SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    “He wasn’t fighting with the police, he was resisting,” Family of Michigan criminal, are you kidding me the insanity is boundless.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“He wasn’t fighting with the police, he was resisting,” Family of Michigan criminal, are you kidding me the insanity is boundless. Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
Let’s play the ghetto lottery…..

https://www.necn.com/news/nati...ichigan-cop/2723112/

Posts: 2780 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't they play that ticket.
Costs nothing to join in and the odds of a payoff are much better.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I see Ben Crump is involved.... shocking... Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
A little more background of his accomplishments. This is quoting from Deadline Detroit, a FB contributor and the Detroit News, one of the Detroit newspapers.

A fuller picture is emerging of Patrick Lyoya, who died at the hands of a Grand Rapids police officer early this month. The Detroit News has the deepest dive yet on the 26-year-old, who is described as fun-loving, attentive to family and a hard worker, but one who had repeated brushes with the law.

Featured_patrick_lyoya__gofundme_grand_rapids_police_shooting_4-4-22_53913
Patrick Lyoya (Photo: Instagram)
Lyoya and his parents immigrated in 2014 from the Democratic Republic of Congo, and settled in Lansing, although Patrick later moved to Grand Rapids.

The News reports in a subscribers-only article:

The portrait reveals Lyoya, an African immigrant who fled to the United States with his family for safety more than seven years ago, found love, friendship, a job in an auto parts factory and trouble with the law.

That includes two convictions for assaulting women, one of whom was pregnant; at least two arrests for crimes involving stolen cars, both of which were reduced to misdemeanors; and repeated drinking and driving, including one for which he was awaiting sentencing on the day he was killed.

The convictions contrast with memories shared by family and friends and in Lyoya's social media posts.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8127 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
And the Rev Al too

Posts: 11149 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How tactfully stated.

Them bitches prolly had it comin' Roll Eyes

Posts: 107706 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad choices, bad results. Simple traffic ticket, get your ticket, shut up & move on. Why run resulting in the foot chase? Why fight the cop? Why reach for the man’s taser?

Bad choice on his part Al!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, NetFlix put on a documentary called "Flint Town" that showed what a shithole it is. No doubt conditions there are worse now. No way I would be a cop there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
It's what criminals do. It's a script with no allowances for personal creativity up to and including common sense. You can see it in their face, between pure desperation and badly executed con, no options come to mind, except what's in the script. The only option they have is the timing of the break, at which point the script plays out. If the script were for a movie no one would come because it would be so boring.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I’m convinced 40% of the population is brain dead. As evidenced by Biden’s poll numbers & characters like this…

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The arsonist media is trying their best to get a fire started there but it does not seem to be taking hold yet. Perhaps the BLM credibility and fraud revelation is keeping the white guilt- ridden liberals out of it and at home.

The video pretty clearly depicts resisting with violence toward the officer and the guy trying to take the officer's taser is the clincher.

Staffing in police departments is always a challenge but I think I would beef up staffing to the extent possible to ensure backup or two-man cars in these high crime areas. Of course you can't do that when you are trying to de-fund the police.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for the new Chief out there.
Eric Windstrom. Good dude! He was a boss out her in Chicago, ran Area 5 Detective Division.
Phenomenal guy to work for. He's been there for about 35 seconds and this shit kicks off....

He left here to get away from that shit.
Well, that and lightfoot

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
That includes two convictions for assaulting women, one of whom was pregnant; at least two arrests for crimes involving stolen cars, both of which were reduced to misdemeanors; and repeated drinking and driving, including one for which he was awaiting sentencing on the day he was killed.
Great find! In other words, a guy who plea bargained for stealing 2 cars was pulled over for driving a vehicle that the plates didn't match the vehicle (i.e. probable cause for stolen car). Then the asshat fleas, then he fights, and then he tries to gain control of the officer's taser.

Justice was served on that lawn.

Fuck the arsonist media, Al Charlatan, and the anarchist activists.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23312 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A couple of years ago, NetFlix put on a documentary called "Flint Town" that showed what a shithole it is. No doubt conditions there are worse now. No way I would be a cop there.
This happened in Grand Rapids, not Flint. There is a difference, though that difference appears to be rapidly diminishing.

At least in Grand Rapids there are still decent places to be. Though I imagine, as more and more of this becomes more-and-more common, increasing numbers of law-abiding people will flee, leaving Grand Rapids to the likes of Lyoya, his family, and his friends.

IOW: Grand Rapids is heading toward shit-hole status. I expect that, within my lifetime, it will become another Michigan city I will no longer willingly enter--joining Detroit, Highland Park, Flint, Ecorse, Benton Harbor, Muskegon Heights, and a couple or so others. (Jackson? Kalamazoo?)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have made the point about the difference between Flint and GR. And you are correct that GR is a better town. My BMW dealer is in GR and the hospital here often refers people to GR medical facilities.
But I think all the major towns in the Lower Peninsula are headed in the direction of Flint.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16117 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Since I am not, neve been, in LE, ima just whip this pout of my ass.

Tasers, Pepper Spray and Less Lethal.
Throw it in the dumpster, lose that weight and carry more mags.

Cop work is like a blind man riding a thin skate board on ice, standing on a watermelon in a hurricane going downhill in San Francisco during an earthquake.

OK, I exaggerate. The watermelon is a bit much...

Cops should not be about doing stuff in a way that is likely to go sideways. And doing cop stuff is likley to go sideways.

It appears that many of the incidents with less lethal end up needing more lethal, and sometimes a whole lotta more lethal.

You know how many times I have been beaten, tazed, sprayed, shot and killed by the po-leece? Yeah, Zero.

Know why? Cus, I know Cops have guns, and training and the law gives them a bit more latitude in the manner of using lethal force once shit goes sideways. SO, I stay out of that patch of life that is the slippery slope.

I have never worried about being pulled over or any other way, encountering the police, and thinking "I am gonna get my ass beaten, tazed, sprayed, shot and killed by the po-leece! Never.

And it is not because I am white. I have seen that white people's privilege gets their ass beaten, tazed, sprayed, shot and killed by the po-leece than black people by the percentage.

I am very lucky at 50/50 drawings, raffles and games of percentages, so I did the maff and came up with, "stay off that targeting radar".

But seriously, Once a situation gets to the point of lethality, too many incidents push that employment beyond the reasonable, and the "switch to necessary lethal" means, is then compromised, less control, and likely to fail the officer and or the public.

If a person cannot use lethal force only when and absolutely when it is required, they should not be in that business.

We can see the trend of when the law began to move back from the control of the "thin blue line" and the line became a string, moved and blown around by public opinion lead by agenda driven reporting and litigation. And over time, criminals realized that they would do less time, and be able to continue to criminal themselves as they want.

Then came the issue of those career criminals realizing that they would first, would be less likely to encounter the hickory, or the rough treatment, and then the less lethal parade of toys, and career criminals became franchised.

I have firearms because I have no reservations about defending and protecting myself and loved ones behind me. I am not concerned about any criminal or other intent on causing me grave harm, I already "walked to that point, looked around, made the decision. I will do whatever I can to avoid such a thing.

So, I will not have a tazer, pepper spray, or even a stick.

All of the things this society is doing to "soften the hard sharp edge of the law" results in a slow and agonizing death by a thousand cuts of a dull knife.

Police encounter by criminals, should be understood the same as war. It is brutal, it is life ending, it doesn't give a shit, when it goes sideways. But when people do the right things, and seek and live peaceably, their is no war or death or brutality.

Get pulled over, present the papers you agreed to when you obtained your driving privilege, to the man you, as a citizen of this country, have agreed to answer to in this regard.

If you have any encounter with the police, be compliant. It is unlikely your resisting in any manner is going to convince the cop to simply let you go. So go with the program. If you have to go to court over bullshit, go, deal and move on in life.

No matter if the police are devoid of less lethal and hard as diamond, or dressed as Teddy Bears with Nerf guns and pool noodles, handing out candy, it will not lessen an encounter and going through the motions.

You still end up dealing with the system.

I recommend we put away the idea that encounters with the police need less lethal, need to put both cops and public in a situation these typically lead to, and realize that an armed and ready police force is to deal with hard crime/criminals, and people need be less likely to do the things that get them in the arena.

"But what about the crazy person, the mentally challenged, the (whatever poor soul that is not that threat but non-complient?"

Family's and friends need to step up in life and deal with those that have such issues, and if the things I mentioned above were the given, police would actually be less likely to swarm, often multiple cops yelling confusing commands "show me your drop get on gun the stop hands ground the resisting!" and almost all of them trying to "get in there!".

We've seen the videos, a pack of police and a bad situation going all shitshow and "one dog barks, all the dogs bark". It is not a criticism of the police, it is a criticism of the focus of training, bad policies and efforts to prevent what it actually encourages, things going badly, because criminals think they can resist, fight and or flee and actually get away with things, and even use all of the resultant confusion, and mayhem to their advantage in court, or in the case of death, as "proof" that the police are ill equipped and trained to deal with criminals without counselors, less police numbers, without more "less lethal means" and whatever they can find in the Felix the Cat's bag of silliness.

I support well led Law Enforcement, and have the utmost respect for those that fight facing forward to the streets, and looking back at the machine, while selflessly serving others.

And utter contempt for those in the machine that serve self instead of others, and the dirt that is in the street.

Be safe, Stay safe, go home safe, end of every shift.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:

You know, we used to hang people for stealing a horse (back when it was the mode of transport)

If we did some more of that, we’d see a lot less of car stealing…or at least more than once.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is stupidly amazing at how many people back criminals and state they were good people at heart. When you have numerous issues with the law that you are arrested for, you need to be held accountable and those around you need to be quiet. It seems the days of self accountability are over.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
If you really want to reduce some of the officer involved shootings, it would be a swell idea to start teaching kids in public school how to comply when interacting with the police. Instead, we have a broken media screaming constantly that the police are rogue and illegitimate. The whole thing ends badly.

Posts: 1974 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
If you really want to reduce some of the officer involved shootings, it would be a swell idea to start teaching kids in public school how to comply when interacting with the police.
Even more basic and fundamental. Teaching personal responsibility and consequences. For example:
  • Parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, guardians, etc. teaching kids to not break the law would go a long way too.
  • the life lesson of actually getting punished at school when they break a rule.

Way better to learn there are consequences for actions at a young age than as a teen or adult alongside the road with an armed and trained LEO.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23312 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post