will go live in March of 2022. I'll be close to 19 years active service at that point, and well into "sanctuary" so I doubt I'll ever take it for real.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
20 Year E-7 mortarman here (Mostly M-day NG). It has been interesting. We'll just put one foot in front of the other and drive on; it will work out in the end. My biggest concern is R&R: even with basically free college not near as many young men are interested, and while I overall enjoy it and serve for many reasons and I think the money is decent, most guys don't think it is worth the effort.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
... i am on record as saying keep the old test and add an individual 10-15K road march w/ combat equipment requirement for time. Done...

^ I see that and could not argue against it. I suck at PT, but really like the concept of the ACFT. (The devil is in the details as we are seeing)

Any old school Ft Benning Soldiers will remember the bayonet assault course or the night infiltration course; those were brutal, but a true test on many levels. At mobilization station ~2007, we spent weeks on squad attack; the culminating life fire course was an excellent measure.

If I were CSM of the Army it would be:
Day-1: WARNO, PPC, PCIs, rehearsals, load out and a convoy
Day-2: Field Training to include patrols and MOS and level appropriate testing (Add as many days to this as time permits) Like XCTC if anyone in the reserves is familiar with this
Day-3: 10 mile+ road march to include Squad or Team land-nav; followed immediately by a squad attack lane (Throw in M4 qual if possible. Little harder to shoot after a few hard days/nights then getting smoked...)
^ This done correctly is an ass kicker and will prove if a Soldier and his Team are fit

Posts: 503 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
20 Year E-7 mortarman here (Mostly M-day NG). It has been interesting. We'll just put one foot in front of the other and drive on; it will work out in the end. My biggest concern is R&R: even with basically free college not near as many young men are interested, and while I overall enjoy it and serve for many reasons and I think the money is decent, most guys don't think it is worth the effort.

quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
... i am on record as saying keep the old test and add an individual 10-15K road march w/ combat equipment requirement for time. Done...

^ I see that and could not argue against it. I suck at PT, but really like the concept of the ACFT. (The devil is in the details as we are seeing)

Any old school Ft Benning Soldiers will remember the bayonet assault course or the night infiltration course; those were brutal, but a true test on many levels. At mobilization station ~2007, we spent weeks on squad attack; the culminating life fire course was an excellent measure.

If I were CSM of the Army it would be:
Day-1: WARNO, PPC, PCIs, rehearsals, load out and a convoy
Day-2: Field Training to include patrols and MOS and level appropriate testing (Add as many days to this as time permits) Like XCTC if anyone in the reserves is familiar with this
Day-3: 10 mile+ road march to include Squad or Team land-nav; followed immediately by a squad attack lane (Throw in M4 qual if possible. Little harder to shoot after a few hard days/nights then getting smoked...)
^ This done correctly is an ass kicker and will prove if a Soldier and his Team are fit

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That would be fine if your mission was to win a war. The mission of the military now is to social engineer.

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Now... if you are pregnant or are on post pregnant profile you are not required to take the test and will still be considered for promotion. They are doing this by giving them a 180 on the pT test. That is the lowest score you can receive if you took the test.

I know this bitch, yes she's an outright bitch, who takes advantage of the pregnancy thing. She's a 3 by 3: 3 kids by 3 different baby daddies. Milks the profile to the maximum time, gets pregnant and repeats. How she has gotten to the rank of major having gone years without taking a PT test is way beyond me. If she's not riding that pregnancy thing, she's "injured" and on profile.

She's a piece of trash. Spent her one deployment on Bagram, never left the base and talks big shit about her "combat" time.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
LMAO...

So it only took them 3 years to figure out that having the same scoring and standards for some 18 year old young buck and a 45 year old near the end of his career was a really dumb idea:

quote:

March 23, 2022:

U.S. Army’s New Fitness Test Ditches Gender-Neutral Scoring

--Army Combat Fitness Test becomes test of record Oct. 1
--Scoring for test will be based on gender and age bands

Leg tucks are out. The plank is in. And gone is the gender- and age-neutral scoring when the U.S. Army’s new combat fitness test becomes compulsory this fall.

Link

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I liked 209's comment in the other thread about how this is just part of the 'plot' to get women into previously male-only MOSs. I confess I never thought about it from that angle before and it makes a ton of sense (to me).

I'll be at 19+ years come 01 OCT 2022, and my retirement packet will have already been dropped, so whatevs. LOL

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After returning home from the gym I thought I would pop open my email and see what kind of spam I got.

Even though I was promoted back to USACAPOC, I am still on the email chain for the Intel Unit.

I received two emails: One was asking for volunteers to participate in the German Armed Forces Proficiency badge and the other was a multiple attachment email regarding the new Army PT test.

Well they changed it yet again...
Here are the key points...

Among the key changes announced by the Army are:
1. new age-and-gender-performance normed scoring scales
2. the replacement of the leg tuck with the plank for the core-strength assessment
3. the addition of the 2.5-mile walk as an alternate aerobic event.

I love this paragrap:::

Unlike the APFT, which went largely unchanged for 40 years, Army leaders believe the ACFT must be adaptable.

“Since 2018 we’ve said this test would evolve, and it has,” said Sgt. Maj. of the Army Michael Grinston.

Grinston noted the governance structure will continue to advance the ACFT to maximize the physical fitness of the force.

****Which means they will keep changing it till all the "Special Interest Groups" can pass.

What a joke...
I am done...
I have till 2024 then I am gone.
I was going to transfer to combat arms after this year but if I can get out early, I will

Let all the wack a doodles fight the war.
For the past 12 years I have destroyed my body trying to go to every school, deployment et..
For what... SO they can let sub standard peons ruin everything..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Thankfully my retirement orders shield me from this fuckery. Cool

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
It's a great feeling, isn't it? I'm coming up on 19 years in July. My packet is ready to drop. LOL

www.army.mil/acft for those interested.

posted Hide Post
If you look at the dates for retribution/reprimand, blah blah blah... I will be ready to DEROS

It is a shame because I really enjoyed being a soldier.
I did not want to go back to Silly Affairs because as an enlisted person it is a waste, and I wasted 10 years of my career there. (They never used my experience, training and skills).

I was hyped about going back to combat arms though...

I know I am grumpy, I hate change, and believe in honor, traditions and values but it is not just me...
I have met dozens of soldiers who are fed up and leaving after their first hitch..

This PT test is a political stunt and for certain individuals to get promoted and a bullet point next to their name...

So much for everyone is equal..
Well you are equal and better if you can check a certain box..