SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What happens if they are pulled over without a kid in a seat?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What happens if they are pulled over without a kid in a seat? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I have relatives who can't seem to stop reproducing. My cousin, about 30 years old now, met his wife and at that time she had two children from a previous marriage. And they have since added four children of their own to the first two. That makes for a family of eight, with the kids ages from 13 years to infant.

Before we go any further, yes, everyone else in the family realizes they should have stopped having kids. Feel free to call them names, we understand.

But back to the story. This morning they posted a picture of the family going out for the day. They were inside their mini-van, their only vehicle. Mom and Dad were in the front seats. The two smallest children, still in car seats, were in the second row. These are captain's chairs, just like in the front row. And in the third row, squeezed in tight, were the 6, 9 and 11 year old.

And that accounts for all seven seats and restraints in this vehicle. But the eighth person, a 13 year old girl, she was sitting behind the passenger seat, in front of the second row seat, on the floor. Which, I have to assume, must be her normal spot whenever they go anywhere as a family.

And this picture got me thinking, what would a police officer do to them if they got pulled over? Obviously they would get a ticket. But I am guessing he would not let them leave the scene with an unsecured minor? Would child services be called?

Posts: 2313 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
It's like at the end of an episode of Survivor, the police make the family take a vote, and whoever is the least popular child has to "leave the island", so to speak.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17005 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
Yep. Someone will take care of 'em.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Yep ticket and a child seat is coming to the scene before they leave. If not CPS will respond.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ceptor781:
Yep ticket and a child seat is coming to the scene before they leave. If not CPS will respond.

A child seat for a 13 year old?

I left my son in the car the other day with the windows cracked, while I went in the store. I'm not sure a teenager has enough common sense to get out of the car if it gets too hot, but I hope so.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't know about CPS for merely not being in a proper seat. It is possible, but doesn't seem a likely outcome if that is the only problem. Maybe I am wrong.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
The 6yr old needs at least a booster here and the 13yr old needs a seatbelt to go along with a seat

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
If they get into a good enough accident and that 13 year old will be in the middle of the road.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't know about CPS for merely not being in a proper seat. It is possible, but doesn't seem a likely outcome if that is the only problem. Maybe I am wrong.

Sadly they are more responsive in this type of scenario than when we call them about much more serious abuse.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'd be more worried about what will happen when they get into an accident than what will happen if they get pulled over.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17294 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
A child seat for a 13 year old?

A seat belt for the 13 year old, child seats as appropriate and a seat and seat belt for every occupant. The driver would be cited for whatever I pulled him over for in the first place, the seat belt violation and instructed not to drive until all passengers had seat belts or car seats as appropriate.

If he DID drive away without rectifying the problem and I caught him he'd be arrested for failure to follow the traffic instructions of a peace officer and misdemeanor child abuse if it was one of the children who was left improperly secured.

quote:
I'm not sure a teenager has enough common sense to get out of the car if it gets too hot, but I hope so.

Does he have enough sense not do be thrown thru the windshield in a crash... because that's what we're talking about.

quote:

Sadly they are more responsive in this type of scenario than when we call them about much more serious abuse.

Same here... because this kind of thing doesn't require that they actually do any work, unlike a malnutrition scenario or physical abuse.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
That makes for a family of eight, with the kids ages from 13 years to infant.

Well that just makes them average for around here!

I would expect they'd get a ticket here in Utah, but I don't know if the police would prevent them from leaving the scene without installing another seat in the vehicle. I still see boy scouts riding in the back of pickup trucks as they plant flag poles in front yards for all the holidays, and a fair number of off road vehicles seem to get driven around the quiet neighborhoods without anybody getting arrested.

My daughter just got a mini-van as they are adding child #4 in the next couple of weeks. But they did get the bench seats not captain's chairs. There's no reason your cousin can't trade out for a different vehicle with more seating capacity.

Posts: 9473 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
7 Passenger van....Family of 8! Roll Eyes

Sounds like their vehicle is inadequately configured for the size of their family. They need to ditch the 'captain's chairs' in the second row and get a bench seat! Maybe you should suggest they check with some salvage yards for more appropriate seating. And if they won't do it, maybe you could/should check for them.

The oldest is usually considered the toughest, but certainly not expendable! Their current situation is a tragedy waiting to happen!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8942 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanksoldier:
quote:
I'm not sure a teenager has enough common sense to get out of the car if it gets too hot, but I hope so.

Does he have enough sense not do be thrown thru the windshield in a crash... because that's what we're talking about.

Common sense and teenagers are often no more than passing acquaintances.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In NC it's 8 or 80 lbs...for a car seat/booster

But, if there are no more seat belts or the car was manufactured w/o seat belts then no citation should be issued.

It is also OK for a child to be unrestrained as long as you are attending to his/her "needs"..ie changing a diaper, or breastfeeding that requires the child to be out of the seat....

GS 20-135.2A
GS 20-137.1

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I don't know how many hundreds of miles we kids logged in the bed of an open pickup truck. Sometimes we sat on the open tail gate going down the road. Had zero injuries.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I don't know how many hundreds of miles we kids logged in the bed of an open pickup truck. Sometimes we sat on the open tail gate going down the road. Had zero injuries.

^^^^^THIS! OH, but, sure! Let's have some MORE GOVERNMENT to save us from ourselves. Yeah, we NEED that, don't we?

And to the OP: Who the hell are you to tell someone that they "should have stopped having kids"? NOYB. Period.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

^^^^^THIS! OH, but, sure! Let's have some MORE GOVERNMENT to save us from ourselves. Yeah, we NEED that, don't we?

And to the OP: Who the hell are you to tell someone that they "should have stopped having kids"? NOYB. Period.

Well, ya know, when they're unable to adequately pay for and take care of the kids they got, maybe those around them should gently remind them of the fact, before they start shitting out more.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17005 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
In NC ... if there are no more seat belts or the car was manufactured w/o seat belts then no citation should be issued.

I thought I remembered that law from growing up in NC. if everyone has a seatbelt on who can have a belt on, then it's okay.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Best case? Tickets.

Worst case? Arrested and the kids taken into protective custody.

Either way, they are fucking idiots for making that choice. A kid sitting on the floor of a van, at highway speeds, is going to die in a serious collision. I'm a bit tired of dealing with traffic crashes from people thrown through teh windshield, and those were all idiots that had the option of a seat belt and chose not to.

Another expample of idiots allowed to reproduce unchecked, while I don't get to.

I can't afford children, because I won't go on government assistance (although eligible), and waiting till 36 years old to make the decision as opposed to those at 18 who don't think twice about it.) But I'm still taxed for all their fuck trophy's.

Apparently natural selection has been reversed where only stupid people can breed.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post